Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa NZGR

User Tag List

Like Tree13844Likes

Thread: Things you really Hate

Having a workaholic ambitious boss with ADHD, and some form of OCD. A perfectionist and micromanager as well. Chaos on wheels.

Him: This is important, and this is important, now this is important, now that's important, and so is this, and could you get this done, and why isn't this done and....oh look, a squirrel !.

Me: Sigh.

He ain't my boss no more. A relief.
    Last edited by Max Headroom; 12-08-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Having a workaholic ambitious boss with ADHD, and some form of OCD. A perfectionist and micromanager as well. Chaos on wheels.

Him: This is important, and this is important, now this is important, now that's important, and so is this, and could you get this done, and why isn't this done and....oh look, a squirrel !.

Me: Sigh.

He ain't my boss no more. A relief.
    I've got the boss with 12 personalities, most of them bad.
    Arrogant and in a couple of key areas hasn't listened to advice and wont change. Blames others for the failures.
    Cannot get his head around modern H+S, just thinks its a crock and proudly states that he doesn't want anyone to get hurt but has no training or paperwork to prove it and wonders why he doesn't get tenders much anymore.
    Oh and watch out if he's in a shit mood as he'll walk around the yard on a witch hunt.
    Very much old school and I reckon works best in a small group not a bigger business.
    Quite happy to tear a strip off of you but will also piss in your pocket and then bad mouth you to the group when you have gone.
    Struggles to pay the wages lately but still buys good deals when offered. When the pay didn't go in last week, hid in his house and when asked the next day threw various people under the bus for not notifying us, spending the money etc. when he knew probably before lunch but didn't have the balls to front and he is in complete control so just lying.
    Twat and worst boss I have ever worked for

Sounds like he needs a H+S event to draw the attention of Worksafe. Then he will find out why workplace H+S policies on paper and in action are important in todays world.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

@muzza he seems to sneak through somehow. Even bullied HS staff on site to let things slide because its over the top.
    I've been working in an industry for the last 20 years that make his over the top look like putting a band-aid on an amputation.
    Because he's been getting away with it, it just proves to him that he's right unfortunately
    If and event ever happens he will really know how serious it is.
    worst part is he doesn't seem to have the coin to put everyone through tickets etc to even start to get there

Hope you've started shopping for an upgrade. Sounds like he's unlikely to get any better..
    stingray and ROKTOY like this.

@csmiffy, sounds like it's well past time you exited stage left
    Pengy likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

LIFE
    Dam right im Pro Guns, Look at History

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Sounds like he needs a H+S event to draw the attention of Worksafe. Then he will find out why workplace H+S policies on paper and in action are important in todays world.
    I was basically told you need to kill or at least almost kill someone to get Worksafe attention.

Best make like a tree and leave.

Also don't be afraid to jump - as the economy sits at the moment anyone who wants a job can get a job

@308 getting a job isn't the issue its the pay rate. I'm struggling to pay the bills and he is paying the top market rate. Its the only reason I'm still there. It certainly isn't because its furthering my career.
    Had a chat to a recruitment agency last week and they are looking a workshop manager role for me.
    Once I saw the agency dude in person he proceeded to tell me that the most experienced tradies on his books are on less money than me and couldn't hint at what the managers role would pay but I got the impression it wouldn't be that flash.
    To top it off the machining service role wasn't what I thought. A lot of machining and the service work is pulling stuff down at a factory and rebuilding it either there or back at the shop. Other stuff going on but that's a bit of it.
    The second part at least is closer to what I've been doing but I've been more into heavy mobile machinery when I did my underground than factories.
    The first part could be a shit-fight. I'm not a very good machinist. I can pooter along at things but I haven't done much of it since '95-96.
    The agencies I've talked to just seem interested in a core trade I gave up 23 years ago.
    This all brought me down a little and after I talked to the missus it did come up that maybe we should move back to OZ. I was for looking at a FIFO role somehow but she was the one suggesting moving.
    Both kids aren't super happy about being here for a few reasons and even having the missus family here isn't quite enough to keep her here.
    Very surprised to hear it come out of her mouth I was.
    Had a crack at a heavy fitters role down Macraes. Heard a whisper of the wage and considering shift work and wanting a diesel fitter it isn't that great so maybe that's why they struggle to get people. I applied and got a couple of phone calls but the last one asked if I was a diesel fitter and I'm not so I dipped out.
    I don't quite tick the boxes for a lot of things. ive done a bit of office work, external workshop managing (repairs to the companies equipment), and trips to site for machine inspections but nothing here really matches my experience
    I made a comment a few weeks back on a thread about soul destroying, yeah well the situation hasn't changed and there isn't much light at the end of the tunnel.
    I'm starting to come to the realisation that this is all I'm good for and this is about it really. If I was better I wouldn't be in this position.
    Starting to get the shits
    Last edited by csmiffy; 13-08-2018 at 06:06 PM.
    Tommy and 300CALMAN like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    I was basically told you need to kill or at least almost kill someone to get Worksafe attention.

