Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: toddler going bush

LOC

toddler going bush

my oldest has just turned two and he is one of those bruiser, outside type kids that have very little fear - or sense.

over the weekend at the bach he got himself into strife twice following the dog. the first time i was luckily watching him and he went a couple of hundred metres from the house and ended up down a steep gully in a slippery clay creek. no way we would have heard him from the house and it would not be an obvious place to look. the second time he went missing was following the bloody dog again and over another bank down into the bush. after a frantic search i heard the dog crashing around and found him happily heading down through the bush. there is no way he would be able to get back up the hill and would be in a lot of strife if he started panicking... a few weekends earlier he made his way to the seashore which involves walking down a bush track about 300m. take your eye off him for literally a couple of minutes and he can bolt

aside from the obvious 'watch the kid' suggestions has anyone used any tracking tech on their toddlers? gps type things? shooting the dog ?

we can't secure the property as it has no fences and a lot of bush surrounding it. his cousins who also use the bach won't go more than 50m from their parents so we've never had to worry about them, but unfortunately my little fella is just not that type of kid

Pig dog collar with gps unit
    Wildman, Timmay and LOC like this.

Ours was too long ago for tech. We ended up using a body harness and leash. One of her nicknames 'The Little Blur'.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I feel your pain mate, my 14 month daughter is a runner, best me and the wife can do is alternate watching, her elder sister does keep an eye on here and tries to stop her running off but I do wonder if some times she encourages the wee one
    I am looking into building a temporary fence around the back with some netting, one I can take down easy enough when required (in essence build a cage )
    gadgetman and LOC like this.

LOC
    an electric flexi net fence would speed up the learning process. if she's only 14 months it could be a long road ahead mate...

i've been waiting for common sense to kick in but got a feeling it won't as i think he really enjoys going awol

just wait till she's 14 years old and is running off to the boyfriends house !
    Smiddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    an electric flexi net fence would speed up the learning process. if she's only 14 months it could be a long road ahead mate...

i've been waiting for common sense to kick in but got a feeling it won't as i think he really enjoys going awol
    Same with mine mate, happy to just cruise off and see what's happening elsewhere If we say no or chase her she just boosts off even harder

SiB
    Don't some dog trainers simply attach a large brick to slow a dog down???? Lol

Good luck mate. My grandson seemed to be obsessed with bathing in the dogs water bowl for a while. Talk about confused dogs!
    Gibo likes this.

Kennel and run
    EeeBees and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Kennel and run
    You're next!
    Pointer and EeeBees like this.

LOC
    Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    My grandson seemed to be obsessed with bathing in the dogs water bowl for a while. Talk about confused dogs!
    good for the immunity. bet he was drinking a fair bit too

Apparently, I was a runner, was put in a full harness and tyed to the clothes line to keep me in check
    Gibo and LOC like this.
    If you can just be yourself,
    You can be anything.

Electric fence works well - used it to keep my kids from the creek on our un-fenced section.

Sounds like the dog may be the problem?
    Gibo likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Ejected
    JB HiFi have a kid tracker that works through the cellular network. It costs $199 but that includes the first years cell phone plan. Buy two so you can put one in the wifes handbag...
    LOC likes this.