Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree192Likes

Thread: Speed limits - lower?

Speed limits - lower?

The current news cycle is full of an apparent move by the NZTA to lower speed limits around the country. Where, and by how much, will apparently be made public soon.

I drive two vehicles. A 2014 Hilux and a 2010 Highlander. I'm pretty sensible. I drive to conditions, I don't speed, I maintain a proper following distance based on a basic understanding of physics. I can judge when I have enough power and distance to overtake, and do it safely without pissing anyone off. I am pretty switched onto the vehicles' dynamics and feedback through the controls and the seat of my pants. I maintain the vehicles fastidiously myself, I pay regular attention to tyre condition and pressures, I use high power spotlights at night and I replace my wiper blades frequently. I drive with my lights on at all times, I use engine braking on the auto box in the Highlander, I can usually spot ice, potholes and standing water and I know how wide my car is. I don't roll through stop signs, I look each way twice minimum at T-junctions and I give way as per the signage. I have handsfree Bluetooth and I do not engage with my phone when driving, nor do I eat McDonalds burgers while driving.

So clearly after that list I reckon I'm pretty shit hot eh. Fuck. Listen to me.

Anyway. Every trip down to the Ruapehu District, from here that's across the Hauraki Plains, and down SH3 and SH4, I am confronted by extreme tailgating, overtaking on blind bends and crests / solid double yellows / solid whites, drivers talking on their phones, drivers looking down into their laps, drivers reaching behind them, drivers holding the steering wheel with their knees while they eat, cars straddling the centreline or completely on my side of the road, cars not stopping at Stop signs, cars pulling put from side roads in front of me when they can clearly see there is no one behind me, forcing me to brake hard... I routinely come up behind cars driving 20-40km/h below the speed limit in clear and safe conditions, I recently drove behind yet another car with the distinct smell of weed leaking out of it, I have ex-colleagues and acquaintances who happily drink multiple jugs of beer on Friday night and drive home, and I live next door to a meth addicted alcoholic who this week "came out" as an addict in spectacular fashion (in the local newspaper) with the claim that she has crashed every car she's ever had in 25 years of driving blind fucking smashed out of her fucking skull. The last one of which was last year August, when I confronted her in her yard after she drove up our road weaving all over the shop with her left front tyre burst, delaminating and smashing up the guard, this after she drove off a straight section of road into the table drain. She says she can't even remember the incident.

Also last year, I drove over the Harbour Bridge on a rare foray into Auckland, and passed a woman doing her makeup with both hands as she drove, using the mirror on the sunshade. I just about freakin' blew my stack.

Shit. Am I ranting?

So now, I am facing the prospect of being forced to drive at (a likely) 80km/h on long journeys on roads that don't kill people because of speed, but kill people because they are fuckwits.

This is really winding me up, the very notion that this is on the table. Sure, I can think of lots of places where the speed limit makes no sense whatsoever. I'm not talking about those aberrations, I am talking about a blanket approach to the road toll that does not even try and address the habitual moronic habits of so many of the arsewipes on our roads. So, to fix the "problem", yet again I must suffer the consequence of other people's incessant idiocy.

Like the shit-for brains cunt that smoked "synnies" all day before driving off and killing himself, his kids and four elderly members of the Waverley community? Seven people dead because he chose to smoke chemicals and drive, like he had every day for however many years. That is not acceptable. Why those around these fucktards don't stamp on it I cannot understand, you can't tell me they don't know.

Our road toll is getting higher because of speed. The N-methyl-1-phenylpropan-2-amine version. And cell phones, unrestrained children, no seatbelts, booze, weed, poor maintenance, driver inattention and... last but not least... the total lack of awareness or apparent concern about what happens when a human body instantaneously transfers all its kinetic energy into hard things.

I'm over it fellas. We are about to get blanket nannied by the state instead of them going after the real underlying causes of so much that is going badly wrong in our society. Its called "being seen to do something but actually taking the easy way out, not addressing root cause, resulting in long term ineffectual penalties on the majority of sensible people."

