Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree405Likes

Thread: Weight and fitness

Weight and fitness

Have started jogging and power walking again as a way to reduce my weight 112kgs, that's a bit to much for this fella. I have 2 fitness tests coming up and I know that there are others on this forum who will be doing the same tests as well. The first is SARs (thanks Pengy) this involves a 10ks walk in under 3hrs carrying a pack of 15kgs, piece of piss. The next one is Rural Fire and that involves a 5k walk, no running at all, caring 24kgs. Not such a piece of piss. This is a requirement if you wish to go on deployment for DOC or Off Shore fire fighting i.e. Australia, States etc. The bonus of this will be hopefully a fitter GA for spring hunting. Over Summer I SUP board everyday normally around 5ks and I certainly know when I first start, a bit like running I guess, how the old body doesn't respond as quick as it used to. What do others do?? I know Maca walks and cycles. Your efforts?
    199p, mikee and Pengy like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

What sort of terrain do these test walks cover? Flat? Hills?
    Don't think I could run carrying 24kgs anyway...
    I tramp, hunt and MTB. I don't think it's so much what you do (all exercise is good) but how often and how long you do it.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Exercycle
    No impact on my legs ankles
    Still a wee bit sore after footy season
    Will start walking after I get my back sorted.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Rural Fire is on flat ground, Long Mile Rotorua, SARS is on uneven and there are hills I believe, haven't done a SARS one yet.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Ejected
    I'm a couple weeks into freeletics. My fat ass needs to drop weight and is already a couple kgs lighter but muscle mass is also increasing to which is nice.

You can down load it from the app store.
    BRADS likes this.

Im trying to lose a bit, beer is a prick of a fat gainer. Exercycle which doubles as knee surgery rehab. I crack up at my 3yo doing press ups and sit ups with me But man i'm a lazy bugger so it takes a bit of self motivation. This is all part of my training for the foot race with @Barefoot oh and maybe some evasive manouvers if he catches me
    jakewire and Gerbs like this.

Ejected
    Yeah that self motivation is the hard part. My drive is trying to see my abbs again before I hit 30 beginning of December
    Gibo likes this.

Ejected
    I mountain bike, but cycling fitness isn't really the same as walking fitness and it doesn't really build muscles that you need for stability. I've been considering throwing some weight in my pack and walking up and down the port hills to improve on that.

I'm in the middle of correcting a knee issue that physios couldn't help me with for years, stumbled on a YouTube video that explained my problem perfectly and why what the physios were doing wasn't helping. I can finally walk real distances, at its worst I couldn't walk 1km on a footpath.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
    I mountain bike, but cycling fitness isn't really the same as walking fitness and it doesn't really build muscles that you need for stability. I've been considering throwing some weight in my pack and walking up and down the port hills to improve on that.

I'm in the middle of correcting a knee issue that physios couldn't help me with for years, stumbled on a YouTube video that explained my problem perfectly and why what the physios were doing wasn't helping. I can finally walk real distances, at its worst I couldn't walk 1km on a footpath.
    Chuck a link up bud, there's a few here with buggered knees.

My knees and ankles are a bit poked from years of basketball and netball. Nothing like some people here though
    Gerbs likes this.

R93
    If you are physically able, try the Burpee (up downs) Challenge.

2000 in 7 days.
    You might need to work up to it as it is nearly 300 a day.

Drop down to press up position, lower until you are flat on the ground. Press up and pull your legs in close to your hands and jump/thrust up and land into a standing position.
    I do 7, run 40m then do another 7 for a set.

Have a 40 sec break between sets for the first 100 and a 1 min break for the next hundred.
    You do not have to do 300 in a session and can split it if you need to.
    I am up to 200 and pretty shagged at the end of it but that's in 30 av heat, at nite.
    Only took it on 2 weeks ago. But I am pretty sure I can do 300 so will be ready to do the full challenge next rotation at work.

Fella who put me onto it is 45 yrs old. When I first met him he was way over weight. He only does Burpees and chin ups and is now one of the most ripped middle age blokes I have seen.
    Fit as fuck. He eats like a horse as well.
    Couple that with hunting and other outdoor activities and you should be good to go.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    hilz77 likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Ejected
    I hate burpes!
    Today's workout had me doing 50 burpes 100 squats 200 sit ups 400 jumping Jack's.
    The burpes made everything else feel easy

Exercise? What's that?
    stingray, Pengy and Stickbow like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I have discovered sitting outside the caravan drinking XXXX gold is not a fitness program.
    Home in mid October so must get motivated.
    veitnamcam, Dundee and stingray like this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out." -

Throw me on the buggered knees pile too.
    I found the exercycle a good start.
    Low impact and you can easily adjust distance and increase intensity by aiming for lower times. Once I started to lose the weight and build up fitness it was an easier transition to other excercises.

I lost 25kgs last year, just cut out the shit food (pies, chips and cokes all the time), ate two thirds of what I normally would and did a bit of exercise, took 6 months.

From this

To this

The more I lost, the more I enjoyed exercise, the faster I lost weight.

Piece of piss! Keep at it, it's just self control.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."