Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By baldbob
  • 2 Post By Rich007
  • 2 Post By kiwijames
  • 3 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Bonecrusher

Thread: wake up calls in life who has had one

wake up calls in life who has had one

For me was last year at the Taupo NZDA range when I had a round of reloaded .243 ammo blow up in my face that was supplied with a rifle I had purchased. I realised then that life is so short it is not worth dwelling on the past that day I could have lost mine or been severely injured had the safety features of the rifle failed.

So what sort of scary shit has given you a reality check?.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Waking up after a night on the turps in a fat chicks bed....
    Spanners, Dundee and Smiddy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    It must have felt better when you realised she was your cousin though???
    Spanners and sako75 like this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Was standing next to a traffic light on Dominion Rd (Aucks) when when two cars crashed infront of me and one started heading in my direction. Had just enough time to step behind the traffic light then, smash! Had I been tying my shoe laces, looking at my watch or just day dreaming I'd be gone burgers. Can't say the experience changed my life though.
    Have also woken up next to a fat chick and that didn't change my life either!!!

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    Any port in a storm boys
    Spanners and Pointer like this.

Getting caught out by a bigger than expected set when coming in to retrive the boat at Manu Bay. When we realised just how much trouble we were in the skipper did a u-turn and headed back out to sea (still not sure that was the right thing to do...) we wore three big waves right over the top of the boat before we got clear. I dont mind admitting that I very nearly shit my pants.

Worse bit.....no life jackets......cock!

Needless to say, I went a got a self inflating jacket the following day and have never not worn it since that day.

At 19 I needed an operation. The odds were in the favour of me seeing the rest of my days in a wheelchair. But either way the pain that was causing me to black out all the time should ease a bit. Hasn't changed me that much, I am a little more cautious with my footing knowing even a relatively small fall would likely have a bad result.

got caught out in the waimak on a tyre tube, thought i was gone, took a couple of years to get used to the water again

Falling asleep at the wheel between Taupo and Wairakei, woke up when the tyres hit the gutter on the other side and looked up to see a slopey nosed KW heading my way...lots of lessons learnt in that little moment or three...

Got married. It gave me a terrible fright. Took me 12 years of being single again before I recovered. Learned my lesson.
    Spanners, 199p and RimfireNZ like this.

Diagnosed with cancer, young family mortgage, surgery to the jaw a momento to remember the occasion was scar 6in long - long and short of it pathology miss diagnosed me I dodged bulllet
    Spanners likes this.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Had a ride in the Westpac after a good accident and 4 ops over the next year or so - gives you alot of time to ponder stuff while in a hospital bed.

Deff changed my outlook.. something you cant explain if you;ve not been there

6 ft and bullet proof turned pretty quick into 6 ft and squishy .. still squishy and 6 ft 10 years later..

Drowned my ute a major wake up call when I was a teenager.As I was submerged in a swollen creek but with hunting in my nature I had a mercator pocket knife as a necklace that I managed too cut the seatbelt and get out of there.Heres a pics the next day.

Name:  holden in creek.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  56.7 KB

In all honesty what would have had a greater impact on me was hauling a couple of guys in from a rip. The first one was giving up and I struggled back with him. Then I went back out for some more fun and found a second one. He kept disappearing under water and when I was about 10m away he didn't come back up. Dived under and got him back to the surface, made sure he was still breathing, then hauled him back. After that I was knackered. I'm wasn't a surf life saver, the was me mum.

Actually that reminds me of another story. My brother-in-law produced a bit of newspaper and was pleases as punch to announce that his father was the runner up in the Canterbury swimming champs. The look on his face when his wife/my sister pointed out that the winner (he'd forgotten about maiden names) was our mum who back in the day decided there wasn't enough competition in the lady's race; priceless.