Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree30Likes
  • 7 Post By StrikerNZ
  • 1 Post By gimp
  • 1 Post By GravelBen
  • 3 Post By 257weatherby
  • 6 Post By 257weatherby
  • 4 Post By 257weatherby
  • 8 Post By gadgetman

Thread: So who is living in the Mackenzie country?

So who is living in the Mackenzie country?

Wife and I have agreed on buying a holiday house, possibly in the Mackenzie country, looking at Fairlie at the mo, Have hunted Two Thumbs on and off for over 30yrs, love the place, so Fairlie seems like a good spot. Tekapo is fucked now. Have been hearing Wallabies are now established in the basin, how hard are the local run holders to get on board with?, are the locals good sorts? anybody with insider knowledge about the people and place feel free to weigh in with whatever,

Anywhere we do buy will be close to decent hunting areas, and close enough to Christchurch that going down (or up) after work on a Friday is not an embuggerment. Park a cheapy Hilux hack or something like, permanently at the house and drive to the house in car, then swap over, liking this plan so far!

Fairlie is a great wee place. Where I've spent most of my time these last couple of years..

If you've been around the area, you know how well Fairlie is placed. Not far at all to great hunting grounds for Red, Fallow, Tahr. Nice lake nearby with good trout numbers. Better weather than the coastal areas, but not quite the exposure of tekapo, or the burning dry summer of twizel. Still get the nor-wests most of the time though. 1-2 Moderate snow dumps per winter, but winter itself is generally still clear and blue, not like the grey dreariness of southland.

Being right on the tourist route allows us to support better shops than you'd expect for the size of the town - The Bakehouse in particular. You haven't had a pie until you've had a bakehouse salmon & bacon, or pork belly, etc etc. (Guess what I had for lunch today..)

The town itself is pretty positive, with a lot of people keen to keep it moving forward.

It's still a fairly small rural town though, so expect whatever comes with that territory..

Regarding property - Don't waste too much time if you're keen. The agents are all busy looking for places to sell, as this last year in particular, there's been a heap of new buyer interest. This will likely start the prices heading upwards soon enough.

Wallabies... all you can eat. Very well established on the nearby hills in their thousands. From Mt. Dobson all the way down the hills to Waimate. Decent numbers of fallow around the place too. Most of the locals seem pretty good folk. Town cop is a good sort too. You shouldn't have too much issue finding a place to shoot, especially if you're just after wallabies and happy to leave the fallow alone until the cocky knows you a bit better.

Oh hang on.. I mean Fairlie is rubbish, don't move here.

Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    Salmon and bacon pies! That sounds rather good...... (I've tried the pork belly 2 times, and I reckon they are over rated.)

Oh and on topic, bloody magic place for holiday home. Friday after work drive no issue. I'm in Timaru, commute on Friday from all places, so drive from chc airport. 2 hrs (no matter what time of day) from getting bag of belt, to putting it the house.
    Agree with striker, buy quick as prices are on the climb....
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

So is west pack bank closing in fairlie by the way?

Good gunsmith down there ( Ziggliani)

Yeah the westpac is one of 17 they're 'reviewing' if they close it or not. Although when 100+ people from a town of only 700 shows up to protest it, you've probably struck a bit of feeling there..

Not too far to Timaru for that anyway, if you need to visit a bank in person.

The pork belly pie is a sad disappointment, all the ones I've had have been rubbery. Keep trying just in case they've worked out that it needs to be slow cooked though.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    The pork belly pie is a sad disappointment, all the ones I've had have been rubbery. Keep trying just in case they've worked out that it needs to be slow cooked though.
    You must have been unlucky, the ones I've had were all fantastic '
    Matt2308 likes this.

I've had 3 of them and they all had tough, chewy, pork

I've had... I wasn't counting but its more than 3 if we're playing that game. And the cronuts, oh yes... I should probably go for a run or something after even thinking about them.

Went down to Fairlie today to look at properties for sale, putting in an offer on one next week, really good dealing with a real estate agent that wasn't pushing to get a sale done now,now,now, sign up now because I have 6 other people want this!. Went for a wander about the place, had a nice feel to it, had a pie, ordinary old mince pie from "The Bakehouse" really bloody good it was too!
    StrikerNZ, Matt2308 and oraki like this.

Offer made, counter offer put forward, counter conditions put forward, agreement reached!

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Offer made, counter offer put forward, counter conditions put forward, agreement reached!
    Cool, great place.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Long weekend spent shifting all our extra acquired stuff to the house in Fairlie, cleaning, fixing, planning, going yes dear, no dear as the wife gives her orders, at least the double garage with it's sleepout and mezzanine floor are mine! Back down there next weekend to cart some more stuff and do some more fixing, then with luck I'll be able to start working on contacts for reducing the local wallaby population and maybe the odd bambi.

Tell ya, didn't realise I had so many close and affectionate rellies until we got a holiday house

Sounds like a cool "Hunting Retreat" you have there, now it's time to enjoy it. ( and the pies)

Good news cousin @257weatherby. Let me know when the work is all done.
    puku, 7mmsaum, Pointer and 5 others like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!