Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Welding

ebf

Welding

Ok, so the "I want to weld but know nothing" thread...

VC/GM, the reason I said gas was from my limited research, it seems pretty flexible.

You can cut, braze and weld multiple metals ?!? Also bonus that you can use it in a farm context without needing power...

I guess most of my requirements would fall into the DIY, fix small stuff category.

Alu frames, trailer repair, farm gates & hinges etc.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

While you "can" get gas welding alloy rods the price will make you shit,and the job will be shit.
    all the above would be easy enough to get back to the shed and power(easier than dragging a gas plant out there)
    Most inverter type tig/stick welders will run off a gen but it pays to check before you buy.

You need ac tig for alloy or a mig.

You can dc tig pretty much anything with the correct filler except alloy.

You can stick weld anything(pretty much,I have real trouble getting a good earth on plastic), but rods for weird applications get real expensive.

Gas comes into its own for things like,sweating on a foresight, joining a piece of brass to a bit of cast iron(not something you do everyday) or basically joining small dissimilar metals.,quite good for warming up your steel toe caps on a cold morning too...just dont over do it
    mucko, Scouser, subs and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

+1 VC

I have a combo unit. Arc/TIG/Plasma cutter, that I will take out of the carton it has been sitting in for a few years one of these days. I mainly just use an arc welder. With carbon arc kit it gives you a 'flame' that can be used to braze and heat for bending. When it comes to cutting, since I have not unpacked the Plasma, I just use a hacksaw or occasionally one of the angle grinders or a cutoff saw.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    +1 VC

I have a combo unit. Arc/TIG/Plasma cutter, that I will take out of the carton it has been sitting in for a few years one of these days. I mainly just use an arc welder. With carbon arc kit it gives you a 'flame' that can be used to braze and heat for bending. When it comes to cutting, since I have not unpacked the Plasma, I just use a hacksaw or occasionally one of the angle grinders or a cutoff saw.
    You dont mean "arc air" do you? could be used to heat i guess on things a bit of surface damage wont matter but generally used for heavy gouging and light cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    You dont mean "arc air" do you? could be used to heat i guess on things a bit of surface damage wont matter but generally used for heavy gouging and light cutting.
    No, it is two copper coated carbon electrodes, one hooked up to each of the arc welders leads. Produces a nice clean burning 'flame'. The one I have was made in Lyttleton and I bought it 30 odd years ago and still use it. Might have to drag it out and put up a photo.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

ebf
    Let the dumb questions start....

GM, for this carbon arc kit, would that work with an inverter type stick machine, or does it need to be transformer ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

AHHH ok

Similar to this but a lot easier to use.

Ejected
    So what would be your top couple of tips for arc welding cam.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Tip#1: Open your eyes to avoid putting the lug on the wrong side of the gong.
    Toby and kiwi39 like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    wear a helmet,use two hands

You need to recocnise the weld pool and slag, immediately behind the rod should be a bright half moon. This is the weld pool, behind that the slag will be starting to cover the weld.
    If at any time you cant see the bright half moon of the weld pool you need to take drastic action to get it back or stop and chip then restart, if you cant see the weld pool you ARE getting a slag inclusion.

Setting work so you can weld slightly up hill can help beginners control the slag.
    Shootm and Savage1 like this.

wear a helmet,use two hands

You need to recocnise the weld pool and slag, immediately behind the rod should be a bright half moon. This is the weld pool, behind that the slag will be starting to cover the weld.
    If at any time you cant see the bright half moon of the weld pool you need to take drastic action to get it back or stop and chip then restart, if you cant see the weld pool you ARE getting a slag inclusion.

Setting work so you can weld slightly up hill can help beginners control the slag.
    and also drag with slag

Don't bother fucking around with gas you can pick up a cheap stick welder and a gen set and be as good as gold. Iv had to welded in some shit house back country places in ass weather and always manage to get job done. As for the alloy side of it there is a nack to it. I pride myself on being able to weld almost anything alloy but it has taken me years of experance to get to this stage. You can get stick rods to weld alloy but as mentioned in a previous post you will shit yourself at price. If it is important enough get someone handy to you to fizz it up as every piece of ally is different and now days quality of alloy products vary greatly
    My advice is get an arc welder and someone that knows what to do with a few beers and you will be away in no time
    gadgetman, ebf and heinnz like this.

Dont suck the juices!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

You can dc tig pretty much anything with the correct filler except alloy.
    number of years ago was shown Ali with DC
    We had a 140amp inverter, 4mm tungsten (can't remember if it was Thoriated or Zirconiated) torch in negative and can't remember the amperage setting but something like 40a. Short welds as Ali got pretty hot

Strata put out a lot of maintenance rods that were quite pricey

A lot of farmers have an old arc welder in the shed with damp GP rods. 2mm rods seemed to be the favorite. Weldwells 48 is good for galv

VC - if you want one of the old Strata demo kits with all the maintenance rods, I have one in the shed. Not in a hot box so unsure of the quality

GM - is that the Liquid Arc Viking STP?