Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: what does everyone have against trade me?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    otago
    Posts
    90

    what does everyone have against trade me?

    So lately I've heard and read a fair few people complain about trade me, and not just on this forum. So it got me wondering why do people seem to dislike it so much?

    Personally, I've sold a few things on it and bought a few and in my experience I've never had a problem with it. One of the biggest issues people seem to have with it seems to be fees. In my opinion, which I know not everyone will agree with, is that I don't have an issue with the fees. If I want to sell something, I put a photo on trade me and it's advertised to the whole country for not a lot of money and if it sells, they take a small fee. Basically the same as any auction site on the internet or auction house in the real world. I know the fees have gone up in the past few years but so has the cost of just about everything.

    To put it in context, I sold a car recently through trade me, I advertised for $12k, and it sold. The advert cost me $80. I can't complain with paying that much for an advert that all of NZ can see, which contained numerous photos. You can't get that coverage in your local paper. And yet when i told a mate about this, his words were "that's a fecking rip off, trade me should be free for everything". Now this mate is a plumber and when I put it to him that by his reasoning all his services should be free he needless to say hit the roof. So why do people think that a business should give all it's services away for nothing?

    As i said this seems to be what I have experienced but would be interested to hear others opinions as to why other people think trade me is so bad

  2. #2
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    21,280
    Wait till you have an issue buying or selling and have to use customer "support"
    mikee, northdude, grunzter and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Christchuch New Zealand
    Posts
    3,797
    Primary complaint seems to be about two things

    Them gaining access to the private data of F/A license owners when it potentially opens up risk of security for those owners if trademe was hacked or leaked (Thats the fear- whether it is legitimate or not, that is where the debate is)

    And their service and fees.

    You mention $80 for a $12k car, but what about a $1000 rifle? Fee is $79. Plus another $19.50 if the buyer uses a credit card. That means for me to sell a rifle for $1000 trade me will take 98.50 of that $1000.

    I went to sell an outboard for a mate on my personal account. The motor buy itself was $7000, (Fees were to be $249), but if he sold a boat worth $10,000 and with the same motor the fee was $99.00. Needless to say he found another way to sell it.

    Finally there is an expected level of competence when dealing with categories and Trade me fails in the firearm category. One example would be 10 round 303 magazines. These cannot be listed due to E cat regulations, but no one there seems interested in the fact the 303 10 round mags are for Bolt action guns and most of those are WW2 or earlier. Most of these issues come from situations someone has experienced a problem and where Trade me staff have handled the situation / resolution poorly.

    And finally, can you find me ANY other business that charges by the minute to talk to a customer representative for a complaint or query? Even Vodafone with its huge waiting times is better than that.

    As a small firearms business, and due to the issues we have with their policy, as well as the way they are addressing it, we have decided that for the meantime we will not be dealing with them at all. We may return later, but at the moment, we would rather not sell something than sell it on their site. In the meantime our only online profile is on here. (and even that is pretty low key.)

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Napier
    Posts
    859
    That's a lovely story...now try selling a rifle for $1,000 and take the 7.9% reaming that comes with it: $79 for a $1,000 sale?
    Now also remember that Trademe need sellers - they are a middleman and should be looking after sellers: it's how they make their money.... yet they have a survey looking for how to help users and a result of that survey is that "fees are too complicated" ...solution: f$^% the seller and implement a single, higher success fee.
    Trademe are a pack of wankers since selling out to Fairfax. Sure they have some redeeming features - all monopolies do.... wax lyrical all you want about how good they are.... they are reaming sellers when they should be looking after them.
    mikee and Feral like this.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    .
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    So lately I've heard and read a fair few people complain about trade me, and not just on this forum. So it got me wondering why do people seem to dislike it so much?

    Personally, I've sold a few things on it and bought a few and in my experience I've never had a problem with it. One of the biggest issues people seem to have with it seems to be fees. In my opinion, which I know not everyone will agree with, is that I don't have an issue with the fees. If I want to sell something, I put a photo on trade me and it's advertised to the whole country for not a lot of money and if it sells, they take a small fee. Basically the same as any auction site on the internet or auction house in the real world. I know the fees have gone up in the past few years but so has the cost of just about everything.

    To put it in context, I sold a car recently through trade me, I advertised for $12k, and it sold. The advert cost me $80. I can't complain with paying that much for an advert that all of NZ can see, which contained numerous photos. You can't get that coverage in your local paper. And yet when i told a mate about this, his words were "that's a fecking rip off, trade me should be free for everything". Now this mate is a plumber and when I put it to him that by his reasoning all his services should be free he needless to say hit the roof. So why do people think that a business should give all it's services away for nothing?

