Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa Black Watch

User Tag List

Like Tree16249Likes

Thread: Things you really like

Where I lived in oz there where a bunch of oyster farms. Sydney rock and pacific so not as good as Bluff nor as big.
    Mind you, you could get them a heaps more often and you could by them between 7-9 bucks a dozen in the shell from the farmers so not all bad.
    I aint the best oyster shucker but I could get them open quick enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Where I lived in oz there where a bunch of oyster farms. Sydney rock and pacific so not as good as Bluff nor as big.
    Mind you, you could get them a heaps more often and you could by them between 7-9 bucks a dozen in the shell from the farmers so not all bad.
    I aint the best oyster shucker but I could get them open quick enough for me.
    Mate is a chef that reckons he has shucked 100k oysters over the last couple years. A BBQ at his will usually involve getting fed oysters for the first while we get around to cooking the rest. They usually have some fancy shit going on (favourite was bloody mary oyster shots). I can smash oysters til I pop if someone is feeding them to me
    veitnamcam and csmiffy like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Mate is a chef that reckons he has shucked 100k oysters over the last couple years. A BBQ at his will usually involve getting fed oysters for the first while we get around to cooking the rest. They usually have some fancy shit going on (favourite was bloody mary oyster shots). I can smash oysters til I pop if someone is feeding them to me
    Yea there was a bar down here doing that for breakfast a while back...mate reckoned it was bloody good but bloody expensive!
    I love em...had to stop myself from eating 3 dozen at smoko.....Have one doz left for tomorrows smoko
    R93, Beaker and Tommy like this.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

Chicken Intolerant.

Long gone are the days I'd get a dozen oysters added to my two fish and two scoops. Think the oysters were about $6/doz back in the mid 80's. I do remember giving up after the 43rd one of my dozen.
    R93 and Tommy like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Long gone are the days I'd get a dozen oysters added to my two fish and two scoops. Think the oysters were about $6/doz back in the mid 80's. I do remember giving up after the 43rd one of my dozen.
    I only eat cooked ones out of desperation.

Chicken Intolerant.

Prefer Pacific over Bluff as I'm a quantity man not quality. Found this rock off Orere point . you could get a fish bin full in only a few minutes. They were fucking huge and at 150 per person a day hoowee. mate has since moved from Manurewa to Orewa bugga.
    Tommy likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

happy to give away the spot if some Oysters come this way
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Prefer Pacific over Bluff as I'm a quantity man not quality. Found this rock off Orere point . you could get a fish bin full in only a few minutes. They were fucking huge and at 150 per person a day hoowee. mate has since moved from Manurewa to Orewa bugga.
    I don't mind the pacific ones but they would be used for bait if there were bluff ones handy.

I have a good spot to dive for them here on the coast. Haven't got a feed of them for a while so they should have built up a bit.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Do you have any tricks to share on how to open a pacific without cutting yourself or ending up with a oyster full of bits of shell?....i go alright on dredge oysters generally but pacifics have got me fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I don't mind the pacific ones but they would be used for bait if there were bluff ones handy.

I have a good spot to dive for them here on the coast. Haven't got a feed of them for a while so they should have built up a bit.

Yep same except for the dive spot.....or maybe I do....havent put a diver on it yet.

I find the pacifics nice also but like a watered down version of a dredge oyster,usually bigger meat but much less intense flavor.

Chicken Intolerant.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I only eat cooked ones out of desperation.
    Luv them raw best with a squeeze of lemon

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Can you buggers knock off all this Oyster talk. Love em but don't have any here and you are making me bloody hungry.
    Beaker likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Do you have any tricks to share on how to open a pacific without cutting yourself or ending up with a oyster full of bits of shell?....i go alright on dredge oysters generally but pacifics have got me fucked.
    some guys I knew would use a welding glove or similar if they were a PITA.
    Please forgive me if I sound like I know what I'm doing and you may do it this way also.
    Hold oyster upside down with the flat part up and the hinge of the muscle towards you. gently prise the tip of the oyster knife into the hinge with a little weight until the tip pops in then push in and sweep across top of shell to release the lid. It should be easy if not see comment below
    I have had absolute mongrel ones where the back was deformed and the knife wouldn't go in properly without a lot of weight and then there was usually chips that ended up in the shell. If they were too hard id put them aside for last or for cooking. @veitnamcam is this how you do them? Its probably how everyone does them lol

R93
    I have an Aussie female mate that can shuck pacific oysters without any grit or much trouble. She showed me but I have forgotten how.

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I have an Aussie female mate that can shuck pacific oysters without any grit or much trouble. She showed me but I have forgotten how.

Convenient forgetfulness R93. She will just have to do them for you.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    some guys I knew would use a welding glove or similar if they were a PITA.
    Please forgive me if I sound like I know what I'm doing and you may do it this way also.
    Hold oyster upside down with the flat part up and the hinge of the muscle towards you. gently prise the tip of the oyster knife into the hinge with a little weight until the tip pops in then push in and sweep across top of shell to release the lid. It should be easy if not see comment below
    I have had absolute mongrel ones where the back was deformed and the knife wouldn't go in properly without a lot of weight and then there was usually chips that ended up in the shell. If they were too hard id put them aside for last or for cooking. @veitnamcam is this how you do them? Its probably how everyone does them lol
    Dredge I place upside down hinge away from me same as a scollop but Igo in closer to me than the hinge than I would on a scollop.
    Pacific have me fucked well and truly, the shells are so irregular and paper thin im fucked if I know how they do the farmed ones....they must shock cool or heat or shock pressure them like mussels to open them a bit to get the knife in without breaking the shell?

Chicken Intolerant.