Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: Subsonic Audi and it's pedestrian owner Tipple

40 years ago I got pinged doing 105 mph down Wainoni Road (30mph limit) on my bike, inadvertently I was racing against a muffty cop who hadn't put his lights on, the fucker had radioed ahead and a heap of them were waiting for me at the Bower Bridge on New Brighton Road.

I was up before the beak, lost my license for 9 months and fined about $200, back in those days my take home pay as an apprentice was about $40 a week. So nowadays if someone was fined a months wages she'd be big bucks.
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    40 years ago I got pinged doing 105 mph down Wainoni Road (30mph limit) on my bike, inadvertently I was racing against a muffty cop who hadn't put his lights on, the fucker had radioed ahead and a heap of them were waiting for me at the Bower Bridge on New Brighton Road.

I was up before the beak, lost my license for 9 months and fined about $200, back in those days my take home pay as an apprentice was about $40 a week. So nowadays if someone was fined a months wages she'd be big bucks.
    given the state of the roads in the east of chch post quake you would be lucky to get to 30mph. never mind the ccc have plenty of money for rusty sculptures in a river

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Have to agree with you about training being needed, the panic-brake-crash is a very common thing. I don't think it helps that overly simplistic road safety campaigns are constantly telling people that the only thing they need to do to be safe is slow down, there is basically nothing about observation, anticipation, smooth control inputs etc.

I've taught quite a few people how to control cars on gravel - some because they wanted to slide around, some because they wanted to avoid sliding around. Either way they have to understand the same things and experience how it feels enough to avoid panicking. Often they have to unlearn a few wrong things before the penny drops and they realise why they had that crash a few years earlier...
    I find I tend to drive thru situations and remain calm, I got my licence in 11,11,63 holy shit! Went to a course on the runway at Tokoroa many years ago, just when ABS was becoming the norm, always remember the instructor telling us when we were in trouble not to focus on any thing, like a lamp post, on coming car etc, because if you do that's what you will hit, I now shut my eyes tight so this can't happen! Has worked fine so far
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    Yet another kiwi driver who thinks they're Gods gift to driving, especially when they're trying to race on public roads, not a race course.

If he thinks he's that good, get a drivers ticket and race against other skilled drivers.

Tipple is very very lucky his car wasn't seized.

Attachment 58661
    On the bus again ,I just cant wait to get on the bus again. cheer up Dave imagine what youll save on petrol!!

what happened to instant 28 day licence suspension for 50 ks over the limit??????
    40 years ago I got pinged doing 105 mph down Wainoni Road (30mph limit) on my bike,
    same here but warspite ave in porirua id got my braces caught on the door handles of a evening post van.
    kept goin from 70 to 105 every time the elastic stretched and unstretched
    got worse cos the bloody driver kept speeding up he was getting crap from his off sider about getting overtaken every 10 seconds or so by a bloody cyclist.
    veitnamcam, Pointer and Maca49 like this.

28 day suspension of licence if caught by an officer travelling at 40+ km/h over the posted limit.

What are the fines for speeding? | New Zealand Police

Since moving here I have learn,t to drive slooooower, mind you with the state of drivers in north land you have to, rumour has it that my car recorded a average speed of 96kph going to the sika show, but I believe computers lie.

Stuck in second gear? @Taff
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I see good 4x4 drivers almost every weekend, usually standing on the bank watching their trucks which are stuck in the Appleby River!!!
    Place is becoming littered with wrecks. 2 within an hour on one day in the same place
    I wonder how many are "daddys cars"
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I find I tend to drive thru situations and remain calm, I got my licence in 11,11,63 holy shit! Went to a course on the runway at Tokoroa many years ago, just when ABS was becoming the norm, always remember the instructor telling us when we were in trouble not to focus on any thing, like a lamp post, on coming car etc, because if you do that's what you will hit, I now shut my eyes tight so this can't happen! Has worked fine so far
    Look where you want to go and if everything goes to plan you will make it.

One of the best things I did was a defensive driving course through the Fire Service in the form of a 4 day ERD (Emergency Response Driver) course
    I thought we were going to learn how to control a fire truck in a slide. Wrong. It was how not to get in a skid in the first place.

I would like to see anyone doing 180-200kph stop in half the distance they can see when an oncoming car crosses the line coming out of a bend ahead

As for Tipple, give him the conviction he deserves and revoke his FAL and crush the Audi

Sako I think it's about having a contingency plan in your head! Told my son when he was young, never have a head on, the paddock or the bank is always a better option. Screaming down the Taupo Western access about 5 in the morning, me asleep him driving and we are in the rough, car coming round a corner on the wrong side of the road! I woke up and ask what the shit was happening, he was using his contingency plan, said you don't know how lucky you are not to be in that paddock! He was listening and is a great driver today,
    I don't think Speed is a problem, in the 80s I drove an inferior car to todays and Cruzed at 160k/h. 70k a year wearing out cars!
    Trouble in NZ today is lack of skills, like everything in life we are losing skills, we are becoming a race of modicoddled, useless bastards!
    7mmsaum, veitnamcam, Tommy and 2 others like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Look where you want to go and if everything goes to plan you will make it.

One of the best things I did was a defensive driving course through the Fire Service in the form of a 4 day ERD (Emergency Response Driver) course
    I thought we were going to learn how to control a fire truck in a slide. Wrong. It was how not to get in a skid in the first place.

I would like to see anyone doing 180-200kph stop in half the distance they can see when an oncoming car crosses the line coming out of a bend ahead

As for Tipple, give him the conviction he deserves and revoke his FAL and crush the Audi
    I presume FAL is Firearms Licence.
    Why would you suggest revoking a firearms licence for a driving offence?
    Presume you would be happy loosing your FAL for a speeding infringement.
    zimmer and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Well for one does he fit the "fit and proper" person category, given his below average history as a law abiding citizen and his behavior when pulled up on his law breaking?

Does he even have a firearms license? I read/heard somewhere that he doesn't.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Everyone has a personal threshold as to which laws they are willing to break, from downloading a pirated movie, to speeding, to peddling meth, to murder.

I guess it depends on what your (or, more importantly, the Judge's) opinion on what behaviours preclude someone from being a 'fit and proper person'.

Doing 61 in a 50 area can propably be put down to carelessness or inattention, but 170 in a 100 zone doesn't just happen because you weren't paying attention and your speed crept up. It takes a conscious decision to disregard the law.

Perhaps someone who chooses to disregard one law is willing to disregard other laws? Where do you draw the line regarding 'fit and proper'?
    on2it likes this.

Yes and isn't it good to thumb your nose at the law! Kin oath!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough