Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tongariro volcanic alert

Tongariro volcanic alert

Mt Tongariro volcanic alert level lifted - Yahoo! New Zealand News

GNS Science has this afternoon lifted Mt Tongariro's volcanic alert status to level one and aviation status from green to yellow amidst a suddeny rise in volcanic activity lately.

GNS says volcanic earthquakes - which they describe as "small" - have been recorded beneath Mt Tongariro with the sequence starting on July 13. While it soon declined it restarted this week on July 18 and the volcanic earthquakes have been increasing in number across Thursday and today, Friday.

"These indicate unrest at Tongariro and give reason to change the Volcanic Alert Level to Level One and the Aviation colour code to Yellow" says GNS in a statement released to WeatherWatch.co.nz this afternoon.

"As part of our routine monitoring of seismic activity, we have recorded several volcanic earthquakes at Mt Tongariro since July 13. These earthquakes are small (magnitudes <2.5) and have only been well recorded by a few of the seismometers in our permanent network. The earthquakes cluster in a zone between Emerald Crater and the Te Maari craters at 2-7km depth".

To better understand the significance of these earthquakes GNS are planning to:

Deploy portable seismic recorders around the epicentres of the earthquakes

Conduct sampling of selected hot springs, crater lakes and fumaroles in the area.

GNS says their historic seismic data has shown that these small volcanic earthquakes are common at Tongariro, but usually only occur at an average rate of 2 per yea - GNS has recorded more than 20 since July 13.

The statement from GNS goes on to say that Mt Tongariro is a volcanic complex that lies to the north of Ngauruhoe. It consists of numerous craters and vents. Te Maari craters lie about two kilometres east of Ketetahi hot springs on the north side of Mt Tongariro. The Te Maari craters are the last craters to be active on Tongariro.

Ash eruptions have been recorded from Tongariro from 1855 to 1897, as well as unconfirmed activity in 1926-27.

Important Info:

Volcano Alert Level has changed from 0 to 1

Aviation Colour Code has changed from Green to Yellow

GNS Science volcanologists are monitoring the unrest and further information will be released as necessary
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

I thought we where screwed living in ch ch , man you central north islanders will be toast If she blows her top , thinking of you all Munsey

might be safer if the whole country moves to Wellington

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    might be safer if the whole country moves to Wellington
    You gotta be shittin us Sako75. There are bloody politicians down there.
    sako75 and Dougie like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nah rushy they hardly ever there , they be using ther tax payer first class travel perks most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Nah rushy they hardly ever there , they be using ther tax payer first class travel perks most of the time
    Yep that's true. You are right that if Togariro blow there would be a mess in the central north island but think about what a shambles it would be if another one popped up here in Auckland. There have been at least 50 separate volcanoes blow here across the milennia but the last one (Rangitoto) was about 600 years ago when there wasn't a Queen Street or 1.4 million people. the first sign of that ever happening and I am heading bush for the duration.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Yep that's true. You are right that if Togariro blow there would be a mess in the central north island but think about what a shambles it would be if another one popped up here in Auckland. There have been at least 50 separate volcanoes blow here across the milennia but the last one (Rangitoto) was about 600 years ago when there wasn't a Queen Street or 1.4 million people. the first sign of that ever happening and I am heading bush for the duration.
    I'll join you, Rushy! During the first of the Christchurch quakes, most of my friends were out bush with about 40kids. They were the safest and least traumatically effected of my friends.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Always room by the fire for one more Dougie.

Lets just hope like hell it does not blow or even worse set taupo itself off or we would definitely be screwed.

Just thinking of it if Tongariro did blow good enough it could take out the Tongariro hydro and could potentially take out Aratiatia hydro as well, which would send a good wall of water down the waikato and do over the dams down there too
    Last edited by hunter308; 20-07-2012 at 05:32 PM.

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    And then the zombies will come............

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Lets just hope like hell it does not blow or even worse set taupo itself off or we would definitely be screwed.
    Mate if Taupo blows we should all just bend over and kiss our arses goodbye (those of us left alive that is). That is one big mother of a crater and from what I have read (decades ago now) when it blew it made the night sky red in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    And then the zombies will come............
    You spent too much time with those americans

Those two hydros I mentioned my grandafther worked on the construction of those two and my father and his brothers did their apprenticeships at Tongariro

Mt Eden warms up a few degrees every 10yrs or so, they keep their trap shut about that.

Volcano alert scale for the central plateau resident
    Level zero is -
    Level one is - thats nice
    Level two is - I'm not going to the ski field this week
    Level three is - I'm going sking this year
    Level four is - I need a new place to hunt for a few years
    Level five is - Hell I might as well move to chch
    Last edited by Barefoot; 20-07-2012 at 05:44 PM.

lol good every ones got the wind up, ill keep hunting down there and have the area to my self nice

I'll have a front seat view