Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree13823Likes

Thread: Things you really Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Cheers Cam

By the sounds of it my work is using the impact drivers wrong haha. We use them to tighten and loosen pretty much every fastener we use. But we are a manufacturer so there's always the lush for faster through fare and more production with less over time.

Certainly they can be used like that in a production capability if they are speced and regularly tested for output to tighten X fastener in Y application to Z torque....its how virtually all of our cars are made now.

So if I tightened a bolt just until it starts to get harder to turn it will be right and torqued up enough? I will try it tomorrow.

No...the point I was trying to make is when it STOPS getting harder to tighten you are at the max strength/tourqe for that fastener and it will be permanently deformed(not re usable)

From max effort to something fails on a short bolt may be only a quarter of a turn or up to a turn or two on a long bolt that has room to stretch.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Either way whack a stack of washers or next size up nuts between bolt head and nut to get some length and tighten till something fails paying particular attention to how it feels when it gets tight and ultimately fails.
    It might not be particularly relevant to your work but maybe in the future or if you like cars/bikes etc.
    mikee, 308 and Russian 22. like this.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

Chicken Intolerant.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Either way whack a stack of washers or next size up nuts between bolt head and nut to get some length and tighten till something fails paying particular attention to how it feels when it gets tight and ultimately fails.
    It might not be particularly relevant to your work but maybe in the future or if you like cars/bikes etc.
    Will do.

I do air conditioning but we still manage to strip a couple of fasteners occasionally.

On that side note. I like cars and bikes. But being a young man surprisingly bike insurance is 5 times cheaper than a slow car.

Trying to be funny and ripping a real good fart in the "Dutch oven" but following through.
    JoshC, Blisters and FatLabrador like this.

I have never seen or heard of our work impact drivers or anything like that being tested for torque settings for different fasteners. Just 1/4" pneumatic tools.

Ok. Makes sense about tightening up til it can't go anymore and stopping. Thanks very much for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Trying to be funny and ripping a real good fart in the "Dutch oven" but following through.
    No more wearing white trousers for you
    Blisters and Preacher like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    I like cars and bikes. But being a young man surprisingly bike insurance is 5 times cheaper than a slow car.
    Dead motorcyclists tend not to make claims
    JoshC and Boaraxa like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Dead motorcyclists tend not to make claims
    Savage.

But I hear yah. Maybe a baby will make me quit for a bit hahaha.

Tommy likes this.

Damn, white hot pants are my favorite.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Suffered threw the week at work a bit crook and now its the weekend and I am too sick to get the net out

Chicken Intolerant.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Suffered threw the week at work a bit crook and now its the weekend and I am too sick to get the net out
    Take a couple of cement pills Cam and suck it up You won't find sympathy on here

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Take a couple of cement pills Cam and suck it up You won't find sympathy on here
    Apparently not!

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk
    Mathias likes this.

Chicken Intolerant.

Just heard from someone who did a roar trip in the Ureweras where we used to go. His 1st day back at work since the roar
    They got to the hut which had a fair amount of rat sign which is understandable as the last entry was 1 month before.
    What was worse was the possum in the water tank. To get in the tank, the lid which the downpipe passes into a leaf catcher, has to be turned 1/4 to open.
    They drained it, flushed it and put some chlorine tablets in it.
    Some real arseholes out there

Remember when I was a young fella 3 of us heading upto burn hut in the tararuas for the weekend on the sunday it was decided seen as how it was the start of winter we should give the tank a clean lifted the lid & here's a dead rat in there , must have been in there a while as it disintegrated at the touch of a stick , surprisingly no one was ill .
    Greenys and Vegetarians started out just like us , there just terrible hunters

Makes me think I should have checked the middle hill hut tank when I was there....

Heard a good story the other day regarding water tanks on farms....

You get you neighbour to do yours and then you do your neighbours... You NEVER discuss what you found with each other EVER have found a fair few rats/mice/possums in the family water tank over the years
    Boaraxa and Cigar like this.