Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: TV on the fritz

Take a teaspoon of sauce anyway.
    GravelBen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Yeah il try find my receipt and get all cray cray with jb hi fi.
    They'll refer you straight to the manufacturer, even though it is the retailer's problem.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
    mikee and Gibo like this.

Hi team, TV just shat its arse by the looks. Picture has all these horizontal lines like the graphic card (is that even a thing) is loose. Blurred colours but mainly black. Can sometimes pick up the channel number when changing them....HD ports doing the same so not aerial issue.

Turned it off and gave it a few taps around the place and it went ok again for a few minutes.

Samsung LED about 4 years old.

Worth getting it looked at? @gonetropo??
    Check with Citizen's Advice Bureau, Gibo. A reasonable life expectation of a TV is relative to its price. From memory, a $1500 TV should reasonably last 5-10 years. You may well have a case for a refund. Do not roll over.

We had a similar issue, shop sent it to its repairman, he confirmed it was dead, we got refund (don't get an equal inch screen size replacement, as that usually means lower specs than the one you bought 4 yrs ago - higher specs are often on the biggest screen sizes).
    Gibo likes this.

Mines working again
    When it dies buy an LG

Theres nothing wrong with your tv I suspect its one of those artificial intelligence equipt ones and its just saving your sanity by censoring out the crap that is dished out to the public these days as news or entertainment.
    mikee, Pengy and 223nut like this.

Hi team, TV just shat its arse by the looks. Picture has all these horizontal lines like the graphic card (is that even a thing) is loose. Blurred colours but mainly black. Can sometimes pick up the channel number when changing them....HD ports doing the same so not aerial issue.

Turned it off and gave it a few taps around the place and it went ok again for a few minutes.

Samsung LED about 4 years old.

Worth getting it looked at? @gonetropo??
    Sorry i couldnt reply earlier, i went to change the email addy in my profile and now am locked out.

Samsung TV's had a very bad run a few years back of using electrolytic capacitors that failed, they are cheap as chips to replace and you can replace all the ones that fail in the power supply for about $15.
    they cause all sorts of issues from black lines to weird coloured bars on the screen. you can tell which ones have failed as they will look swollen or have brown goo spilling out from the base of them.

Quote Originally Posted by gone-tropo View Post
    Sorry i couldnt reply earlier, i went to change the email addy in my profile and now am locked out.

Samsung TV's had a very bad run a few years back of using electrolytic capacitors that failed, they are cheap as chips to replace and you can replace all the ones that fail in the power supply for about $15.
    they cause all sorts of issues from black lines to weird coloured bars on the screen. you can tell which ones have failed as they will look swollen or have brown goo spilling out from the base of them.
    So its worth asking a tv repair guy, do they still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Take a teaspoon of sauce anyway.
    What is this 'sauce' that you speak of,young Key?

So its worth asking a tv repair guy, do they still exist?
    Yes and yes.
    Gibo and Cordite like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Looks like you have a Tisco in Tauranga.
    Gibo likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

@Gibo, take it to a TV repair guy through the seller so as not to void your consumer rights. It seems wrong just to toss it - even if you get a new one in return.
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    What is this 'sauce' that you speak of,young Key?
    Whatever sauce was used on @Angus A @ryansonghurst and others at the Toby shoot. I assume he has a stock of it.

tisco went bust years ago

Quote Originally Posted by gone-tropo View Post
    tisco went bust years ago
    I did my apprenticeship with them in the 80's (god I'm old) before I wise'd up and found commercial customers are far better to work for/with than the general public

Its 8 years old not liking my chances