Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tentman

Thread: Spuds vs Frost

Spuds vs Frost

Hi team I put a late crop of spuds in around 90 odd days ago they have turned out really good , we,v just had a couple of frosts im thinking just leave them in the ground till they die off completely or am I better off digging them all up now and putting them in a sac ?
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

either way is fine (not that I do gardening but my wife does and what she says goes !!) BUT if you leave them in and it gets real wet (seems unlikely in Southland this season, I reckon we have the best weather in the country for the last 12 month !!) they are a bugger to get out
    Boaraxa likes this.

Just like @Tentman says leave in the ground and dig as required. If the ground can get water logged, dig them spuds rot really fast if they are under water for any length of time, Store in hessian sack's(coffee bean bags would work) if you can get them in a dark cool dry shed and protect from frost. Don't know if you can still get a power to stop them sprouting in the bag or not
    "you belong somewhere you feel free"-Tom Petty

I've just dug ...digged, whatever mine ,miserably disappointed at the "stabbed with the fork" ratio,
    Also , in a not totally unrelated topic (she was watching the carnage) can someone be a complete halfwitt ?
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    I've just dug ...digged, whatever mine ,miserably disappointed at the "stabbed with the fork" ratio,
    Also , in a not totally unrelated topic (she was watching the carnage) can someone be a complete halfwitt ?
    An interesting word 'Dug' spuds that have been 'dug' would be dugged - but they are not, and they are not digged either but actually picked because the machines that do most of the removal from the soil commercially are 'spud pickers'.
    I digress, don't use a fork. Use a shovel and dig a hole at the start of the row and then keeping wide of each plant lift and turn the soil over and into the proceeding hole - your wife kneeling beside you and collecting the spuds as you dig - this keeps her gaze downwards as it should be in your presence.
    'Bother' said Pooh, as he chambered another round ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Hi team I put a late crop of spuds in around 90 odd days ago they have turned out really good , we,v just had a couple of frosts im thinking just leave them in the ground till they die off completely or am I better off digging them all up now and putting them in a sac ?
    I would leave them be, but eat them before any other spuds you have, those late ones won't keep as well as spuds that have matured longer in the ground.
    'Bother' said Pooh, as he chambered another round ...