Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Tag & test requirements for one-man business ?

ebf

Tag & test requirements for one-man business ?

Can anyone here pls point me at the specific law or regulation that defines the requirement for tag-and-test of electrical tools ?

The companies offering this service have widely varying recommendations, and are making more money the more you tag-and-test...

For a small, one-man property maintenance business (construction sector), I am trying to find out what the minimum legal requirements (if any) are.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

try your local council electrical inspector.i would be interested to see what they are too. seems a good money making scheme as they all need retested every 6 months.

In your situation I'd give a sparky beer. Anyone can do it so long as your deemed competent. We sent our truck driver on a course and bought a machine.If it was that difficult Jim and or Green Acres etc.wouldn't be selling franchises
    ebf likes this.

Do your own
    Beaker likes this.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Do your own
    lick pinky finger, insert in socket ? got that t-shirt mate
    Black rifles matter...

Get the qual and gear and do your own. Then you can also do your friends for beer

ebf
    the corporate clients i work for vary a lot - some of them go super-overboard and test every single kettle, toaster etc...

i've mostly converted to cordless to get around this...

things like RCDs are cheaper to just replace than having to get them tested.
    Black rifles matter...

Yep any competent person can do it, although they seem to be getting fewer and father between.

The whole system is a total joke as far as I am concerned. Its a scam to make money from nothing.
    We now only take battery powered tools as a heap of batteries to jobs as every company requires a different testing schedule and even though I can test and tag my own stuff I would rather actually be charging my time to an actual job
    gadgetman, JoshC, Beaker and 2 others like this.

first you need a PAT (portable appliance tester) it has to be rated to NZ standard, dont buy from overseas unless you are absolutely sure it will comply as electrical laws vary hugely. now unlike the old days of the "mega" where high voltage DC was placed down the line these units will not do that unless you allow that function. As with most things nowadays everything is electronically controlled so putting DC in instead of AC or 500V not 240V will kill the appliance.
    the best PAT unit apparently is the AVO brand.
    next issue is that every man and his monkey has jumped on the bandwagon to make a killing, hell they now have "jims test n tag"
    also remember the old boys club love to change regs so your PAT tester might be ok now but will it be in a years time and they aint cheap

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    first you need a PAT (portable appliance tester) it has to be rated to NZ standard, dont buy from overseas unless you are absolutely sure it will comply as electrical laws vary hugely. now unlike the old days of the "mega" where high voltage DC was placed down the line these units will not do that unless you allow that function. As with most things nowadays everything is electronically controlled so putting DC in instead of AC or 500V not 240V will kill the appliance.
    the best PAT unit apparently is the AVO brand.
    next issue is that every man and his monkey has jumped on the bandwagon to make a killing, hell they now have "jims test n tag"
    also remember the old boys club love to change regs so your PAT tester might be ok now but will it be in a years time and they aint cheap
    You don't actually need a PAT
    Beaker and Steve123 like this.

yeh but it makes him roll over to get his belly rubbed.
    mikee, Maca49 and Moa Hunter like this.

ebf
    @mikee what testing is required for batteries ?

i guess the wall charger has to go thru "normal" electrical tool test (3 months for construction sector) ?
    Black rifles matter...

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    You don't actually need a PAT
    some companies will not let you tag without one, usually the same ones that dont allow ladders on build sites etc . unfortunately the list of companies like that are growing thru all this h&s bullshit
    mikee and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    @mikee what testing is required for batteries ?

i guess the wall charger has to go thru "normal" electrical tool test (3 months for construction sector) ?
    Only if you want to take the charger "on-site" we have bucket loads of batteries to avoid this so never take the charger onsite at all

Buy a PAT, they start from approx. $1k up to $2.5k - seller will likely train you in the use of it, I think the give you some sort of Rego number, buy the coloured stickers from JA Russell, each colour does a block of 3 months and Bob's your uncle.
    Steve123 likes this.