Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Study to Work

Study to Work

Hey all,

A few of you might remember me asking about career prospects in NZ a few months ago and I'm looking for a change of pace so I'm checking out options for the Study to Work Visa which gives you up to 12 months after graduation to find a job in your field within NZ. Obviously I don't want to go to art school and learn balloon tying but I'd like to hear about professions that you guys think would suite someone that enjoys the hunting and fishing lifestyle with good returns for those willing to give it their all.

Looking at colleges now... I don't think I have enough liver left for another undergrad degree

Also please enjoy this monkey.

Name:  1003248_10150296379879987_1448487884_n.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  86.5 KB
    Wildman likes this.

ebf
    pest control would get you out in the bush

agriculture, especially dairying would almost guarantee you good money and prospects, but you'll never have time to go bush
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

That monkey is scheming something! I bet he gets into mischeif not long after the pic was taken

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    pest control would get you out in the bush
    Dont need a degree to be a bush monkey and there are way to many people out there looking for this sort of work to bother.

Surveying? Something council related? Water quality testing? RMA stuff?

Lincoln Uni for Ag Sci, B.com Ag. Diploma ag. etc. Or Canterbury Uni, Forestry Science or Forestry Engineering.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Forestry Science or Forestry Engineering.
    +1 heaps of jobs. Heaps of access to be had for hunting forestry as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Dont need a degree to be a bush monkey and there are way to many people out there looking for this sort of work to bother.

Surveying? Something council related? Water quality testing? RMA stuff?
    Those are some good suggestions and I'm currently working for local government unit that deals with the Canadian version of resource management so being able to find a certification that would allow me to do the field work for consents would be right up my alley... I'll look into that a little further.

As for pest control, I've heard it a hard industry to break into unless you're content trapping mice in suburbia ha ha.

Dairying was an industry I've looked into and I enjoyed working for a finishing operation in Aussie so maybe I'll give it another look. I understand they're quite different but I'm keen on the basics; hard work, working outdoors and seeing the return on your efforts.
    Last edited by JayColli; 15-07-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Lincoln Uni for Ag Sci, B.com Ag. Diploma ag. etc. Or Canterbury Uni, Forestry Science or Forestry Engineering.
    I'm interested in Agriculture and Forestry but I'm not sure how I'd manage to generate the $40k+ needed to do it but UC does have a Canadian loan programme so it may be worth looking into. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    That monkey is scheming something! I bet he gets into mischeif not long after the pic was taken
    You should have seen what he did to that poor Aussie tourist only moments afterwards...
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JayColli View Post
    Those are some good suggestions and I'm currently working for local government unit that deals with the Canadian version of resource management so being able to find a certification that would allow me to do the field work for consents would be right up my alley... I'll look into that a little further.

As for pest control, I've heard it a hard industry to break into unless you're content trapping mice in suburbia ha ha.

Dairying was an industry I've looked into and I enjoyed working for a finishing operation in Aussie so maybe I'll give it another look. Seems like the dairy industry has seduced NZ immigration because paid internship programs for foreigners looking to break into the industry already exist:

NZDC - Welcome
    Pretty much the opposite of your link
    Environment Southland - Home

@Wildman hahaha you're right! I'll add your link to my job cruising bookmarks list. Thanks!

As for that link, looked into it a bit more and it seems you need 2 years of experience to qualify so I'm out...

Quote Originally Posted by JayColli View Post
    @Wildman hahaha you're right! I'll add your link to my job cruising bookmarks list. Thanks!

As for that link, looked into it a bit more and it seems you need 2 years of experience to qualify so I'm out...
    Don't necessarily let that put you off applying or investing an interest in the position. At least contact them if you are genuinely interested.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Don't necessarily let that put you off applying or investing an interest in the position. At least contact them if you are genuinely interested.
    Yep and they pay fairly well for that sort of work. A shit ton of hunting down south too... Not sure if internationals get the "no fees" thing but SiT could be worth a look: Southern Institute of Technology, New Zealand

These guys are the Canterbury equivalent...
    Environment Canterbury Homepage

@JoshC Certainly did, just in case eh?
    @Wildman Thanks for the links. I'm checking out their programmes now.

After a bit more digging I found a program at Aoraki Polytechnic that is considered to be equivalent to two years of experience in the industry, for NZDC's purposes anyways. Reasonably priced at $8800 NZD and is listed as a skill in high demand. Looking like a good option for July 2015 if I can get a taste of what the industry is like here in Canada before jumping in with both feet.