Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Taking a gun into australia

Taking a gun into australia

My mate has invited me over for a blast in new south wales and i have some free flights to use up so why not, what i want to know can you take your own rifle in aus like you can bring one here or is it impossible/not worth the effort. Ive had a quick look around but havent been able to find much info online. have emailed the NSW police but no reply back. Do any of you blokes have a clue?

Cheers for any info.
    Rule 4 : Gat dat fool

I have gone into nsw about 6 times with firearms. Mine was for competitions. You need a written reason to take a gun over and going over for a blast wont be accepted. You also need the appropriate permits and they take anywhere up to 2 months to process. Personally I would say not worth the hassle for a hunting trip if youre mate has a rifle you can use. Also costs 75aud for permits
    R93 likes this.

Yea fuck that ill just borrow one of his, thanks man.

You need a written reason to take a gun over and going over for a blast wont be accepted. He shoots on a farm that has a massive pig problem and asked if i wanted to come on a cull. You would have to be plain retarded to submit wanting to go for a blast as a written reason

??? I realise that... if you want to jump through the hoops, go for it

You don't understand Australia Haggie, the thing to know is that it is NOT NZ. you cant "just get a gun license" in Aus. You need what is called a genuine reason, if you dont have one too bad. We (meaning our govt) dont care for hunters and guns and common sense and reason doesnt work. Coming back into aus from last years tahr hunt my brother got hammered with questions because when they counted the ammo coming back from NZ it was one piece of brass short from going out! ''I lost it once I ejected the case in the alps" almost didnt swing it.

Thinking of takign my bow this trip, hopefully a bit easier!

Mate you need a written reason to take a shit over here and its only getting worse,
    Not worth the bull shit trying to get a fire arm in or out of Oz from my experience,
    Its not till you come back to NZ that you realise how lucky we are re fire arm regs,

Cheers
    Mick

I feel like I'm looked at and treated like a criminal in australian airports and treated like a human being in NZ when carrying weapons

Yip prettt much summed it up bh, its a lot of bull shit but needs to be done or they will hold your guns and you wont get them. I have had mates go over for comps and have guns rejected at border because documentation isnt correct, results in a very expensive pointless trip

You're bow will be straight on the plane, no documentation needed, unless its a traditional wooden bow (which it isnt)

Years ago that is what it was like taking money out of this country for a holiday. You have to fill in forms up to your ears, once approved you had to go to the Post Office where you were treated as leper to get travelers checks. The amount of money you were allowed was incredibly low too. Coming back in with any goods you were treated about the same.

The idea was to stop money going out to keep the value of our dollar falling through the floor. In the end it was eventually dropped and our dollar floated; and what happened? It showed the world we were ready to stand up to it and innovate so they all clambered for our dollar and the price shot up. A fitter/turner I was working with (Tasmanian) was about to sell a very expensive painting and was wondering which country to invest the money, I hoped he took my advice.

The same would happen with firearms, as we all know. The more people are familiar with them the less of a danger they are. When there were just a few cars people were terrified of them, nowadays they are common and part of every day life.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

last trip customs held my guns for 3 months in Aus once I got back in because of one mistake on the paperwork. that was an utter fuck up!

My old man lives in Australia and his wife's dad (Queenslander) is in his 80's now and used to shoot at club level, was a champion shot etc. He says the law changes post -96 are "a crying shame and killed off what was traditionally a sport that Australians were particularly good at".
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

A fucking joke is a less eloquent way of putting it!

What I wouldnt give for an AR or a handgun

I took two rifles with me to the NT last August, going again this August but only taking one this time.
    Heaps of paperwork and you'll need an International Visitors Permit (Firearms) but only good for Safari hunting or competition shooting.
    Once we got there no one gave a f**k or battered an eyelid when checking thru airports and lugging around a couple of gun cases.
    But as above if you are going to a friends farm borrow his gear, not worth the knob ache.

1. Visitors permit
    2. NZ import permit - NZ Police because you will be bringing back to NZ
    3. Aust customs paperwork - lots of it
    4. Notify airlines a couple of months before hand
    5. A few rules on how to pack your gear, ammo, hardcase etc
    6. Then you give up as it's all to bloody hard

Shit where I go she suits taking my AR10, they have bloody dumb laws over there.