Rant over.
    Britain's Favourite Dog 2019!

Good rant mate

You have officially reached 'grumpy old bugger status.'

Yes the problem is not the roads but a lot of the idiots out there that are on it. Unfortunately the powers that be tend to like to cater to the lowest uncommon denominator and everyone else gets forced to make it easier for them. these nupties should be forced onto public transport, however that just creates problems for those that run the public transport.

Mind you, you are not going to like this, there are times when I wish the speed limits were lower just so I can get the odd brief glimpse of the scenery I'm passing by. But generally the cars are made to go 100km/h or higher.
    sneeze, veitnamcam, Maca49 and 4 others like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

On the other hand. I drove around 100,000ks a year. I've seen fatal crashes I've been there first. Not once not twice but 3 seperate occasions. Nothing about speed had anything to do with any of them. They where all driver mistakes and either doing something stupid especially on ice, overtaking, fatigue.

I already owe thousands in fines from a rather enjoyable Sports car I own only because it goes like a cut cat and never been involved in a motor accident myself as I am always on the defensive while driving especially around High tourist areas.

To me personally this has nothing to do with Saftey. Yet everything to do with revenue collection.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    You have officially reached 'grumpy old bugger status.'
    That is irrefutable. I am growing increasingly grumpy with middle age. I am happy to be allowed by you lot to occasionally vent and rant. It tends to go down like a cup of cold sick at home, even the dogs leave the room, and I am left with an audience of one... me.
    Britain's Favourite Dog 2019!

LBD
    Goose Bay is on to it ... lower limits mean more speeding means more revenue....
    Maca49, A330driver and xtightg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    That is irrefutable. I am growing increasingly grumpy with middle age. I am happy to be allowed by you lot to occasionally vent and rant. It tends to go down like a cup of cold sick at home, even the dogs leave the room, and I am left with an audience of one... me.
    I have to try really hard to pull off 'grumpy old bugger', but no body believes it anyway.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I see it a work all the time, customer sends complaint, staff identified as not completing task correctly, big boss puts in more rules, staff member stuffs up again and around and around we go. Root Cause has to be addressed or shit will not change, you watch with these new gun laws......

We do have some tragic excuses for roads in some places though
    striker, gadgetman, tetawa and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I see it a work all the time, customer sends complaint, staff identified as not completing task correctly, big boss puts in more rules, staff member stuffs up again and around and around we go. Root Cause has to be addressed or shit will not change, you watch with these new gun laws......

We do have some tragic excuses for roads in some places though
    But it is easy enough to drive to the condition of any road, from a riverbed up to a multi lane highway. Some of the roads in the offshore island that are complaining about are better than our main highways down here.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    But it is easy enough to drive to the condition of any road, from a riverbed up to a multi lane highway. Some of the roads in the offshore island that are complaining about are better than our main highways down here.
    And some of your roads are better than our main highways.....next

Time to go on the de-cafe for awhile mate
    veitnamcam likes this.

well Im a professional driver and have just spent the last week doing some long days on a popular tourist route....seen some shocking behaviour...mostly in rental cars (go figure) Im anul about letting cars past ASAP the road is clear of oncoming traffic or I can get over onto the shoulder to allow safe overtaking...I DONT speed....there will be maybe 5-6 oversppeds recorded against my truck per day for that 700ish km run....mostly on short downhill bits or when EROAD hasnt woken up to the fact we are actually out of the town yet.
    in SOME places eg windy gorges with black ice a regular occurance...a reduced speed limit might help. some more wide sections of shoulder or better still layby sections 500 yards long would be plurry awesome,a fella could get off road,check load (and maybe even have a pee) to break up a journey.

