Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Tree pruning

Tree pruning

Who are the forestry guys here?
    I started pruning some more trees today. Didn't do any last year, but about 2ha the year before.
    I aim to prune no more than half of the green off. A bit like this:

Is this about normal?

Also how old do people think these trees are? :eek:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Caretaker
    I wouldn't prune any more than that off as green= photosynthesis=rapid growth

age I'd say 5yrs in good soil and 6 or 7yrs in poor soil/ multiple drought conditions
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Load....Action....Instant ....Watch and Shoot! ishoot10s's Avatar
    Not in the industry, but I've help prune some private pine blocks to 2nd lift and thinning. Looks about right, 1st lift is typically to half the height of 4 to 5m trees. Cut off any epicormics.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Typically pruning is carried out in 3 hits, age 5, 7-8, and 9-10, to 2.5m, 4.5, 6.5 respectively. This is more based on crop growth rather than age.

The aim is to achieve the prune height without knocking the tree about when the tree diameter is smallest. This means the defect core will be small, and the tree will grow more clear wood.

Only prune up to 45% tree height, which looks about right in your photo. Otherwise you push the tree a little hard and you can cause magnesium deficiency and they can dieback.

Then Give them another couple of years and prune them again. In a small block if you are doing it yourself and it's your block I would recommend you final lift to 8 metres pruned height. Two decent pruned butt logs at harvest then.

Don't prune every tree like you have, you're wasting your time. Looking at that stocking (planted stocking looks quite low) there I would recommend you only prune a third to half of them, not necessarily every 2nd tree but only the best tree out of 2 or 3.

What is unpruned/malformed/defect/damaged/suppressed/diseased needs to be cut out. This should be done in two hits, the first one when trees are 12-13m tall, or just after final pruning, taking out a third of the worst trees.

You could either do a final waste thin at 15m av tree height, or production thin for posts at 18-20m tree height.

Given the size of the block I'd just waste thin, the economics of production thinning small blocks generally don't stack up.

The aim is to achieve 325-350 pruned to 6.5m+ stems per hectare, evenly spaced. Any higher than 350 sph and the crop won't maximise their growth potential.

Also, if it's your block, you can afford to prune a few more around the edges, they grow bigger as they don't have the same competition as the internal crop trees. They're the 'cream'...they'll grow biggest and are the easiest and cheapest to log!

Just don't prune anything small, or unlikely to have a 6.5 metre straight prunable section...it's a waste of time doing so.
    199p, ishoot10s, 308 and 2 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I find pruning at ground level most effective.
    puku, Savage1, stingray and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Encyclopaedic reply Josh.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Encyclopaedic reply Josh.
    Haha. Trees are what pay my bills rushy.

Started pruning/thinning when I was 12, now managing forests and sorting work for several crews in otago/southland/canterbury. Deal with it daily.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Typically pruning is carried out in 3 hits, age 5, 7-8, and 9-10, to 2.5m, 4.5, 6.5 respectively. This is more based on crop growth rather than age.

The aim is to achieve the prune height without knocking the tree about when the tree diameter is smallest. This means the defect core will be small, and the tree will grow more clear wood.

Only prune up to 45% tree height, which looks about right in your photo. Otherwise you push the tree a little hard and you can cause magnesium deficiency and they can dieback.

Then Give them another couple of years and prune them again. In a small block if you are doing it yourself and it's your block I would recommend you final lift to 8 metres pruned height. Two decent pruned butt logs at harvest then.

Don't prune every tree like you have, you're wasting your time. Looking at that stocking (planted stocking looks quite low) there I would recommend you only prune a third to half of them, not necessarily every 2nd tree but only the best tree out of 2 or 3.

What is unpruned/malformed/defect/damaged/suppressed/diseased needs to be cut out. This should be done in two hits, the first one when trees are 12-13m tall, or just after final pruning, taking out a third of the worst trees.

You could either do a final waste thin at 15m av tree height, or production thin for posts at 18-20m tree height.

Given the size of the block I'd just waste thin, the economics of production thinning small blocks generally don't stack up.

The aim is to achieve 325-350 pruned to 6.5m+ stems per hectare, evenly spaced. Any higher than 350 sph and the crop won't maximise their growth potential.

Also, if it's your block, you can afford to prune a few more around the edges, they grow bigger as they don't have the same competition as the internal crop trees. They're the 'cream'...they'll grow biggest and are the easiest and cheapest to log!

Just don't prune anything small, or unlikely to have a 6.5 metre straight prunable section...it's a waste of time doing so.
    Thanks Josh,

It is only a small block that was planted when that pivot went in.

Its a good block for shorn ewes when it turns a bit sour.

Any other advances on the ages?

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I find pruning at ground level most effective.
    Did some of that in the weekend.............. only front yard to go

Quote Originally Posted by puku View Post
    Any other advances on the ages?
    Hard to truly assess the height without a person in the pic to compare but roughly 6yrs.
    What size is the block? The usual trap is putting an big effort into a small block and then getting a kick in the balls at harvest time because of the inefficiency of logging a small block.
    They are nice small branches on them, the wonders of modern genetics

I was pruning to eye height roughly. Nice small branches because trees don't like growing in the maniototo.

15 year pines and never had a drink in there life
    puku likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Haha. Trees are what pay my bills rushy.

Started pruning/thinning when I was 12, now managing forests and sorting work for several crews in otago/southland/canterbury. Deal with it daily.
    I figured as much. My old man was in timber all his life and would give very similar answers when anyone asked him a question.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

You are bloody close there old boy. 15 but they got border dyke water fit the first three summers!
    In the last five years I have been here those ones have doubled in size, from having two wet years

Honestly 15yrs? Cut them out, your wasting your time