Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator NZGR

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: And we wonder why people are losing faith in the NZ Police

And we wonder why people are losing faith in the NZ Police

Exclusive: Waikato's top cop investigated over trying to stop daughter's arrest - NZ Herald

Waikato's top cop tried to put pressure on his staff to stop the arrest of his daughter.

Area commander Superintendent Bruce Bird was the subject of an employment investigation after the incident but has been allowed to keep his job. He is also subject to an Independent Police Conduct Authority (IPCA) investigation.

Interfering with the arrest of a friend or family member is a conflict of interest and a breach of police policy.

Bird's daughter was arrested after a domestic incident in January and taken to Hamilton Central Police Station, sources told the Herald.

Soon after, Bird - who has been Waikato's top cop since 2014 - found out about the arrest and phoned the senior officer on duty and put pressure on him to stop the arrest from happening.

Despite his interference, the woman was still processed and arrested. The Herald understands the prosecution was handled outside the Waikato district and she was given diversion.

The senior officer who was on duty when Bird's daughter was brought in abruptly quit police shortly afterwards, the Herald understands.

The officer, who the Herald has chosen not to name, then filed an official complaint with the IPCA. An investigation is still ongoing.

A police spokesman confirmed Bird was the subject of an employment investigation following a complaint from a member of staff.

"This related to a telephone conversation between Mr Bird and this individual regarding a member of Mr Bird's family," he said.

"The matter was subject to an internal investigation and resolved through an employment process.

"Mr Bird accepts that he made an error of judgement in relation to the telephone conversation, and has apologised to the individual involved."

Bird remains in his current role.

Police were "not aware of anyone who has left police" over the incident, the spokesman said.

Police would not confirm the charge laid against the daughter, nor the outcome.

All staff were expected to "act in accordance with the core values of police", the spokesperson said.

"Police have a Code of Conduct and relevant policies, including a conflict of interest policy. We take any complaint about a member of staff seriously, and any steps taken are always dependent on the specific nature of each matter."

The IPCA confirmed it was nearing the completion of its draft findings, but as it was an internal investigation the findings would not be made public.

The Waikato Police Association was unaware of any complaint or issue involving Bird when contacted by the Herald.

Police sources spoken to say they were shocked by the senior staff member's sudden departure.

It's understood the senior officer at the centre of the inquiry is subject to a confidentiality agreement.

Bird declined to comment when approached by the Herald.
    outdoorlad, grunzter and rossi.45 like this.

Ive met a few former cops in recent years who have all quit because of they way the police force and attitudes of cops has gone, they all becoming dodgy as fuck.
    and recently I went in to the op shop to get forms for b-e cat, and the officer was giving me the third degree about until the vetting officer standing beside me told him it was none of his business
    mikee, Feral, rossi.45 and 1 others like this.

Good on the Cop who stood up to his boss.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

So one says he's left and the police say no he still here and I'm talking about the good one not the one under investigation?

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    So one says he's left and the police say no he still here and I'm talking about the good one not the one under investigation?
    Think they are just saying his leaving shortly afterwards 'wasn't related'.

If he's dodgy once, he's been dodgy the entire time in my opinion. He should be doing time inside for that, the fact he's still there is a fucking disgrace.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Theres also that one in dunners who was convicted of harrassing some guy over a parking ticket. Hes still there too.
    timattalon and rossi.45 like this.

imean its human nature to want to protect your kids but sometimes protecting them is the worst possible option.
    cos they think your gonna do it everytime the play silly buggers and then expect it whether deserved or not.
    maybe the lax employment standards relating to police now can shoulder some blame..
    veitnamcam and Pointer like this.

ice cube has something to say about all this.
    Frosty, Steve123 and LOC like this.
    Use enough gun

do you guys know what the most common reason people are fired is?????
    according to what I was told its along the lines of giving mates/family extra chips with thier meal etc etc etc etc
    this is no different....its not right ...it just human nature,we all want to look after our friends and family,you can bet this fella has been given absolute arseholes from workmates and will be watched carefully from here on.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    do you guys know what the most common reason people are fired is?????
    according to what I was told its along the lines of giving mates/family extra chips with thier meal etc etc etc etc
    this is no different....its not right ...it just human nature,we all want to look after our friends and family,you can bet this fella has been given absolute arseholes from workmates and will be watched carefully from here on.
    Yep... and he will be out of this job as well. The media is leaked only a little of this stuff and a whole lot more goes on behind closed doors and despite what you guys think our police are not the old NSW force or the '80's Rotorua mob and this shit gets sorted quickly these days. How else does it come out in the wash, believe me I know.
    Maca49 likes this.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Yep... and he will be out of this job as well. The media is leaked only a little of this stuff and a whole lot more goes on behind closed doors and despite what you guys think our police are not the old NSW force or the '80's Rotorua mob and this shit gets sorted quickly these days. How else does it come out in the wash, believe me I know.
    Well, I for one think that behind closed doors is not the best way to deal with this kind of stuff. It does nothing to win the hearts of their salary paying public.
    They ( police) ask for transparency from us. Got to work both ways or trust goes down the gurgler .
    Forgotmaboltagain

The old NSW police."The best Force money could buy"
    Ryan and Tommy like this.
    Sako Rifles,Browning shotguns,Black Labs.There is nothing else

The dog always bites,The horse always kicks,The gun is always loaded.

" Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    ice cube has something to say about all this.
    Straight from the underground........

I see he might be up for a premonition