Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: What the F is up with the bloody waxeye's ATM??????

What the F is up with the bloody waxeye's ATM??????

The bloody waxeyes are really getting up my wick at the moment, if they keep acting like they are my cat is going to literally explode. They must be the lemmings of the bird world...

I watched one land about 200mm in front of the cat's nose, the cat was sitting out in the open sunning itself and this pisspoor excuse for a bird just committed feathered suicide - boom. The cat didn't even have to move the other 3 paws!

I'm having to boot about 3-5 out of the house each day, they are so dopey and slow you just pick them up. The cat is so over chasing them he's near on bringing them in and putting them straight into my hand (here Dad, this one's for you plah cough cough). And the bloody feathers, bones and blood - the yard looks like a mini axe murderer's convention...

I've never seen it this bad for them, it's like they've decided to become cat lollies as a career choice!
    nzfubz, Angus_A, Beaker and 1 others like this.

Bit of rotting fruit around? They probably pissed.... It happens this time of year...
    P38, veitnamcam, Angus_A and 4 others like this.

Would rotting avo's do that? Otherwise unlikely as most of the fruit has been long since picked or on the deck. Can't think of anywhere else they would be getting fruit from, not in the local area 1000m either side sort of thing. The numbers of them bouncing around the mulch gardens would make me think they are struggling to find enough grub elsewhere like in the sky or up trees. Probably nailing insects or somesuch, but they really do need to work on their H&S plans.
    Gibo, Biggun708 and Awaian like this.

Try putting a tub of dripping out for them that will perk them up they love it. Just put it up high so the cat can't reach them.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermastor View Post
    Try putting a tub of dripping out for them that will perk them up they love it. Just put it up high so the cat can't reach them.
    Sugar syrup feeders are bird magnets too
    EeeBees likes this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

Feed more to the cat he'll end up to drunk to chat he any more will the spew and swear I'll never eat another waxeye. Happened to me on Zambucka

mutton fat off a roast or feed of chops poured into tin and stuck in convenient branch of tree etc will keep them busy ,they cold and hungry...

I had some fly into my garage yesterday as i opened it, thought it was a bit strange

Ring Maggie
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Ouch

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Always have heaps at my place this time of year, I feed them up well. Little buggers have just about cleaned this up in a couple of days.

Name:  Waxeyes.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  421.8 KB

They normally come a few days before shit weather. Apparently.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Tried the mutton in a sock in the tree lark, they prefer suicide by cat. Getting good at catching them by hand though. Probably saving us a fortune in cat food, offsets the running of the vacuum cleaner sucking up F****G feathers!

at the price of cat food you probably on a winner

The folks have a pohutukawa tree on patio, sitting having a coffee the other day and there was a mighty bang on the window next to me, looked out and theres a dead waxeye on the coffee table. Bloody tuis chase them from the tree and they go straight into window. Apparantly a few minutes later they stand up, shake themselves off and be on their way. This poor fecker was brown bread though.