Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Stupid Media

R93

Stupid Media

Seen an article about a practice grenade being found near Linton.
    Bomb squad is being called in for a prac grenade FFS.

Tax payers money being wasted over something that has no more grunt than an old, Big Red firecracker.

Media reports that the fella that found it said it can still spread shrapnel for 5m.
    All of a sudden he is a closet explosives expert.
    It a prac grenade ya spanker. Would hardly scare a highly strung cat, on meth.

Our mainstream media is really no better than the trashiest of the British Tabloids imo.
    It is just really friggen sad how misinformed they are and yet they get to serve it all up to an even more gullible population.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 01-10-2017 at 03:25 AM.
    Brian, Feral, chainsaw and 3 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I thought with a title you were being nice. Apparently it is restrained. The media are not stupid. That is giving them far too much credit. Actively deceitful would be much closer to the mark.

And a practice grenade can hurt you much further than 5 metres. (In the same way being hit with a rock can hurt- it all depends on how hard it is thrown AT you and where it hits you....)

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Actively deceitful would be much closer to the mark.
    They are the gate-keepers to the disinformation/propaganda machine.
    EeeBees, Ryan, Steve123 and 1 others like this.

If I stuck the hole in the bottom and held it to my ear, pulled the pin it would definitely give me a headache otherwise swung from a piece of para-chord?

They are definitely the gate-keepers to the disinformation/propaganda machine and deceitful but in this case I think R93 has it right STUPID.
    EeeBees likes this.

problem is there are many sheep out there that believe if it is written in the paper it must be true .reporters are there to only report truth and fact without bias right.
    EeeBees likes this.

What is with hating the media? It has to be sensational news or no one would bother with it. There is no point in letting the truth get in the way of a good story, that won't get punters viewing the click bait which sells advertising.
    stingray, Nibblet and timattalon like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    What is with hating the media? It has to be sensational news or no one would bother with it. There is no point in letting the truth get in the way of a good story, that won't get punters viewing the click bait which sells advertising.
    Click bait is exactly the reason for all of it. All about that greed and money grabbing. Hence half the articles about celebs etc that shouldn't be "news" worthy being at the front/ top cos people still going to click and read them.

At least the SUN doesn't pretend to be something it's not
    chainsaw likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    My how times have changed with regards to explosives. When I was in college cadets we used to get thunder flashes to play with FFS.

As said, it just sensationalism. If it ain't got any hype it wont get read and the journo involved has to be credited with capturing the feature or he's a useless POS.

yes but when you read the article it said the army personnel said it was a live grenade.what training do they receive nowadays.every basic recruit knows that they are a practise grenade lethal in weight only or when dropping in front of your nco when not supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    yes but when you read the article it said the army personnel said it was a live grenade.what training do they receive nowadays.every basic recruit knows that they are a practise grenade lethal in weight only or when dropping in front of your nco when not supposed to.
    Practice grenades are painted blue with a hole in the bottom?

Name:  Reservehigh20048611453.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  20.3 KB

exactly how could any army personnel confuse a practise grenade with a live one?
    outlander likes this.

maybe they said it was a 'live practice grenade' and the media edited the 'practice' out.
    if so that makes em qualify for a free train ride.
    Use enough gun

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    exactly how could any army personnel confuse a practise grenade with a live one?
    Pouges. Non combatant types. But they should have at least thrown a few prac grenades on their basic.

And everything munitions wise that will hurt you is normally green with yellow print on it. Everything considered prac is blue.
    So yeah, I don't know myself unless it was described wrong.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

what we where told doing basic was they are painted blue, A so they are recognised as a practise round and B so they can be easily located after being thrown.i for one put more effort into throwing the green ones rather than the blue ones also was a lot more careful with the green ones for some reason.
    EeeBees and WallyR like this.