Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree36Likes
  • 28 Post By hunter308
  • 3 Post By Maca49
  • 1 Post By 7mmwsm
  • 1 Post By gimp
  • 2 Post By hunter308
  • 1 Post By hunter308

Thread: Time to reclaim my life outside of work

Time to reclaim my life outside of work

After nearly 4 years of earth works and working as a casual worker I decided I was done with yearly contracts worrying about if I still have a job each time my contract expires, the company I work for sent me to work at one of their quarries over the winter I found out the day I started working there 4 months ago that they wanted staff and expressed my interest about wanting to transfer there instead of going back to my usual job at the expressway project. Last week I was asked if I still wanted to transfer so I took the opportunity to stay there as I had already been getting trained in operating the crushing equipment to the point I can now crush rocks unsupervised. So for me there is no more compulsory saturday work but I can work saturdays if I want to do the occasional one, no more being rained off, guaranteed 50hrs a week, no more yearly contracts only down side no more overtime rates which I am not worried about. I enjoyed my time in the earthworks industry but it is time to move on to a job that is permanent and a crew where the environment within the crew is positive and welcoming.
    jakewire, P38, veitnamcam and 25 others like this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Mate you've come a long way in a few years, all the best for the future
    jakewire, veitnamcam and hunter308 like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

This may sound like a dumb statement, but rock is really interesting.
    I can't help collecting stones and rock samples where ever I travel. My kids think I'm a fruitcake because I'll often pick up an odd looking rock or stone and say "imagine if this little bugger could talk, I wonder what it's story would be?"
    Spend some time studying rock Hunter308. It will turn you into a good quarryman. And they are becoming hard to find. (I own a quarry, so do know a little bit about good quarrymen)
    Where are you working?
    Paddy79 likes this.

As a young fella,worked for Owhiro Bay Quarries in Wgtn,the family that ran it were all Irish,hard working pricks but a good lot.Actually enjoyed working the crusher,we had several,and as the Wgtn city council was our main customer there was always a lot of work.Great time and learned heaps about bad and good rocks....lol
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

I used to get mix and other stuff from owhiro bay in mid 70s when a blocky.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I can't help collecting stones and rock samples where ever I travel. My kids think I'm a fruitcake because I'll often pick up an odd looking rock or stone and say "imagine if this little bugger could talk, I wonder what it's story would be?"
    Spend some time studying rock Hunter308. It will turn you into a good quarryman. And they are becoming hard to find. (I own a quarry, so do know a little bit about good quarrymen)
    Where are you working?
    @7mmwsm I work at the one in Ngaruawahia

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

There should be a few wild goats around where you are working;-)

Good for you. Temporary/fixed term contracts suck the life out of you. Ongoing long term low-grade stress.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Where are you working?
    I'm the same 7mmwsm. I try and get something interesting from everywhere I go.
    About a year ago I stuffed a 15kg "rock" in my already heavy pack when I was coming out of the mountains because I liked the look of it.. Only had to carry it about 40 minutes luckily. My usual samples are much smaller.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I forgot to say best part of working there is blasting day, nothing like being in the designated safe zone at smoko watching the explosives get set off
    308 and Paddy79 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    I forgot to say best part of working there is blasting day, nothing like being in the designated safe zone at smoko watching the explosives get set off
    id love a job like that
    "Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas"

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Mate you've come a long way in a few years, all the best for the future
    I have come a long way but I still have a very long way to go yet before I can achieve the one thing I have always wanted but one day it will happen.
    Paddy79 likes this.