    As i said this seems to be what I have experienced but would be interested to hear others opinions as to why other people think trade me is so bad
    Car fees are different, I sold something recently for $1500 and paid $124 in fees after already paying to list it, so yeah in that sense it is a rip off

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    The ranges
    Posts
    45
    Success fees of $250 to sell some range finding binoculars at $3200 recently , that's robbery . No ones disputing trademes exposure but the fees have steadily increased to the point where any other avenue is preferable
    veitnamcam, 308, Beaker and 4 others like this.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Napier
    Posts
    859
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Wait till you have an issue buying or selling and have to use customer "support"
    Oh yeah - customer service: how many businesses do you know that charge you $1.99 per minute, to talk to a useless customer service representative....
    How many businesses do you know, who will pull an advertisement which complies completely with the law, (and with their own shitty policy) but some holier than thou administrator thinks you are breaking the rules - think 10 shot 303 auctions - or any other bolt action auction where there are scary features....
    How many intermediaries are so afraid of being cut out of a commission (despite already taking a listing fee) that they won't allow contact between buyer and seller before sale completion.... regardless of the potential discontent of buying a high value item, sight unseen....
    Trademe deserves their bad rap - act like a prick of a business, you will have the reputation of a prick of a business. Their only saving grace is an effective monopoly - hard for a contender to gain critical mass to take on a business this size in a market as small as NZ....
    veitnamcam, 308, Beaker and 2 others like this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    otago
    Posts
    90
    Ok so i can see why people have an issue with it, as I said just giving my opinion, I understand that the fees can be a pain in the arse and by the sounds of things there is not a common system for the fees. So my next question is why do people continue to use it?

  9. #9
    Member Steve123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Rotorua
    Posts
    2,382
    But Trade me rifles are great. Even the mil-surp ones have fired les than 20 rounds. Hell Trade me makes an $1100 T3 worth $2500.
    Pointer, stingray, mikee and 1 others like this.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Napier
    Posts
    859
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    Ok so i can see why people have an issue with it, as I said just giving my opinion, I understand that the fees can be a pain in the arse and by the sounds of things there is not a common system for the fees. So my next question is why do people continue to use it?
    As stated: monopoly....

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    Ok so i can see why people have an issue with it, as I said just giving my opinion, I understand that the fees can be a pain in the arse and by the sounds of things there is not a common system for the fees. So my next question is why do people continue to use it?
    I haven't, (never sold / brought on trademe - in part was overseas for a few years and missed the uprising, then when back didnt see the benefit, and now certainly dont see any benefit to me )and won't.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

  12. #12
    Member GravelBen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gorrre
    Posts
    3,280
    Trademe fees used to be quite reasonable, once upon on a time. Those of us who have been using it long-term have seen service get steadily worse while fees steadily increase, simply because they haven't had any competition.

    I presume commercial traders get better deals on fees, because some categories are so flooded with low-quality imported trader listings that you struggle to find anything you're actually looking for.
    Beaker and Steve123 like this.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    .
    Posts
    1,927
    There are bargains to be had on trade me though, that's why I keep using it.
    stingray, rossi.45 and bigred like this.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Christchuch New Zealand
    Posts
    3,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    That's a lovely story...now try selling a rifle for $1,000 and take the 7.9% reaming that comes with it: $79 for a $1,000 sale?
    Now also remember that Trademe need sellers - they are a middleman and should be looking after sellers: it's how they make their money.... yet they have a survey looking for how to help users and a result of that survey is that "fees are too complicated" ...solution: f$^% the seller and implement a single, higher success fee.
    Trademe are a pack of wankers since selling out to Fairfax. Sure they have some redeeming features - all monopolies do.... wax lyrical all you want about how good they are.... they are reaming sellers when they should be looking after them.
    That is pretty much what I was getting at. I dont mind paying for a service that is provided. And they do provide popular coverage, but their structure is not equally shared. Some pay more than others. I cannot sell a rifle and lose 10% of the sale to what is really an advertising medium. That becomes unaffordable and if our margins were big enough to handle that sort of rake, then I would rather lower our price and not bother with the expense which is exactly what we have decided to do for the short term at least. With the pace with which we sell rifles (Average rifle is relisted approx 7 times to sell) then we can add another 55c x7 ($3.85) as listing costs.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Christchuch New Zealand
    Posts
    3,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    There are bargains to be had on trade me though, that's why I keep using it.
    Yeah but they are hidden amongst the thousands of listings of dross and rubbish. How many drop shipping companies are using trade me to by pass the cosumer law? Take a few "english" companies that sell tools. No way they can ship ex england in two weeks. It is coming straight from china (Think aliexpress) and they have an email and postal address and bank account in England to make it seem legit. Bollocks. They ship it on the cheap from china and if you have problem well call the England office and posy it back....Yeah F__k Off right there....

    Check out these ones...

    https://www.trademe.co.nz/stores/buysend
    32000 listings....

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Swap: or part trade 444
    By Boar Freak in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2016, 12:58 PM
  2. FS: Another trade me winner....
    By Cartman in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 21-06-2016, 03:49 AM
  3. WTB or trade
    By sakkaranz in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-08-2014, 12:31 PM
  4. Trade-me
    By Pengy in forum Off topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 18-01-2014, 01:11 PM
  5. WTB / Trade 303 ammo
    By specweapon in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-11-2013, 06:17 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!