Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By 308
  • 2 Post By ebf
  • 5 Post By 300CALMAN
  • 1 Post By gimp
  • 5 Post By 300CALMAN
  • 1 Post By GMH72

Thread: Tararua hut

Tararua hut

Fuck's this about ?
    Club considers closing historic Tararua hut after vandals tramp in to trash it | Stuff.co.nz

It's a real pity stupid isn't always fatal.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

TJM
    You just have to remember there are plenty off fuckwits in N.z and unfortunately quite a few hunters qualify for this award.
    Its a bit of an indictment of kiwis unfortunately, vandalise cars, petty theft etc etc. When i was living in Au you could leave a nice car on the side of the rd and think nothing of it, here some idiot who thinks hes better than he is coins it. A real pity in my opinion

Fukn disgusting
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

That's about a 4-hour walk in with a pack - I'll keep an eye on it next time I go past

I don't stay in huts but I reckon it's always a good idea to record intentions of trip and dates in the logbook if dropping by

I don't understand these eedjits
    stingray likes this.

ebf
    Cone is quite a bit more of a walk than some of the other trashed "road-end" huts down this way.

Dobson shelter is long gone. Smith Creek is bare walls and a roof. Renata and Waiotauru suffer from being to easy to get to with vehicles

Field hut is about the only easily accessible hut that seems to be in semi decent condition. Most of the fucktards stay way coz it involves a bit of a climb.

It is just dumb, someone's life might depend of these huts or shelters if rivers are in flood or the weather turns to custard...
    EeeBees and JRW87 like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

I was there a few weeks back, it's a real shame.

This is just like the scumbags that stole that guys gear and took a shit in his billy. What a bunch of fucking arseholes.

Just be thankful there are less of these type of fucktards in NZ than else where in the world.

Aly
    Sadly the type of people who do these things to huts don't leave intentions with people (like DOC) and don't leave info in the hut book (if they haven't already trashed it too, or thrown it in the fire).

Feel mighty sorry for the club. I'd be on a rampage if anyone had done that to either the lodge at Temple Basin or the Avoca Hut that I've helped to clean, maintain and rebuild parts of. People spend so much time and effort keeping those huts either up to date, clean, safe and for some huts people put in huge efforts to keep them used and looked after so that DOC won't pull them out!! Then of course the people who do dedicate their time maintaining the huts don't get paid for it either. They do it because it means something to them. Whether it's part of their clubs history or because it's a fantastic location of great memories, or they are simply giving back.

Then people take that all for granted, or say they don't need to pay because "DOC" already gets taxes from them etc - or expect "DOC" to clean up after them. I don't think people realise how many huts out there are actually co-owned by DOC and Clubs but the responsibility for maintenance fulls of the club's volunteers. That's with the privately owned ones aside of course.... or completely owned by a club then open to the public.

Seriously though??? I can understand sloppy people who make a mess and might leave trash behind because they just don't have the mind to clean up after themselves..... but vandalise??? What the heck!

Sorry but yes we too have social retards with no respect. I used to think huts were a sacred place, bit like memorials or churches or the like which you left as you found under pain of social flogging... Well at least that's what i was taught.

Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    Then people take that all for granted, or say they don't need to pay because "DOC" already gets taxes from them etc - or expect "DOC" to clean up after them. I don't think people realise how many huts out there are actually co-owned by DOC and Clubs but the responsibility for maintenance fulls of the club's volunteers. That's with the privately owned ones aside of course.... or completely owned by a club then open to the public.
    Yeah DoC administers somewhere between 30-40 percent of the land area of New Zealand and gets .5% of the budget

Dad was a Government deer culler back in the 50s. He told me that the huts were often their life line, if you were clod/wet/hungry/sick etc you found the nearest hut. There was always firewood and the last guys left over food. People who left a hut without the necessities and in a bad state were not popular. No PLBs in those days, a hut could (and still can) save your life.

Found hanging upside down at the track entrance sounds like a good deterrent...
    Dundee, EeeBees, Danny and 2 others like this.

A real shame it was vandalised, but great to see people have given their time to get fixed up, and improved in the process. Vandalised Tararua tramping hut bounces back better than ever | Stuff.co.nz
    EeeBees likes this.