Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Teenager's muddy cover-up fails as farmer catches him in midnight raid

Banned

Teenager's muddy cover-up fails as farmer catches him in midnight raid

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...-midnight-raid

JENNIFER EDER

A teenager who went poaching in Marlborough's high country had the truck's number plates carefully covered in mud, hoping the midnight hunt would not be traced back to him.

Reid Kevin Heyward, 19, was looking for deer or pigs to shoot in the Awatere Valley, southwest of Seddon, about 12.30am on September 2.

He had two rifles, hunting knives, ammunition and a spotlight in his Hilux truck, a police summary said.

The number plates of the truck were carefully covered with mud to make sure no-one could identify the truck.

Heyward saw a deer near the road, took a rifle from the truck and shot it.

The farmer turned up before he could retrieve the deer from the paddock, and told Heyward to leave, not realising he had already killed one of his deer.

When he found the deer moments later, he called police.

Police caught up with Heyward as he was heading back towards Blenheim, and searched the truck.

They confiscated the rifles and hunting equipment.

Heywood admitted a charge of unlawful hunting at the Blenheim District Court on Monday.

His lawyer Kent Arnott said the case was not suitable for restorative justice and he could be sentenced immediately.

Heywood had no previous convictions for poaching, and worked six days a week so would prefer a fine to community work, Arnott said.

Judge Richard Russell said it would need to be a significant fine because the charge was very serious.

The maximum penalty for illegal hunting was two years' imprisonment or a $100,000 fine.

Judge Russell said vehicles used in crime could be seized.

Arnott said the Hilux did not actually belong to Heywood.

After credit for a guilty plea, Judge Russell convicted and fined Heywood $5000.

His hunting gear was to be forfeited to the Crown.

A 22-year-old Blenheim man charged in relation to Heywood's offending also appeared in court on Monday.

He faced a joint charge of poaching and a charge of unlawfully possessing a Tikka T3 .300 rifle and a Savage HMR .17 rifle.

The man did not enter a plea and was remanded on bail to October 16.

- The Marlborough Express

The sentence was a good start. Hopefully they cancelled his FAL as well.
    Munsey, Gibo, Steve123 and 2 others like this.

I'd be curious to know how many people on this forum, who have done a "reasonable" amount of hunting, wouldn't be eligible for a fine or such, if everyone was honest about their en-devours while hunting (ie never stepped over a boundary, never hunted without a permit, never shot an animal they weren't entitled to, etc).

Never never never, I know too many people who have been affected by these pricks in my view he got off bloody lucky

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I'd be curious to know how many people on this forum, who have done a "reasonable" amount of hunting, wouldn't be eligible for a fine or such, if everyone was honest about their en-devours while hunting (ie never stepped over a boundary, never hunted without a permit, never shot an animal they weren't entitled to, etc).
    I may have accidentally stepped over a boundary but never gone out and deliberately done anything similar to the above
    Feather or Shoot likes this.

Why did sound moderators get invented

Driving up a public road with the direct intent of shooting into private farmland - is outright Trespass/breach of law.

Hunting in "multi" ownership regenerated bush (ex private blocks once farmed-reverted un-fenced or any finite boundaries etc) as in my "friends" case a slightly different matter - in my view.
    These areas that get continually hunted by all in sundry anyway without direct permissions - and really no one is effected by such - is in my view "par for the course"
    But it is still poaching - so hence the moderator on the .223 and the shotgun not used often - not that I know exact weapons "my friend" is useing ??

I had a situation the other day - in near the same area that the teenager who was apprehended
    Wanted to trial Thermal - I wasn't a 100% on whether the hunt was going to be legit and cosh a - so was in no way going to risk having 10K worth of Thermal equipment confiscated, because if it was not a legit hunting zone - that would be a very possible outcome - not to mention name in local rag etc
    veitnamcam likes this.

R93
    I have hunted locally without a permit before you could get them online, heaps.
    Have been accused of poaching in a helicopter on private land when I had a high up worker from said private land shooting for me.
    I have spotlighted hundreds of deer on crown land back when I was selling them.

I'm a good boy now... Promise

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I have hunted locally without a permit before you could get them online, heaps.
    Have been accused of poaching in a helicopter on private land when I had a high up worker from said private land shooting for me.
    I have spotlighted hundreds of deer on crown land back when I was selling them.

I'm a good boy now... Promise

Thanks for the confession. That'll be fifteen Hail Mary's and twenty Our Fathers.
    WallyR and berg243 like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Thanks for the confession. That'll be fifteen Hail Mary's and twenty Our Fathers.
    Even tho RC I rather be lashed with some fluffy cats tails by a nude Nigella thanks.

Pretty sure I will learn my lesson

WallyR likes this.

Even tho RC I rather be lashed with some fluffy cats tails by a nude Nigella thanks.

Whoa yes.......I confess too........not sure what for but Nigella will get it out of me..........eventually.........
    R93, Munsey and Pengy like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River

He'll yes, I'd take that punishment from her any day.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I've been into the doc office and received one of there maps, then got out into the bush and had a cocky come tell me I was on his land. Didn't really know what to make of it because he pointed out his fenceline and I pointed out that the map showed his property on the other side of the river. Rivers don't just shift overnight... haha
    veitnamcam, Scouser and sometimes like this.

You'll learn, .... eventually?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    You'll learn, .... eventually?
    I am that ashamed of myself I promise not use the safe word unless really, really tired.... Could take months... Years or when I run out of money buying her coccaine

gadgetman likes this.

Mmmmm chocolate!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough