Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

travelling with cookers

After a nightmare of a week in the North Island and not getting to where I was supposed to I was at the Weillington airport today (meant to be Auckland) and was about to board the plane when i was called back to the check in desk, once I got there I was asked to go with the person to aviation security because there was a dangerous object in my checked baggage. When I got there I was shown the xray and it was my cooker (solid fuel, not gas) I pulled it out for them explaining it was empty and dry. The security person opened it and had a sniff and reckoned they could smell fuel so it wasn't allowed on the plane. I was meant to be getting on the plane so no time to organise a courier etc (which I was told would have to be dangerous goods courier). Luckily I managed to organise a temporary storage of it so I can now try and get it sent home now I am home. When I was leaving on my flight up there I told them there was a cooker in my pack but no fuel in it and was told "oh yip no worries then". This isn't a rant or anything but more a heads up for anybody heading on a trip which requires them to fly on a commercial airline with their gear. Think I'll shift to gas for these types of trips and just buy cannisters on arrival, I was going to have to buy fuel for it anyway.
    NB the cooker had been left in the sun with the lid off the fuel cannister for a day, the cannister got very warm and there had been complete evaporation but the odour was still there.

I didn't think they were scanning domestic baggage, anyway some of those Avsec dudes are right officious SOB, I've had a run in with them before too when they tried throwing a customer (hunter who was heading to his wapiti block) off my flight.

I'll check & see what the policy on the cooker is, I thought if it was empty & checked baggage you were ok to take it. A mate in the trade always brings his one down when we go away........
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Sounds like more over zealous BS to me, theres afew good buggar members from Wellywood on here hori & Im sure one of em could sort getting ya cooker on a courier for you
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

If you need it picked up and put on a courier flick me a PM.
    Rules are for the obedience of fools
    and the guidance of wise men” Sir Douglas Bader.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    Sounds like more over zealous BS to me, theres afew good buggar members from Wellywood on here hori & Im sure one of em could sort getting ya cooker on a courier for you
    If i cant get it sorted I might see if I can call in a forum favour....
    Was wondering if he was just a bit bummed that he thought he had found a bomb and it was just a cooker so didnt want to look like a tool

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    If i cant get it sorted I might see if I can call in a forum favour....
    Was wondering if he was just a bit bummed that he thought he had found a bomb and it was just a cooker so didnt want to look like a tool
    A bit too late for that....

Ejected
    Pig islanders man. Their fucked.

But I will add to this That wellywood joint is a cunt of an airport. Sorry you ended up in that shithole.
    Last edited by Wirehunt; 22-01-2012 at 05:47 AM.

Seems my temporary storage solution was disallowed by the airport security and the cooker has been "destroyed" pisses me off when they had said it was all sweet as I was leaving their office
    Has turned into an even more expensive trip.
    On another note what does their insurance actually cover? Had a death in the family which meant I had to change flights and all they would do was save the value of the original flight (booked well in advance) and transfer it to the flight I then needed to book (last minute meaning only the ~$500 seats were available). Add re-booking fees etc and there goes the price of original booking anyway. You would think a seat could be re-allocated given that one had already been booked and would make their insurances more worth while

I dunno what the problem is, I travel with my cooker all the time. Sometimes when she talks too much I turn the stereo up but normally shes ok

Ejected
    Lmao!!

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    Seems my temporary storage solution was disallowed by the airport security and the cooker has been "destroyed"
    YEAH RIGHT, that sounds like a load of shite to me, Me's thinks someone in the airport staff scored them selves a free cooker
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

YEAH RIGHT, that sounds like a load of shite to me, Me's thinks someone in the airport staff scored them selves a free cooker
    Yep doesnt sound right to me either
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Exactly what I was thinking, surprised I havent seen it on trade me....