Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Things that go bump in the night

Things that go bump in the night

3.45am Last Friday morning my little lady wakes me " someone's trying to break in " open my eyes to see torch light reflecting off the timber floors down the hall way into our bedroom. Light is flicking around the kitchen family room from the other end of the house.
    Then the door is being tried .... by this time I'm up thinking of the home invasion which occurred down our road 4 months ago where a home owner lost most of his teeth and one eye.... can't turn the light on shotgun is locked up in the loft as is ammo landline is down the other end of the house ... cell phone dial 111 by this time the torch is around the back of the house trying the garage door....com'on operator put me through thinking 20 minutes for the police to get here it was the longest 2 minutes of my life standing in the walkin wardrobe in my birthday suit .... finally connected talking to the police operator then my wife who was standing in the bathroom behind a curtain says it's XXXXXX my University student daughter home from the holidays a day early caught a ride with some mates and didn't think to flick the olds a text..... says the police operator to me when I said it's okay its my daughter is she intoxicated "No said I but I bet she wishes she was in a couple of minutes" grey hairs alround for her parents...

I've done that to my parents a few times for sure ha ha ha.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I thought the title was a question and was going to answer "uglies". Bonecrusher it seems to me you were a little under prepared and need to position a baseball bat somewhere handy. A couple of decades ago my missus woke me from a deep sleep and told me that there was someone outside trying to break in. Nek minute super protector Rushy man has leapt out of bed is out on the front lawn to sort shit out wearing the same uniform you had on in your wardrobe. Thank Christ the neighbours were all asleep.
    gadgetman likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I thought the title was a question and was going to answer "uglies". Bonecrusher it seems to me you were a little under prepared and need to position a baseball bat somewhere handy. A couple of decades ago my missus woke me from a deep sleep and told me that there was someone outside trying to break in. Nek minute super protector Rushy man has leapt out of bed is out on the front lawn to sort shit out wearing the same uniform you had on in your wardrobe. Thank Christ the neighbours were all asleep.
    Anyone outside or was ya mrs having a laugh?
    Toby likes this.

Rushys onto it. My old man has a steel bat under his bed

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Anyone outside or was ya mrs having a laugh?
    Nah there wasn't anyone there Gibo and I woke up pretty quickly as it was winter and big Al and the twins started to shrivel in the cold.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nah there wasn't anyone there Gibo and I woke up pretty quickly as it was winter and big Al and the twins started to shrivel in the cold.
    Wifey 1. Rushy 0.
    Maca49 likes this.

You may get in the shit for a bat under your bed. There are only two things baseball bats are used for, baseball and bashing pricks. The law will view it as pre meditated.
    Where as, a Silky saw is an everday tool (used for cutting notches in the head board, for what ever reason) and apparently would be very useful when engaged in serious discussion with an intruder.
    madjon_ and subs like this.

Resident Curmudgeon Kiwi Sapper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    You may get in the shit for a bat under your bed.....................
    Where as, a Silky saw is an everday tool............
    7mmwsm is onto it. The silky folds down nicely, takes up very little space, opens instantly and is quite terrifying when being wielded.

Finally, perfectly legal. Go get one but make sure it is a Silky......they are sooooooooooo damn sharp compared to others.
    It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    7mmwsm is onto it. The silky folds down nicely, takes up very little space, opens instantly and is quite terrifying when being wielded.

Finally, perfectly legal. Go get one but make sure it is a Silky......they are sooooooooooo damn sharp compared to others.
    Don't mess around with a folder. Get the Gomtaro 300mm. They come with a scabbard and take up no room in your pack. Can't remember how much they are, but once you use one you tend to forget about the money.

Many yrs ago did the same to my parents, got home late and no key, old casement window, wiggled my fingers under the sash and fired it straight up. The bashing of the steel weights coming down and sash going up. My mum sat upright in bed screaming and I think dad shat himself. I got an ear bashing as well!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Fulla
    I went through this not so long ago. nobody was in my house but my truck robbed.
    I asked the police lady some what ifs, as there are no police in my town after 2am, they are 20-30 mins away. (and robbers know this)
    so what if I let my dog out and he bites the robber.... well sir that could be seen as un-reasonable force, you could get it trouble. and you cant clobber him with a 4x2 either if he doesn't have a weapon of equal power.
    mmm, but can I defend my property?... yes, but you cant use un-reasonable force.
    so I really need to check what, or if he has a weapon then go back in the house to find something of equal power.
    ok police lady, if I chase him down running away with my shit shall I hold him until you get here so you can take over? well no sir you cant hold a person against there will.
    so just take my shit back and let him go? you will have to, you cant hold them. oh... I thought id just be helping.

don't forget you can use a firearm if you fear for yours or some ones life. but you have to prove it to be reasonable force as in be half dead and then still un-lock your gun then your ammo etc.
    and even then good luck with the courts you will still probably be worse off than the guy trying to kill you.

A torch is always just a torch, even if it holds 6 size D batteries. I carry 2 in the car, 1 on either side of the seats which can quickly be accessed for those darker moments.
    Maca49 likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

ok police lady, if I chase him down running away with my shit shall I hold him until you get here so you can take over? well no sir you cant hold a person against there will.
    35 Arrest of persons found committing certain crimes
    Every one is justified in arresting without warrantó
    (a) any person whom he or she finds committing any offence against this Act for which the maximum punishment is not less than 3 years' imprisonment:
    (b) any person whom he or she finds by night committing any offence against this Act

I could be wrong, but isn't arresting someone holding them against their will? Kinda retarded if all you can do is tell them they're under arrest then let them go.

mmm, but can I defend my property?... yes, but you cant use un-reasonable force.
    so I really need to check what, or if he has a weapon then go back in the house to find something of equal power.
    55 Defence of dwellinghouse
    Every one in peaceable possession of a dwellinghouse, and every one lawfully assisting him or her or acting by his or her authority, is justified in using such force as is necessary to prevent the forcible breaking and entering of the dwellinghouse by any person if he or she believes, on reasonable and probable grounds, that there is no lawful justification for the breaking and entering.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    A torch is always just a torch, even if it holds 6 size D batteries. I carry 2 in the car, 1 on either side of the seats which can quickly be accessed for those darker moments.
    +1 GA, thats what i have under our bed, 6 battery type about 12" long, hold it just behind the bulb casing resting on my shoulder for the big thump on the intruders head........
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!