Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Wallpapering

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar

Wallpapering

As a Christmas/New Years project we have decided to wallpaper the main bedroom. So far stripped all the old stuff off painted the ceiling and sanded the walls to make sure there are no lumps or loose bits and wiped with a damp cloth. Im about to size the wall tonight and start putting up paper tomorrow.
    Are there any tips and tricks I need to know apart from the obvious and use a level or plum bob.

Name:  B2AF1886-DE96-4426-874A-FB33029FFF53.jpeg
Views: 241
Size:  2.04 MB
    Name:  B91FACBB-E114-450E-97CF-B9E68B4E988B.jpeg
Views: 223
Size:  948.1 KB

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

if it has a recurring pattern be prepared for stress and swearing........ dont be shy with the glue especially at the edges....good sharp blades in the stanley ... a good metal straight edge for trimming .....always cut a roll up into drops and mark the top on each one....then the 2nd in command can be pasting while your hanging most importantly make sure theres beer in the fridge for when its done!!!......you will need it
    Shootm and Pengy like this.

oh and first drop take it 5-10mm round the corner (and do that in every corner and overlap the corners in case the walls arent square)and start from the corner you look at when you walk in the door and work you way back to the least visible corner
    Shootm, tetawa, kokako and 2 others like this.

I’ve helped the old man with a room a few years ago so got a rough idea. Beers are definitely in the fridge and the paper we bought has no pattern and I made sure of that before we got it. I think everything else is covered. I will put up some pics if it looks good hopefully tomorrow.
    Cheers.
    veitnamcam likes this.

kill the circuits and remove power points and light switches etc when you get to that strip. push wiring into flush box and then knife cut the hole, far easier than trying to cut holes before hanging
    Shootm and Sideshow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    kill the circuits and remove power points and light switches etc when you get to that strip. push wiring into flush box and then knife cut the hole, far easier than trying to cut holes before hanging
    Scotty and gontropo are on to it, nothing worse than cut crosses on your switches, at least the new ones have removable covers so if you dont want to play with electrics just remove the covers.
    Shootm likes this.
    Remember the 7 Ps; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Learn to become a good wallpaper “ bullshitter “ when something goes wrong and you have to put right a mistake!!
    Set up first drop with plumb bob, keep checking measuremt to corner, no whiskey while in progress, have seen to much whiskey during papering, have the drops go from vertical to horizontal. Be patient, and work by yourself!!
    Shootm likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Make sure your walls are smooth any little bumps and little bits of grit will show through

If it’s a straight drop patten good if not we’ll look on YouTube

Straight drop patten measure height of wall then take a roll of paper and mark how many you need across the biggest wall. Do as @scotty said with your first drop rap it around the corners by 5mm and over lap on this when starting next wall. Oh also start in the corner closest to the window and move away from this so that the shadow of the joins dose not show.

With pasting paper take one roll and place face up on table add 150mm to each end of your height measurement and check the paper for marks and defects as you cut the entire roll to the correct lengths. Save the off cuts for small areas like above doorways and windows.
    Before turning all these cuts over for pasting roll the ends back on them selves to stop them from trying to roll up again
    Once you start pasting the back of the paper you start at the top and past out to the edges keeping the past off of the edges of the table, if you do get past on your table wipe off with a wet sponge or your other paper will stick together.
    Once half is pasted followed the top to the center then past the lower half of the drop and fold again but this on a clean surface and past your next drop this will give the past time to soak in.
    Now take for the first drop take the folded top and peal it back when on the ladder and next to your marked plumbed line place the paper on the wall make sure you have the 150mm over lap onto the ceiling. Now smooth out the paper. If it doesn’t look good peel back and try again have confidence that you can do this that is the key. Push all bubbles out to the corners. When happy with the top peel back the bottom and repeat. Then before trimming take your next roll and but up to your first and repeat. Trim your first roll once the second is up and wipe the past off the ceiling and the skirting. Place waste in bag unless you want strips of paper stuck all over the house
    Before trimming the second drop paste your third and carry on like this till room is done
    Once finish take hammer and flatten out the cat and any kids that have become stuck under said work
    Shootm likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Thanks for the info team

Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    As a Christmas/New Years project we have decided to wallpaper the main bedroom. So far stripped all the old stuff off painted the ceiling and sanded the walls to make sure there are no lumps or loose bits and wiped with a damp cloth. I’m about to size the wall tonight and start putting up paper tomorrow.
    Are there any tips and tricks I need to know apart from the obvious and use a level or plum bob.

Attachment 101949
    Attachment 101950
    If your prep work passes muster -- paint. No join lines to swear about, and you can stencil something onto it if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    If your prep work passes muster -- paint. No join lines to swear about, and you can stencil something onto it if you want to.
    Did think about that, but looking forward to the challenge of putting up wallpaper....well kind of.

All going well so far. Feature wall done and no arguments yet

Name:  2DC77679-0DDA-4469-88CA-7D2DC95CA832.jpeg
Views: 123
Size:  2.16 MB
    Name:  844868E5-9E19-4BEC-82D9-6679F29D8844.jpeg
Views: 123
Size:  2.13 MB
    Sako 243 and Cordite like this.

Second wall done. Getting the ‘Hang’ of it now

Name:  67312DD0-33E7-4623-8EB6-C9FCAF4DCF0F.jpeg
Views: 107
Size:  1.67 MB
    jakewire, Sako 243 and Cordite like this.

I thought you said wallpaper not wooden panelling. Looks good.
    Shootm likes this.
    Remember the 7 Ps; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

On the home straight one wall to go.....lunchtime and then back into it.

Name:  304F84A1-97C5-4686-8F30-FC25C13B3846.jpeg
Views: 91
Size:  1,013.3 KB
    nor-west, Sako 243 and Steve123 like this.