Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Harryg
  • 2 Post By Tahr

Thread: Tekapo/Twizel accommodation.

Tekapo/Twizel accommodation.

My wife and I are planning a trip a bit father south shortly but being the organised guy I am I hadn't looked into any accommodation in the area we were planning on heading. We will be tenting for the majority of the trip but if the weather turns to poo it would be good to have a solid roof over our heads. Any locals down that way recommend anywhere we could try for the odd night. I know things are busy this time of year so we may just have to take our chances.
    Any suggestions appreciated.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Campground on the shore of Lake tekapo that I have stayed in the past, few sheltered spots under trees or behind a bank.

P.s. Tekapo is teapot with auto correct!!

Not quite in the area but isn't there a certain forum member that has new digs in fairlie......??

You could try the High Country Lodge in Twizel
    Last time I stayed there I couldn't fault it. Used to be part of the ministry of works camp when they were building the dams
    Shearer and allister like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Campground on the shore of Lake tekapo that I have stayed in the past, few sheltered spots under trees or behind a bank.

P.s. Tekapo is teapot with auto correct!!

Not quite in the area but isn't there a certain forum member that has new digs in fairlie......??
    Thanks @223nut. Yeah, passing through Fairlie at some stage and hope to catch up with a certain forum member (might be the same one?). I want to get down to fish the canals and maybe look for a thar and wallaby. It won't be a serious hunting mission though. Just a look around.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Tekapo Cottages. Near the Church of the Good Shepherd in Tekapo. Owned by a keen hunter "Headcase" on the other forum. Top bloke. Not over priced or up market, but clean and comfortable.

Google "Tekapo Cottages".
    gadgetman and Pengy like this.

I stayed in the High country lodge in Twizel many times when I was rowing at Ruataniwha. It used to be called Basil Lodge back in the 90s! Long dormitory type rooms with communal showers and toilets in the middle of each dorm. Been probably 10 years since i stayed there so it may be different now. It would pay to book ahead to stay in Twizel because if there is a rowing regatta on that weekend accommodation will be snapped up.