Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: So the wife wanted a record player ....

So the wife wanted a record player ....

You would think you could go buy one - no you need this , that and something else and dont forget the cables - $$$$ later i listen to 1970 records (a lot better than when i was a kid though) - who would have thought something so simple could be so hard

Did get me way from other thoughts at the moment - even though i was in no mans land
    Reprosniffer likes this.

yes I bet they are a "Boutique" Item these days.

I still have a 1970's Sansui record player somewhere to resurrect. One day when I run out of other projects...

I love the organic sound of the 100% analogue recordings.

Just like rifles, there is a lot of mediocre stuff on the shelves that look good, but when you get into it you soon find out that there are no limits on what you can spend.
    GravelBen likes this.
    Remember the 7 Ps; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Trademe. Mines a bitzer, Akai deck, Sony EQ/amp and JVC speakers. Sounds good though.
    More meplat, more better.

SiB
    There are basic plug n play turntables that will talk to your pc and allow you to create a MIDI (?) sound file for copying and playing via MP3 player etc

Poor quality turntable though. You gets what you pays for - if you want transcription quality straight through to your sound system then the sky is the limit.

As others have said you can spend huge amounts of money on that stuff! Expensive cables are a big snake-oil scam though IMO.

I think for a lot of people playing records is about nostalgia more than anything else.

While I can understand some people preferring the different sound signature of records, by quantifiable measures good modern recording formats are better quality and higher fidelity etc as well as more convenient.
    gadgetman likes this.

a word on turntables the cartridges come in 3 types.
    ceramic: cheap and nasty but no phono preamp required but they tend to track heavy so wear out you vinyl quick and sound "crackley"
    moving magnet "MM" probably the most common. needs a pre-amp or a n amp with a phono stage. expect to spend $50-5000 for a cartridge
    moving coil "MC" creme de la creme and requires a different pre-amp to MM, i have seen turntables in excess of $100K using one but expect 500-1000 just for the cartridge and stylus

my turntable is a bitsa made up over the years. its connected to a yamaha 7.2.2 amp at present but i am currently building an amp just for playing vinyl.
    the home theater amp is ok, great for movies etc but isnt clinical enough for me, but then again i'm a fussy bugga when it comes to audio.
    keneff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    As others have said you can spend huge amounts of money on that stuff! Expensive cables are a big snake-oil scam though IMO.

I think for a lot of people playing records is about nostalgia more than anything else.

While I can understand some people preferring the different sound signature of records, by quantifiable measures good modern recording formats are better quality and higher fidelity etc as well as more convenient.
    to give an example there is roughly 4 times more info on vinyl than a cd, theres can be 20 times more info on a cd than an mp3.
    lots is lost converting analog to digital and back again. but if you want to listen to 99.9% of the bullshit called music nowadays then you wont know the difference.
    keneff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    a word on turntables the cartridges come in 3 types.
    ceramic: cheap and nasty but no phono preamp required but they tend to track heavy so wear out you vinyl quick and sound "crackley"
    moving magnet "MM" probably the most common. needs a pre-amp or a n amp with a phono stage. expect to spend $50-5000 for a cartridge
    moving coil "MC" creme de la creme and requires a different pre-amp to MM, i have seen turntables in excess of $100K using one but expect 500-1000 just for the cartridge and stylus

my turntable is a bitsa made up over the years. its connected to a yamaha 7.2.2 amp at present but i am currently building an amp just for playing vinyl.
    the home theater amp is ok, great for movies etc but isnt clinical enough for me, but then again i'm a fussy bugga when it comes to audio.
    Clearly, you are a man that values suppressors and hearing protection! My semi-buggered ears (courtesy of the South African Army) can't hear half the information in an MP3!
    keneff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    Clearly, you are a man that values suppressors and hearing protection! My semi-buggered ears (courtesy of the South African Army) can't hear half the information in an MP3!
    well lets put it this way, many years ago gundoc came to visit and his opinion was "f** thats loud" and i now have it even bigger!
    2 column speakers, one wall speaker. 6 ceiling speakers, and a double 12 sub-woofer
    coming soon subsonic transducers in the couch and chairs !!
    at my last place (single glazed) i managed to break a window playing "paranoid" as the neighbours cranked their stereo up at 3 am with rap music. i may have broken a window but i won the war as a few seconds later they got the hint and shut down their system
    300CALMAN, keneff and planenutz like this.

to give an example there is roughly 4 times more info on vinyl than a cd, theres can be 20 times more info on a cd than an mp3.
    lots is lost converting analog to digital and back again. but if you want to listen to 99.9% of the bullshit called music nowadays then you wont know the difference.
    Its an incorrect example though, vinyl has a whole set of its own physical limitations and compromises with more distortion and system noise, less dynamic range, less stereo separation etc. You might prefer its sound (and the sense of involvement from the physical aspects) and there is nothing wrong with that - but it is a measurably less accurate copy of the original music.

Bit of reading for you...
    https://phys.org/news/2016-07-music-vinyl-cds.html
    https://www.vox.com/2014/4/19/562605...etter-than-cds
    https://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?s...doc_id=1283408

Lossy file types like MP3 or AAC do lose some data in the compression as you say, but FLAC etc are lossless - if you convert a CD to FLAC digital and back again, you lose nothing at all. Some studios record direct to digital in much higher quality than CD, 192khz/24bit recordings etc compared to CD 44.1khz/16bit.

I certainly agree about the quality of a lot of modern music though, especially the overproduced compressed to hell pop trash.

doesnt matter what conversion you use, it still has losses.
    FlAC is the best of the bad bunch but nothing comes close to analog to analog thru amplification. i remember installing cd players into broadcast radio stations thinking this in the end, then they wanted everything processed beyond belief using things like texars and optimod till it sounded so artificial i just gave up listening. shame really i used to enjoy my broadcast days

CD's are effectively lossless other than quantization error, which is much lower than the noise and distortion from vinyl. Yes it does have a sampling limit of roughly 44kHz, which is over double the frequency we can hear of 20kHz when you're younger, and any claim that vinyl allows those higher frequencies is rubbish as the tend to get filtered out and we can't hear them. The bit about a warmer sound is simply noise.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    CD's are effectively lossless other than quantization error, which is much lower than the noise and distortion from vinyl. Yes it does have a sampling limit of roughly 44kHz, which is over double the frequency we can hear of 20kHz when you're younger, and any claim that vinyl allows those higher frequencies is rubbish as the tend to get filtered out and we can't hear them. The bit about a warmer sound is simply noise.
    ahh gadget i claim bs to your your reasoning, at my ripe old age of 50+ i still hear over 20k.
    then there are the harmonics and subs that only analog can give

ahh gadget i claim bs to your your reasoning, at my ripe old age of 50+ i still hear over 20k.
    then there are the harmonics and subs that only analog can give
    I'm on the downward slide to 60, but still officially only 21 and a bit, and I can still hear the higher frequencies too. Science trumps your claim of BS. It is still in the end analogue in and analogue out, but the bit in the middle is better handled by digital as it is essentially lossless with 16 bit ADC.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!