Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Sunshine Coast - Tips and stuff to see

Sunshine Coast - Tips and stuff to see

Hey all

So we have booked a 10 day holiday on the Sunshine Coast in November, looking forward to a bit of proper heat and getting some pool and beach time in!

I have done a bit of research of what to do around the area but wondering if anyone has a bit more local knowledge as I have no interest in cities, towns, art museums, statues, monuments and all of the usual touristy crap that the internet recommends.

Keen to get out into the bush/outback, some of the national parks, maybe do a bit of fishing.

I will however have the wife and a 4 and 2 year old in tow.

So what recommendations do you have?

Cheers!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Probably not the beach then

Australia zoo I can not resist it. Steve Irwin you rocked !
    mikee and Gibo like this.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Australia zoo I can not resist it. Steve Irwin you rocked !
    Check! Yeah, got that one haha.

Thinking more stuff that wouldn't be on the tourist websites?
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    Probably not the beach then

Gold fossicking etc in gympie? I think they have touristy places you can hire gold pans and go play around with the crocs

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    Gold fossicking etc in gympie? I think they have touristy places you can hire gold pans and go play around with the crocs
    Ok, will have a look, not sure how long the Rugrats will keep it up, but will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Ok, will have a look, not sure how long the Rugrats will keep it up, but will be interesting.
    You'll be right mate, no crocs that far south .
    You're lucky because sunny coast is away from all that statue, museum sort of scene. You'll be limited how far bush you go with the young ones as November will be getting up there in temperature.
    Drive up to Hervey Bay and catch the barge to Fraser Island, good fishing etc just be wary of the dingos.
    Plenty of deer and pigs around but again you're limited with the fam and that time of year will be night hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spudattack likes this.

Put aside a day to do the run up to Fraser Island. A lot of driving but worthwhile. Surfing lessons for family at main beach if staying in Noosa area? Walking and swimming in Noosa national park. Chill out and suck down some coldies with the missus at the local surf club then sneak her home..... to easy to fill 10 days. Reef charter boats out of Noosa and Mooloolaba.

Spudattack likes this.

GWH
    We were up there in May. I have a good hunting mate who has moved back over there to live and based on the Sunny coast (he's an Aussie).

He took us (wife and I and our 6 and 3 year olds) slightly north in his fourby, and took the vehicle across the Noosa river on a Barge and drove a wee way up the beach. Nice spot and a good experience on the barge and all. It seemed to be a popular spot for people heading up fishing/camping etc from their 4WD's. You can go miles up the beach past where we went.

Name:  20170527_140333.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  481.0 KB
    Name:  20170527_142412.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  182.2 KB
    Name:  20170527_121510.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  231.1 KB

I can find out the details of the spot if you like.

There was certainly some very nice 'attractions' at Australia zoo too

Name:  20170528_095335.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  297.3 KB

Also, for a fun day (or half) with the kids, there is the Bli Bli Baramundi fishing park. The time of year you are going the fish should be feeding quite actively and reasonably easy to catch compared to winter when we were there, they weren't very active. Saw plenty feeding very selectively, but with two rods in the water for 3 hours, we only landed the one, catch and release, but lots of fun all the same for young and old.

Name:  20170608_130813.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  366.1 KB

The snakes give me the shits, i wouldnt be keen on venturing too far in the NP's over there. Also water is a major problem i believe when tramping thru the NP's. You are somewhat limited by want you can carry.

Aussie is great for a holiday and change of scenery but i have no interest in living there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    stingray likes this.

Where about you staying. I spent the first 23 years if my life on the Sunshine coast its the best!..
    Noosa is the pick of the Sunshine coast. The Noosa national park walks and beach trips can be rolled into one. Noosa heads surf club on sunset is a great place to sink a cold one.. If you can get up into the everglades and do some kyacking it would be worth while its a bidden gem. Eumundi markets are good. Wife loves em.. Sunday pig on the spit at the appolonian hotel Boreen Point.. U have to go to Australia zoo obviously... Sea life (sorta seaworldish without rides) in Mooloolaba for the kids.. A day up in the hinterland is a must... Montville and mapleton.. Venture further to Maleny and go to Mary Carncross park... Wonder views to the glass house mountains and a lovely walking track too. Fishing charters out of Noosa or Mooloolaba... Fraser and double island both cool places but need four wheel drive and can be costly and time consuming if your doing the 4wd bus trip..
    Whale watching out ta Hervey bay if that's your jam. Pro as not great with little ones

Skip the outback for another time when u can really go outback!!