Best make like a tree and leave.
    Yeah it's true. There were a few incidents at work and I was in one of them. The work safe people came around. Talked to people. Had a look around and that was it.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @308 getting a job isn't the issue its the pay rate. I'm struggling to pay the bills and he is paying the top market rate. Its the only reason I'm still there. It certainly isn't because its furthering my career.
    Had a chat to a recruitment agency last week and they are looking a workshop manager role for me.
    Once I saw the agency dude in person he proceeded to tell me that the most experienced tradies on his books are on less money than me and couldn't hint at what the managers role would pay but I got the impression it wouldn't be that flash.
    To top it off the machining service role wasn't what I thought. A lot of machining and the service work is pulling stuff down at a factory and rebuilding it either there or back at the shop. Other stuff going on but that's a bit of it.
    The second part at least is closer to what I've been doing but I've been more into heavy mobile machinery when I did my underground than factories.
    The first part could be a shit-fight. I'm not a very good machinist. I can pooter along at things but I haven't done much of it since '95-96.
    The agencies I've talked to just seem interested in a core trade I gave up 23 years ago.
    This all brought me down a little and after I talked to the missus it did come up that maybe we should move back to OZ. I was for looking at a FIFO role somehow but she was the one suggesting moving.
    Both kids aren't super happy about being here for a few reasons and even having the missus family here isn't quite enough to keep her here.
    Very surprised to hear it come out of her mouth I was.
    Had a crack at a heavy fitters role down Macraes. Heard a whisper of the wage and considering shift work and wanting a diesel fitter it isn't that great so maybe that's why they struggle to get people. I applied and got a couple of phone calls but the last one asked if I was a diesel fitter and I'm not so I dipped out.
    I don't quite tick the boxes for a lot of things. ive done a bit of office work, external workshop managing (repairs to the companies equipment), and trips to site for machine inspections but nothing here really matches my experience
    I made a comment a few weeks back on a thread about soul destroying, yeah well the situation hasn't changed and there isn't much light at the end of the tunnel.
    I'm starting to come to the realisation that this is all I'm good for and this is about it really. If I was better I wouldn't be in this position.
    Starting to get the shits
    A lot of people think they should be paid more than they are. Usually they are wrong.

If you really do believe you are worth more, put a business case forward detailing it.

It’s not that hard. Especially if it’s true.

Just wanting or needing more money is irelevant if you don’t add extra value to the business.

I’m sure some of your buddies on the forum in a similar market and location could give you some suggestions.
    7mmwsm and ONYVA like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    A lot of people think they should be paid more than they are. Usually they are wrong.

If you really do believe you are worth more, put a business case forward detailing it.

Itís not that hard. Especially if itís true.

Just wanting or needing more money is irelevant if you donít add extra value to the business.

Iím sure some of your buddies on the forum in a similar market and location could give you some suggestions.
    @Proudkiwi I don't think you get what I mean from my previous post. I get paid well working for this guy but its a dead end job and he's a muppet. I wont get more working for him and I definitely wont get more in the same trade in the area. And if you read earlier, he isn't the sort of dude I want to be working for anyway. I'm not worth more to him that's why I want a better job somewhere else.
    The needing money part is my personal circumstance and has nothing to do with my employer's pay scale.
    I find it hard to reconcile being on the same money now as when I moved to Australia 12 years ago. Basically the years I spent off the tools in OZ were a waste of time.
    Like I said I am paid a good market rate but career wise I've gone backwards 10 years.
    The people on this forum have been great to deal with and very helpful but for the 8 months I've been on here I've met 2 of them.
    No one knows me from a bar of soap and I don't expect anyone to put themselves in the line of fire for someone they know from a keyboard and nor should they.
    What I'm finding is there doesn't seem to be much in the way of work here locally that pays for travel/shift work so its difficult to do the hard yards to get ahead.
    This is the job I could've got 12 years ago when I moved to Australia, it doesn't make me feel good about myself.
    I'm nudging fiddy in a couple of years and it would be nice to find a career path I could do until retirement.
    Tommy and dannyb like this.

Time to go I think.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Time to go I think.
    Would a move into management help ?
    Maybe almost the same money, but better working environment ?
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !