Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Water tank treatment

  1. #1
    Member Pengy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Up in da hills somewhere near Nelson
    Posts
    8,137

    Water tank treatment

    My wee hut in the hills takes it`s water from a creek above, via a 25000 ltr tank.
    As it is mostly a solo occupancy house ( sounds better than `I live alone `) , I am guessing the water may get a little stagnant due to sitting around.
    I obviously use water daily, and take a shower at least once a week, even if I don't really need it The house does have a couple of basic filters in the line, and I have never been crook due to the water, but I would like suggestions as to what I could put in the tank to purify as a precaution.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

  2. #2
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    14,494
    The standard for the outdoors was always a drop of bleach/sodium hypochloride. Waikato would probably eat the tank out.
    stingray, mikee and aarben2000 like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  3. #3
    Member Pengy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Up in da hills somewhere near Nelson
    Posts
    8,137
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    The standard for the outdoors was always a drop of bleach/sodium hypochloride. Waikato would probably eat the tank out.
    Yes, but what is a DROP ?
    Got around 20 thou sitting in the tank now
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

  4. #4
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    14,494
    Ok, a wee dram then.
    stingray likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

  5. #5
    Member Pengy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Up in da hills somewhere near Nelson
    Posts
    8,137
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Ok, a wee dram then.
    Now you are talking sense
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

  6. #6
    Member Pengy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Up in da hills somewhere near Nelson
    Posts
    8,137
    Almost
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

  7. #7
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    26,856
    Listen carefully, I will say this only once Pengy. I have been on tank water (rain water) almost forever. Each year after the pine pollen drift I have dosed our tanks with one and a half bottles of Janola per tank (not the scented kind - cheap and nasty does the trick). This causes the water to smell and taste a little Chlorine E for a couple of days but neutralises all the nasties that come from decaying vegetable matter (pollen), bird shit and possum carcasses. In your case if you are drawing from a creek it will neutralise the effects of the maggot infested bloated cow that fell in it up stream.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  8. #8
    Member Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    W-BOP
    Posts
    4,960
    A panel and a UV bulb inside the tank?
    Pengy likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    carterton
    Posts
    368
    I use a cup of swimming pool chlorine about once a year. in our tank Plus we have two filters and a uv light

  10. #10
    Member Pengy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Up in da hills somewhere near Nelson
    Posts
    8,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Listen carefully, I will say this only once Pengy. I have been on tank water (rain water) almost forever. Each year after the pine pollen drift I have dosed our tanks with one and a half bottles of Janola per tank (not the scented kind - cheap and nasty does the trick). This causes the water to smell and taste a little Chlorine E for a couple of days but neutralises all the nasties that come from decaying vegetable matter (pollen), bird shit and possum carcasses. In your case if you are drawing from a creek it will neutralise the effects of the maggot infested bloated cow that fell in it up stream.
    Thankyou oh wise one.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

  11. #11
    Member Sako851's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Manawatu
    Posts
    309
    Nah what you wanna do is pour the Waikato into the tank and then drink the bleach, it will taste better and probably be a lot healthier

  12. #12
    Member Pengy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Up in da hills somewhere near Nelson
    Posts
    8,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin358 View Post
    I use a cup of swimming pool chlorine about once a year. in our tank Plus we have two filters and a uv light
    I actually came close to getting that stuff in Bunnings today, but shied away as it gave all sorts of health warnings on the container
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

  13. #13
    Member Pengy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Up in da hills somewhere near Nelson
    Posts
    8,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Sako851 View Post
    Nah what you wanna do is pour the Waikato into the tank and then drink the bleach, it will taste better and probably be a lot healthier
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

  14. #14
    SiB
    SiB is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Invercargill
    Posts
    1,485
    Water scientist I spoke with after I found a dead possum floating in my main rain tank said “a bottle of bleach”. Per above the bleach taste soon dissipates.

  15. #15
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    26,856
    Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    Water scientist I spoke with after I found a dead possum floating in my main rain tank said “a bottle of bleach”. Per above the bleach taste soon dissipates.
    Drum roll please ........ Ta Daaa ... Told you so Pengy.
    stingray likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Boot care and jacket treatment
    By Gibo in forum Gear and Equipment
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 19-09-2017, 10:18 AM
  2. Poplar root vs water tank
    By smidey in forum Off topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 15-02-2017, 04:54 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-01-2017, 07:01 AM
  4. Best DWR treatment?
    By Ryan_Songhurst in forum Gear and Equipment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 14-12-2016, 09:29 PM
  5. Leder Tanning kits - Rain water or Tap water
    By FletchNZ in forum Taxidermy
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19-06-2014, 03:20 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!