I think your time best spent will be at the beach soaking up the sun, building sand castles and body boarding with the kids..

If you're a foodie let me know as I know the good places to eat up the north end of the coast..

Relax and enjoy..

I love going back to holiday there as a tourist. 😁

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
    GWH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagzy View Post
    You'll be right mate, no crocs that far south .
    You're lucky because sunny coast is away from all that statue, museum sort of scene. You'll be limited how far bush you go with the young ones as November will be getting up there in temperature.
    Drive up to Hervey Bay and catch the barge to Fraser Island, good fishing etc just be wary of the dingos.
    Plenty of deer and pigs around but again you're limited with the fam and that time of year will be night hunting

Cheers, keen to get to Fraser, just worries about the time it will take, especially with a 2 year old!
    Will probably be fairly limited hunting wise with the family to consider, would like to check out what the go is though for a future trip without the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Put aside a day to do the run up to Fraser Island. A lot of driving but worthwhile. Surfing lessons for family at main beach if staying in Noosa area? Walking and swimming in Noosa national park. Chill out and suck down some coldies with the missus at the local surf club then sneak her home..... to easy to fill 10 days. Reef charter boats out of Noosa and Mooloolaba.

Cheers mate, those sound good, will put on the list!

As I say, keen to do Fraser, will see how we go!

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    We were up there in May. I have a good hunting mate who has moved back over there to live and based on the Sunny coast (he's an Aussie).

He took us (wife and I and our 6 and 3 year olds) slightly north in his fourby, and took the vehicle across the Noosa river on a Barge and drove a wee way up the beach. Nice spot and a good experience on the barge and all. It seemed to be a popular spot for people heading up fishing/camping etc from their 4WD's. You can go miles up the beach past where we went.

Attachment 72414
    Attachment 72415
    Attachment 72416

I can find out the details of the spot if you like.

There was certainly some very nice 'attractions' at Australia zoo too

Attachment 72417

Also, for a fun day (or half) with the kids, there is the Bli Bli Baramundi fishing park. The time of year you are going the fish should be feeding quite actively and reasonably easy to catch compared to winter when we were there, they weren't very active. Saw plenty feeding very selectively, but with two rods in the water for 3 hours, we only landed the one, catch and release, but lots of fun all the same for young and old.

Attachment 72418

The snakes give me the shits, i wouldnt be keen on venturing too far in the NP's over there. Also water is a major problem i believe when tramping thru the NP's. You are somewhat limited by want you can carry.

Aussie is great for a holiday and change of scenery but i have no interest in living there.
    That looks cool, do you need a serious 4x4 or will the outlander we are renting do?
    Is that where the coloured sands are?

Keen to catch a Barra, will definitely do that!

Cheers mate!

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post
    Where about you staying. I spent the first 23 years if my life on the Sunshine coast its the best!..
    Noosa is the pick of the Sunshine coast. The Noosa national park walks and beach trips can be rolled into one. Noosa heads surf club on sunset is a great place to sink a cold one.. If you can get up into the everglades and do some kyacking it would be worth while its a bidden gem. Eumundi markets are good. Wife loves em.. Sunday pig on the spit at the appolonian hotel Boreen Point.. U have to go to Australia zoo obviously... Sea life (sorta seaworldish without rides) in Mooloolaba for the kids.. A day up in the hinterland is a must... Montville and mapleton.. Venture further to Maleny and go to Mary Carncross park... Wonder views to the glass house mountains and a lovely walking track too. Fishing charters out of Noosa or Mooloolaba... Fraser and double island both cool places but need four wheel drive and can be costly and time consuming if your doing the 4wd bus trip..
    Whale watching out ta Hervey bay if that's your jam. Pro as not great with little ones

Skip the outback for another time when u can really go outback!!

I think your time best spent will be at the beach soaking up the sun, building sand castles and body boarding with the kids..

If you're a foodie let me know as I know the good places to eat up the north end of the coast..

Relax and enjoy..

I love going back to holiday there as a tourist.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
    We staying at Alexandra beach for 10 nights, so definitely going to do the beach and chill thing but I need to get out and do stuff!

Thanks for this, great to have local knowledge!

Not really a foodie but like a good feed!

Not sure if will be able to get to a charter but is there decent shore fishing, like softbaiting in surf or rocks? Anywhere you would recommend?

Have noted all of that, will try get to most of it!

Thanks heaps!