Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tommy
  • 1 Post By SiB

Thread: is there a decent air mattress

is there a decent air mattress

it really pisses me off when your air matress fukn goes down is there actually a decent air matress out there for camping

As in a hiking mat or like for camping at a holiday park etc?

camping doesnt matter about weight we do doc campsights

I had one (ex has it now hahaha) that had a wee pump inside it. Sat about a foot high inflated, and you either plugged it into mains or 12v. Mains for use as a spare bed, and 12v for camping. Uses fuck all juice too, any old half buggered ns40 will do it from the scrap pile. It also vacuumed itself out for packing up time.

The motor was really really quiet and as you lost a teensy bit of air in the night it would inflate itself to taut awesomeness automatically - normally without waking me, or if it did it was quite a nice feeling being half asleep knowing your arse wasn't going to be touching the ground in an hours time like on a normal mattress. Usually 2-3 times per night max.

It had two layers of chamber, so had no tilt/slide, and was comfier than my own bed, nice felt layer on top. We used it heaps and only suffered one easy to find (bigger) leak when she got smashed and did something drastic on the way into the tent, which I fixed on the way in an hour later.

They were quite a bit more than the standard $10-20 standard mattress at like $40-50 from memory, but those useless pieces of shit don't even do one night properly, this did dozens over a couple of years. I'd love another, be sweet for the Toby shoot. Sadly I haven't seen one at the Warewhare for years. Probably make more by selling zillions of the shit ones.
    223nut likes this.

we just had one with a pump in it piece of shit didnt even last one night from brand new

I have always found that they are really cold to sleep on because there's no insulation

I hate air mattresses, gave up after every one I tried went flat during the night. I have come to the conclusion that there is no good air mattress.

Went to para rubber and bought a high density foam 100mm mattress, rolls up smallish, will never be as small as an air mattress but never goes flat.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    we just had one with a pump in it piece of shit didnt even last one night from brand new
    What gave up?

Don't know it just went down so took it back

6yrs on a thermarest pro lite. never had a problem
    But now upgraded to the Thermarest neoair for weight and pack saving.

SiB
    If you're not carrying and car-camping then the 'spongy-pud' 100mm foam topper pad with 20mm closed cell foam pad beneath is heavenly. Seriously. It really is comfy.

I own a double and single to use when camping from the truck. Roll em tight w a couple of luggage straps and you soon sort how to pack around them.

I also have one of those double thickness air beds. Bloody cold for the first couple of nights. Not as bulky but spongy-pud bed is the best!!
    Spudattack likes this.

I buy an airmatress from warehouse every two years. Perfect for sleeping in car, friends places and short walking distances in the bush. Adjust the air pressure to suit the morfology of my back. With my home bed, the two most comfortable places to sleep on to.

I just use an exped downmat 7 but would not really recommend it. Just put it on the floor with my sleeping bag on top. I find it more comfortable than my expensive bed at home and keep sleeping in.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Air mattress suck.Try the twin speedy and twin bomber from zempire.