Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 3 Post By 308
  • 4 Post By stretch
  • 1 Post By gonetropo

Thread: What makes a Semi Automatic Military Style?

What makes a Semi Automatic Military Style?

Unsure how to remove post, found the answer. But since you guys are reading this already, follow up question:

Whats stopping me from buying a Ruger 10/22 and then going to a gun shop and buying a 25 round magazine for a "Ruger Rimfire" which fits the 10/22? Don't I need E cat licence to fire 10/22 with more than 15 round.
    Last edited by TheChosenOne; 12-01-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Unsure how to remove post, found the answer. But since you guys are reading this already, follow up question:

Whats stopping me from buying a Ruger 10/22 and then going to a gun shop and buying a 25 round magazine for a "Ruger Rimfire" which fits the 10/22? Don't I need E cat licence to fire 10/22 with more than 15 round.
    same thing thats stopping me from buying an A-cat ar15 and removing the thumbhole stock for something else...
    tetawa likes this.

Short answer - nothing

Long answer - If you get caught using an A-cat as an E-cat then you may lose your license and face prosecution

Real answer - welcome to our stupid law system, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense
    Knoxy_09, 223nut and TheChosenOne like this.

Your fit and properness is all that is stopping you.
    tetawa, mikee, Gerbs and 1 others like this.

Like all laws its an honesty system, unfortunatly in this case its a stupid one

having tried most of the hi-cap 10/22 mags they are all unreliable in the long term, best just to own extra 10 round rotary mags. you can buy adapters that let you join 3 or 4 together if you need to "go rambo"
    308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    having tried most of the hi-cap 10/22 mags they are all unreliable in the long term, best just to own extra 10 round rotary mags. you can buy adapters that let you join 3 or 4 together if you need to "go rambo"
    And apparently a set up like this doesn't constitute an E cat as max mag capacity is still 10. Also I believe the fitting of a high cap banana mag to a 10-22 renders it an E cat and in the eyes of the law that is it. Changing back to a 10 shot doesn’t make it back into an A cat.

In most cases who's to know. Interestingly I saw a 10-22 on TardMe a year or so ago which included the tacticool banana mag - TM never picked up on it but seemingly apply other ridiculous interpretations of theirs to some listings.
    Last edited by zimmer; 13-01-2017 at 08:20 AM.