years ago a long section of SH1 through washdyke (north section of Timaru) had some pretty major resurface work done to it,for a month it was reduced from 70kmph to 30kmph with a strange/funny result...traffic flowed BETTER !!!!! you could get out into flow easy as it only took a small gap,you saw someone wanting to get out into flow and you let them out as it didnt make diddly squat difference to your journey time either. if you looked at the big picture it normally takes maybe 3minutes to travel through the section,it maybe took 4mins.

as for revenue collecting

easy to remove it,just up taxes to cover deficit (shock horror) or up petrol price again to cover it(shock horror gasp,choke on coffee) or speed limit ALL cars so they can only exceed 100kmph for 30 seconds at a time and can only do so say once every 15minutes...that allows you to overtake any vechile you cant overtake given that criteria obviously isnt going slow at all....

easy to also have speed limiter whenever vechile enters a township.....50 or even 30kmph...man that would piss off the people who zip down to the shop in a hurry.
    back in the 90s cars used to go "ding dong ding dong" if you went above 100kmph....both my GPS units have same option...it does help to remind you IF you creep up in speed.

EVERY SINGLE vechile accident has one thing in common...you were traveling to fast for the conditions,even a head on.....if you were not going so fast you might have been able to avoid it. any time a vechile slides off road..too fast...fails to stop...too fast,rear ends too fast. T bones...too fast. yes I agree you cant avoid another fudgewit who crosses centreline,BUT if you are going slower you MIGHT have time to take evasive action without youself loosing control...if said fudgewit was going slower they MIGHT see your flashed lights or hear horn blaring.
    257weatherby likes this.

About 3 million ks on NZ roads,all in cars and utes, many in the 70s and 80s at 100 MPH. Nothing wrong with NZ roads, people cannot drive, to many distractions, and driving is now considered a pass time, not a real job. It will be hard to drive at 80ks, my ute wont like it. The Kaimais at 60ks is a joke, if you cant do that at 80ks you should have a licence!!
    And Genter? is American? so shouldnt we be driving on the Left like the tourists?
    veitnamcam and tetawa like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

GWH
    @Flyblown

I'm right there with ya brother. As I was reading your post, I was thinking holy shit this fella has read my mind.

The mere thought of the speed limit being reduced makes me shudder with disbelief and amaizment that our dim witted Govt can be so bloody stupid yet again.

There's no problem with our roads but there is a major problem with many of the drivers on them.

I too relate to all you said about your level of driving ability and skill (simple stuff relating to vehicle control and balance and simple laws of physics)

But it seems this simple stuff is missing in many drivers.

Ive said for many years now, i believe everyone needs to go through an advanced driving course. Where they get to experience practice and learn how to control a vehicle in extreme conditions. Heavy braking, skid control, sudden swerving that upsets car balance and promotes sliding. Etc etc.

The other thing I see is a major contributing factor to accidents is people hesitating. Ie don't fuck around just put ya fucken foot down and commit to passing. Rather than humming and arring. People need to understand what their vehicle is capable of and what it's not.

When I got my Drivers license at 15 I joined a car club and was involved in motor racing for many years. You learn all this stuff very fast.

Unfortunately for many people the first time they get into a sticky situation they come to grief as they've never experienced it before and don't know what to do.

I believe Greg Murphy in conjunction with another chap is currently planning an advanced driving programme. I'd like nothing more than this getting rolled out nationally and made compulsory for all drivers, including all new drivers moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    And some of your roads are better than our main highways.....next
    The issue is that the easier they make things to drive / be driven the less people get to learn how to cope. When things do eventually go haywire the situation is often a lot worse. ABS, I can drive closer to the guy in front, less reaction time. Stability control, I can go faster round the bends, Opps, too fast for the stability control and I don't know what to do. Flasher roads, I can go flat out everywhere, ... well maybe I shouldn't have there. I'm just pointing out that roads up there are generally better than down here and that going by the stats it isn't really helping.

It's a bit like buying all the semi's off the law abiding to stop those with no regard for the laws.
    Micky Duck likes this.