Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What a dick!

What a dick!

Article from the Nelson mail paper about the Hamills Nelson store which is closing.

Wish this turkey thought about what he was saying before he said it. As stated in the title-- what a dick!!

Hunting and fishing no more in Bridge St | Stuff.co.nz

Text from above link

The rise of online shopping, combined with a lingering recession, has spelt the end of a Nelson store catering to lovers of the outdoors.

Hamills Hunting and Fishing in Bridge St will close at the end of this month, after 12 years in operation.

Owner Brady Tasker has run the store, together with his wife, for five years.

He said he was sad to be shutting the door to the shop but the time had come to move on. New earthquake regulations meant part of the building had to be closed for earthquake strengthening, so he took the opportunity to get out of the lease.

Sales had suffered due to the recession and the fact that many customers had started shopping online, he said.

It was a tough industry, with low margins even at the best of times, he said.

"We're lucky if we get $100 off a gun sale."

He would miss being able to offer help and advice to those new to hunting, tramping and fishing, a service the internet could not match.

"I'm here not just to sell them something but to teach them something. If I can help a young fella out he's going to come back.

"That's what I really enjoyed doing.

"I have had the knowledge passed on to me and I'm happy to pass it on to them. I think it's important to the community, there will be a gap [once it closes]."

The shop had attracted a wide range of customers, from those new to the sports through to competitive shooters.

He would miss the crowd of regular customers who would come in for a coffee and share stories of their latest expedition, he said.

But the shop also attracted its fair share of "ratbags" as well, from "young teenagers out to see what they can lift" to other, "dodgy-looking guys".

"Guns attract that sort of people," he said.

He was confident that he would keep busy, and was hoping to get enough time to get out for a hunt or a fish as last year he had only managed one day in the bush.

But ultimately, this would be at the discretion of his "boss" – his wife, he said.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Might have survived a bit longer if he gave you the time of day when you went in there.....
    Your milage may vary

Funny I thought it was Hamills...

Read it again does say Hamills..... not in the head line though

And yes Steve that was a bloody stupid thing to say.....Bird Brain....

No surprises there.Just BS from start to finish, pretty good insight into why hes closed down but h&f and Richmond sports still going seemingly fine.
    Rules are for the obedience of fools
    and the guidance of wise men” Sir Douglas Bader.

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    No surprises there.Just BS from start to finish, pretty good insight into why hes closed down but h&f and Richmond sports still going seemingly fine.
    +1 there. Young James is doing wonders for that richmond store. Doesnt pretend to know all about everything and will actually cut you a deal.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Here is another point of concern - one day in the bush in the last year ??

"He was confident that he would keep busy, and was hoping to get enough time to get out for a hunt or a fish as last year he had only managed one day in the bush.

But ultimately, this would be at the discretion of his "boss" – his wife, he said. "

And the worst thing of all - at the discretionof the boss ?? WTF ? Be a man ......

Quote Originally Posted by nathan f View Post
    here is another point of concern - one day in the bush in the last year ??

"he was confident that he would keep busy, and was hoping to get enough time to get out for a hunt or a fish as last year he had only managed one day in the bush.

But ultimately, this would be at the discretion of his "boss" – his wife, he said. "

and the worst thing of all - at the discretionof the boss ?? Wtf ? Be a man ......
    :d:d:d
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.