Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LOC
  • 2 Post By jakewire

Thread: Stager Sport: straight up or not?

Stager Sport: straight up or not?

Anybody has dealings with Stager Sport Canterbury?, twice have got in on bidding on M12 rifles (trade me), dollar reserve gets met, bidding not going where they would like and the auction disappears, only to reappear another time with different pricing.

Am I wrong to believe that "reserve met" means it is selling to the highest bidder and the seller is legally tied to it?

Comment invited from anybody that understands the actual legal obligation, or has an alternate logic for disappearing auctions.

Have posted a comment on the new auction, they reply (if any) will perhaps be illuminating....

They listed some a while ago I remember. Reading the auction for one which came with two barrels looked like a good outfit. Someone asked about mag and bolt head for other caliber, not included in the auction and not available in NZ. Pretty dodgy way of getting rid of dead stock and a rifled garden stake I thought. Was seriously considering bidding but if that’s how the importer behaves I’ll look elsewhere.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Stager Sport: straight up or not?

I've always found dealing with Stager was hard work. Last time I bought a Javelin bipod accessory from Vertebrae as Stager didn't bother to answer me. Previously I've bought Blaser gear into NZ at prices they advised were not possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kiwijames; 20-06-2019 at 10:50 PM.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

I have not had an issue. Have bought an F3, an R8 and multiple suppressors through them and the service has been fantastic.

I dealt direct and found them bloody accommodating and helpful.
    Dan M

So far 50% each way feedback, less than ideal.

I have dealt with Joel there in recent times over a Javelin bipod and accessories. I have found them professional and pleasant to deal with.

LOC
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    So far 50% each way feedback, less than ideal.
    Found them very good on a few occasions. Joel is a good guy

Why donít you give him a call and try to negotiate a price outside of trademe? Will save fees etc so may work in both of your favours
    ishoot10s likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Anybody has dealings with Stager Sport Canterbury?, twice have got in on bidding on M12 rifles (trade me), dollar reserve gets met, bidding not going where they would like and the auction disappears, only to reappear another time with different pricing.

Am I wrong to believe that "reserve met" means it is selling to the highest bidder and the seller is legally tied to it?

Comment invited from anybody that understands the actual legal obligation, or has an alternate logic for disappearing auctions.

Have posted a comment on the new auction, they reply (if any) will perhaps be illuminating....
    I do not know if online Auctions are bound by the same laws as conventional actions. TM has rules for buyers and sellers which should assume have been checked to make sure that they are legal. In a conventional auction the parties are only bound when the offer is accepted by the auctioneer. - 'By fall of the hammer or other customary manner'
    The question arises as to 'who is the auctioneer' as stager is the seller and pay TM for selling. When an auction is conducted 'without reserve' and the auctioneer refuses to 'knock down ' the goods to the highest bidder then the buyer can challenge the auctioneer. It could be held that TM has contracted with all potential buyers to sell for any bid one dollar or more.

I would ask TM if they are legally the auctioneer or who ,is once you have that answer come back here
    'Bother' said Pooh, as he chambered another round ... Wong Far King Way

From a sellers perspective, there can be other issues at play. I can think of a few reasons to pull an auction that has met reserve and bidding is active and once it happened to me. The description was found to have a mistake that could not be edited out. It was a minor mistake but one that could very well affect what people will bid for. Once reserve is met, you are unable to edit the description and the only recourse is to either pull and restart the auction with the error corrected / detailed so that buyers are fairly advised of condition, or add a comment and hope the winning buyer reads it or is understanding at the end if he did not.

Another potential reason is the item is no longer available. I had an incident where I was asked to list something and they would drop it off later. I did not list it until I had it in my possession as I want the description to be accurate, and when I opened the box to sell it, inside was a different rifle.

None of the reasons I can think of would fit with relisting the same auction again with the same details unless the price was incorrectly listed but again that should have been checked before it got to that stage. (reserve met) I did have an issue once where I had a $35 item listed and a $90 item. We decided the $35 itme should have been $30 and when I updated it BOTH auctions changed to $30 and the $90 one sold before I could fix it. I had trade me on about it but they were as helpful as two year old in a supermarket...

Trade me also requires a good reason to pull an auction and if it is not a valid reason they may charge commission on the sale even if it did not go through (Though I have not heard of this actually happening..)

I struck that with another seller some years ago
    reserve exceeded, seller refused to sell, I contacted trademe who told me even though I bid and supposedly won the aution the seller had no obligation to sell to me
    the seller had that rifle up twice more with no action taken by trademe
    Never bought another thing off Trade me again.
    Wirehunt and tetawa like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    I struck that with another seller some years ago
    reserve exceeded, seller refused to sell, I contacted trademe who told me even though I bid and supposedly won the aution the seller had no obligation to sell to me
    the seller had that rifle up twice more with no action taken by trademe
    Never bought another thing off Trade me again.
    If you go back to my prior post on this, you would have recourse against TM as auctioneer (if they are). That is the point, are TM the Auctioneer or are they just providing an electronic premises for private sales to take place in for which they charge a commission ??
    'Bother' said Pooh, as he chambered another round ... Wong Far King Way