Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Todays best news article - Annoying Vegan

LOC

Todays best news article - Annoying Vegan

Woman's passport application rejected because she's an 'annoying' vegan | Stuff.co.nz

A woman in Switzerland has been refused a passport because her "annoying" vegan campaigning has rubbed her neighbours up the wrong way.

Nancy Holten, 42, is a vegan and an animal rights activist who was born in the Netherlands, but has lived in Switzerland since she was eight years old. She's fluent in Swiss German and her kids are Swiss citizens.

Holten has twice tried - and failed - to get a Swiss passport, because other residents in the community of Gipf-Oberfrick, in the canton of Aargau, don't like her outspokenness on animal rights issues.

In Switzerland, locals often get a say in a person's passport application - and Holten's neighbours have given her a thumbs down, The Local reports.

Her opposition to local traditions, like hunting, piglet racing and cows wearing bells, and her complaints about the village church bells, have seen her branded "annoying" by locals.

In 2015, her first attempt at naturalisation was approved by authorities, but 144 out of 206 village residents rejected it.

Her second effort was rejected in November.

However, Holten has appealed to the provincial government, which could overturn the locals' vote.

"Many people think that I am attacking their traditions. But that was not what it was about ... What primarily motivated me about the cowbells was the animals' welfare," Holten told The Local.

Residents said Holten's causes weren't the issue - it was just that she'd been so vocal about them, making regular comments to the media.

Local political figure Tanja Suter said Holten has a "big mouth" and residents wouldn't support her citizenship "if she annoys us and doesn't respect our traditions".

A spokesman for the local government, Urs Treier, suggested Holten wasn't wanted in the community.

"The reason why they have yet again clearly rejected the naturalisation is that Nancy Holten very often expresses her personal opinion in the media, and also gathers media coverage for rebelling against traditional [Swiss] things within the village.

"It can cause the community to not want such a person in their midst."

"in Switzerland, locals often get a say in a person's passport application "

Interesting concept
    Feather or Shoot likes this.

Perhaps there is still hope for the human race after all.

That is awesome
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

If she lived next to me I'd be voting she get a passport so she could bugger off.
    LOC likes this.

Trouble is a passport would let her come back
    Shanes215 likes this.

Ejected
    I love the swiss. They are big on guns, chocolate and coffee. Also rich from all that Nazi gold and tax evasion.
    Feather or Shoot and 223nut like this.

I,m no expert on matters Swiss, but I think it goes like this, just because you are born in Switzerland you are not a Swiss citizen, and you dont get the vote, your father has to be swiss, so your grandfather went to switzerland, your father was born there and you were there you are not a swiss citizen and you dont get to vote. So you decide to become a swiss. First you apply to your local town, then to your local district, and then to the federal govt. Then the police get involved, interviewing your neighbours, your boss , even your childrens headmaster. Finally you are a swiss citizen and you have to join the army.
    gadgetman and Beaker like this.

GWH
    She may not eat meat, but i bet she'd still lick the bone, id give her a home!
    P38, Skatieguy, Quest and 1 others like this.

Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    I lived in Switzerland for a couple years, and they vote on everything - could be said that is a good way to run a place, as the majority rule, you get a say in law changes etc....

Gun friendly for sure, and the government even issues you ammo yearly.

However they would have to be some of the most racist people I've met - not the black, Asian, etc type racist, they didn't like anyone that wasn't Swiss.

The good folk were in the minority.

The food was Shit, choices at supermarkets were crap, Whittaker's chocolate is way better than theirs, NZ cheese is WAY better, they were efficient at running very inefficient system (however the public transport is amazingly good), subsidies for everything, etc...

An example was I got talking to a guy at work, and his family had a dairy farm. His older brother now owned it. I asked how big it was, was it sole source income, etc... he said it was a medium sized joint and his brother was doing well from it. They milked 75 cows, I asked is that 75 hundred or what (I didn't believe him and thought a loss in translation), he confirmed it was 75 cows!

On Plus's and minuses, I wouldn't live there again , unless for serious 7 digit money....
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Ejected
    I've got swiss family. Everything in the above post is true.

Their farms are subsidised an obscene amount, and they tax the absolute shit out of imported produce so that their own is competitive. They're more racist and xenophobic than the Japanese. Weather's shit too. Almost everyone is rich as hell, and you'll get judged hard for not owning a top spec audi and a $6k designer coffee table.
    Beaker likes this.

Ejected
    Ok all that is relevant but more importantly are the women hot?

Ejected
    Not when they're looking down their nose at you...

...Ok yeah they are. And I like the accent too.
    Beaker likes this.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Ok all that is relevant but more importantly are the women hot?
    These two are

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 233
Size:  77.9 KB

Cheers
    Pete
    Feather or Shoot and GWH like this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

P38
    This one too

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  175.3 KB

Cheers
    Pete
    Feather or Shoot and GWH like this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.