Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Uhf problem

Uhf problem

Any one on here play with uhfs ive got a Uhf in my suzi and after managing to talk to someone on it they were saying i had a strong transmit signal but weak audio its a uniden it receives well possibly a mike problem can get a model no if it helps mike has mk 800 on it

Antenna. This is 80% science and 20% voodoo. Tuned tuned lenght feedline, good ground plane. Make sure there's no short in the coax shielding. Don't run it past high current draw things, windscreen wiper motors etc.
    If it has a detachable mike then you could try another one but antenna would be the first thing I'd check.

OK, antenna will give you modulation of the RF signal gives you "voice". when i was back in the days of FM broadcast the audio frequencies were compressed to hell to modulate distance. this meant 2 things.
    1: your signal went further
    2: everything sounded like there was no highs and lows in volume

so it may be a microphone issue, and if it an external mic go try another . but chances are its a modulation issue

+1

Got a picture of your antenna installation?

If you have the ability to troubleshoot by swapping out the mic, that would help. I have had issues when moisture has caused the mic plug contacts to get a little corroded... just putting the plug in and out a few times can help with that in a very unscientific way.

so ive had a play with radio and ive found the plug where the mike plugs in is all wobbly i think there must be a clip inside it thats broken or something so i cant be arsed pissing around with it so ill just ask another question here instead of starting another thread the current radio im running is a uniden uh8010s but looking at a gme tx3100 i think it is which one is better

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    +1

Got a picture of your antenna installation?

If you have the ability to troubleshoot by swapping out the mic, that would help. I have had issues when moisture has caused the mic plug contacts to get a little corroded... just putting the plug in and out a few times can help with that in a very unscientific way.
    the antenna looks like an at885 off the uniden sight it seems to recieve really well i can pick up manurewa and sometimes port waikato from silverdale

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    so ive had a play with radio and ive found the plug where the mike plugs in is all wobbly i think there must be a clip inside it thats broken or something so i cant be arsed pissing around with it so ill just ask another question here instead of starting another thread the current radio im running is a uniden uh8010s but looking at a gme tx3100 i think it is which one is better
    I have a tx3120s, works like it should. No complaints, only use it occasionally

Any one on here play with uhfs ive got a Uhf in my suzi and after managing to talk to someone on it they were saying i had a strong transmit signal but weak audio its a uniden it receives well possibly a mike problem can get a model no if it helps mike has mk 800 on it
    So they had a strong signal indication from your transmission on their receiver needle. So nothing wrong with your antenna from this. Sounds like your lacking audio was just under-modulation. Literally it would have sounded like your mouth was too far from your microphone. Before you try anything I'd try to speak to another radio contact though as they might not have the same reception experience as the other bloke had.

Ive tried talking to my handhelds and voice is really soft would coiling up excess antenna cable and tying it out of the way affect it

I'm running a GME XRS370C XRS Connect Compact Hideaway in my Hilux. Its been excellent. Big advantage with this type of unit is that the main body of the radio can be hidden out of sight as all the controls are in the mic. I have the body mounted under the centre console with a mic extension lead to a bulk head plug for the mic fitted to the dash. If you are worried about someone breaking into your truck to grab your radio, you can unplug the mic and throw it into the glovebox (nothing to see here …..).

https://www.mobilesystems.co.nz/vdb/document/398

Ive tried talking to my handhelds and voice is really soft would coiling up excess antenna cable and tying it out of the way affect it
    People will tell you it will but no it wont, Uniden have a 3 year warrenty I believe so you could check that. Or give them a call they do actually repair their stuff ( or did).

People will tell you all sorts of things about radio stuff / antennas and for HF (SSB) it matters but VHF or UHF not so much
    gadgetman likes this.

this is the areial im running are they any good it came with the unit Name:  20190827_074557.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  4.33 MB also whats the steel tube part at the bottom of it do

looks like "raised feed" antenna high gain / short length in other words a good antenna

ok thanks so does it transmit from where you can see the coil about a third the way up it or does the siginal come out the top of it

ok thanks so does it transmit from where you can see the coil about a third the way up it or does the siginal come out the top of it
    Top Section main part of Tx antenna but the lower bit before the spring is most likely also part of the antenna "ground plane"so really all of it above the spring ..............confused??