Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Stockpile calculator.

Stockpile calculator.

Any body do this on a regular basis?I am having a robust discussion with someone (client)about volume of a pile coming off a conveyor.Stack is 18.2m long 8.2 wide and roughly 2.8m in height 300mm at the top width and conical ends.I have been using this(http://www.arthon.com/calculators/stockpile.shtml)in the past and in this case it is close given i know the machines output.What say you learned mathematical types?

Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    What's the purpose ?

As a suggestion, if your after actual, drone photometrics can get a good volume call now. But for such a small stockpile, might be not the right way. Survey GPS could be a go.

Or if it's just a calc, would be a easy volume calc.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Purpose is to be paid on volume produced.The calc from arthon i thought was close going on a known output from the machine if not a little light but client is a engineering type and adamant there is 80m3 less on his calcs so we are some ways apart.Slight undulating ground but nothing major.How accurate is the drone thing and cost

Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    If it's for contract pay/dispute, I'd go survey GPS for volume - if they are questioning 80 cubes variation. That way you also he a baseline ground level for future also. Then go drone. I think 100mm vertical accuracy is possible now, maybe less for small areas.
    As for cost, unsure, but pm me a email address and I'll pass it to a guy that knows.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

If its a contract dispute you're probably best to get a surveyor to do it (its not a big job) and then both parties can accept the figure and move on.

Is the 18.2m length between the toe of the conical ends or along the top? Is the 2.8m height vertical (and if so how accurate) or up the slope? If your client is interpreting those measurements differently it could easily make an 80m3 difference.
    Beaker likes this.

Gps, will only take like an hour (depending on how consistent the shape is) and you will no for sure

Also what material are we talking? Solid measure?

No more than 274m3 solid measure, that's conservative.

Product is fire wood and that is a figure I came to as well , client is saying 180.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    No more than 274m3 solid measure, that's conservative.
    The calculator above gives 265.647m3 so they are pretty close.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Depends where you are measuring your total length from as per Gravel Bens reply above as I have worked on the ends being additional to the 18.2m length.
    If it's the total length at the toe then you are buggered, it will be approx. 200m3 and there is your magical 80m3 gone puff and has disappeared.
    I deal with this stuff on a daily basis and have a few clowns that try it on, best thing to do is sit down with him and compare each others methods of calculating the stockpile.
    Let us know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    Depends where you are measuring your total length from as per Gravel Bens reply above as I have worked on the ends being additional to the 18.2m length.
    If it's the total length at the toe then you are buggered, it will be approx. 200m3 and there is your magical 80m3 gone puff and has disappeared.
    I deal with this stuff on a daily basis and have a few clowns that try it on, best thing to do is sit down with him and compare each others methods of calculating the stockpile.
    Let us know how you get on.
    So we can all agree the calculator i gave reference to if the measurement of length is taken from roughly triangle prism type shape with the formula working out the cone shape ends volume and not being subtracted from the final volume ?

Quote Originally Posted by Markgibsonr25 View Post
    So we can all agree the calculator i gave reference to if the measurement of length is taken from roughly triangle prism type shape with the formula working out the cone shape ends volume and not being subtracted from the final volume ?
    You should get the number I calculated with that calculator. W = (8.2 - 0.3) / 2 = 3.95. The length was taken from the top of the pile.
    Last edited by gadgetman; 29-09-2016 at 06:37 PM.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

If the length is at the base then you need to deduct 2 x w from the length in the calculator.

Whats a m3 of firewood worth down your way?? What are you trying to sell it for??