Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Weed killer

Weed killer

I have a. Lot of chip gravel around my house and the weeds are keeping me busy . I have been using round up or the cheaper mitre 10 stuff with the same ingredient but by the time the weeds are burning off the next generation is sprouting, I did try weed weapon which is supposed to be a longer term option but it ain't cheap. What do farmers use for their farm tracks, I can't remember seeing weedy tracks so it must be good shit . I want to get 4 litres so I don't want to buy a dud . I have a sprayer that can do both liquid and powder based concerntrates. Someone told me Tag is the same as weed weapon and I can get 4l of that for about 200 bucks ,which is fantastic value compared to weed weapon in 250ml bottles. What's the good stuff ?
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .

TAG g2 is what you seek.
    Terbuthylazine + Amitrole + Glyphosate + Oxyfluorfen is a very effective combo
    $ 200 / 5 L at Farmlands...PGG often special it.

read the destructions carefully and don't spray around your favourite shrubs or fruit trees!
    bigbear likes this.

Places like Farmsource have a generic version of the same thing. Bit cheaper not quite as good but still works fine. Careful with anywhere you get rain runoff, like driveways into gardens.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

+1 on the tag it's good shit

https://www.farmlands.co.nz/Online-S...ks/TagG2-1-Lt/

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You could also try DAS which is also a long term prospect. Diazinon, Amitrole Simazine. Again, be careful where you spray and where runoff goes.

permazol, hard to find but bloody magic stuff. pretty much the same stuff they use around train tracks.

I had this Sri Lankan bloke working for me who was a chemical engineer back at home and one day after reading the labels intently in the chemical lockup for a good hour or so he exclaims "I think I if you mix some Versatill with Glyphosate it will be very effective"
    Don't ask me how, as Versatill is a selective herbicide designed to control thistles etc in Maize and grass crops.
    Anyhow, we mixed up a brew and sprayed out the driveways and around the houses etc.... it was like some kind of nuclear holocaust it killed the shit out of everything it touched very quickly, the weeds etc would actually turn black and kind of "melt" away within a couple of days and nothing would return in the sprayed areas for a very long time.
    Micky Duck and csmiffy like this.
    #27GANG

Ps: or dig around in some old farm sheds and try find some paraquat..... that shit was nasty, it's no wonder its banned. I can remember back when I got my first job as a farmhand on a dairy farm near Oamaru using it to spray grass around the borderdyke dams, it just smelled like it would kill you (it would) and decimated everything it touched very quickly
    #27GANG

An effective and cheap alternative would be a combination of Metsulfuron and Glyphosate.
    The glyphosate kills most things that are green and the metsulfuron is great on many woody weeds and has good residule properties.
    Foresters use this mix to desiccate prior to planting to suppress the autumn flush of weeds prior to winter planting.
    Adding a surfactant like Boost, Pulse or Silmax will greatly improve results but is not necessary just for edges and driveways.
    Always use clean water with Glyphosate.

To be honest though, sounds like Tag g2 is the best solution. Why try and re invent the wheel.

Versatill is effective but expensive and selective to broadleaf.
    Paraquat is a contact herbicide and has zero residual knock down.

Believe it or not, Paraquat is still for sale in NZ, although the EPA is considering banning it. You need to be a certified handler to use it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Ps: or dig around in some old farm sheds and try find some paraquat..... that shit was nasty, it's no wonder its banned. I can remember back when I got my first job as a farmhand on a dairy farm near Oamaru using it to spray grass around the borderdyke dams, it just smelled like it would kill you (it would) and decimated everything it touched very quickly
    Lost a mate to Paraquat,spilt neat on his skin.although washed off,it was the cause of death.battled with acc for years before he died.
    RIP "Straw"
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

I remember my Dad using paraquat when I was a kid , he wouldn't let us near the stuff because ,as he said , it kills everything it touches
    Sorry to hear about your friend madjon , I had a good smash on my bike 10 years ago ,the cause of my injuries is undeniable but I have to continually fight to get what I'm entitled to under the acc act, I can well imagine the stress and bullshit they put him thru as he slipped away. The real tragedy of it is they (acc) have so much money lying around they are lending it to other entities and meddling in real estate instead of just putting it where it's supposed to go. I see that they have provided the victims of the shooting in CHCH with a list of all they are entitled to , when I asked for such a list ( years ago )I was told that they do not provide that information to clients and I would have to find out for myself ( yeah "clients" what a load of shit )
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .

boiling water works a treat too.....funny as heck seeing weeds turn bright green when it hits them.

Any recommendations for knocking off agapanthus

boiling water..... or salt..... maybe a combination of both LOL.