Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Sako 243
  • 1 Post By Sako 243
  • 1 Post By 7mmwsm
  • 1 Post By sako75

Thread: Turkeys

Turkeys

No, not the other drivers on the roads... the type you eat!

Last January, we bought 18 3-4 month old turkey poults to raise for the freezer... they were so good, we kept a Tom and a hen to breed this year. So I contacted Crozier's in Ashburton and bought two of their broad breasted commercial hens, also 4 months old.

This year we have bred them. The first batch hatched in October, and so there's 10 outside with the adult turkeys.

Then we have 20 inside. 2 at 3 weeks, 8 at a week, and another 10 hatch over the past 48 hours.
    Name:  IMG_0659.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  494.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0658.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  640.4 KB

Anyone else raise turkeys for the table?

Looking at the growth rates of the older poults, the poults from the heritage bronze Tom over the white commercial hens are growing approx 50% quicker than the Poults from the heritage buff hen.

John
    P38 and Blue Arrow like this.

Yup we used to breed turkeys when I was a kid, as chicks they are very vulnerable to the cold and wet, but your set up looks very good. As adults they are tough as all hell. Our ones were free range and they never wandered off the property, their very clever birds and know a good thing with regular food etc. I absolutely would have Turkeys again over chickens, great character birds and fun to watch the males strut their stuff.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Yeah I love their natures. So quiet compared to most other poultry. They dress really easily and quickly too when processing them.

My wife soaks them in a brine for 24 hours prior to cooking, then usually stuffs them. Absolute prime eating right there!

We keep them inside under heaters till they feather up and the outside temps are stable before letting them out around week 3-4.

The commercial white hens are too clumsy to sit on eggs, tending to break too many so we incubate them. The buff hen successfully set and hatched the first batch in October and lost very few.
    oneshot likes this.

P38
    Nice @Sako 243

I'd love to have a bit more land than a 1/4 acre.

I'd have turkeys and pheasants for sure ........ They both taste delicious.

How old are the turkeys before you eat them?

Wonder if I can build a turkey run and keep them in town.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Yup we used to breed turkeys when I was a kid, as chicks they are very vulnerable to the cold and wet, but your set up looks very good. As adults they are tough as all hell. Our ones were free range and they never wandered off the property, their very clever birds and know a good thing with regular food etc. I absolutely would have Turkeys again over chickens, great character birds and fun to watch the males strut their stuff.
    You must have come across some really dumb birds if you think Turkeys are clever.
    Although Emus would be dumber than Turkeys.
    Steve123 likes this.

That's a pretty neat hobby

So many turkeys near here that we just have to go for a walk when no one is around
    Sako 243 likes this.