Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20Likes
  • 1 Post By sako75
  • 2 Post By widerange
  • 10 Post By sightpicture
  • 1 Post By Mauser308
  • 1 Post By sightpicture
  • 4 Post By Beetroot
  • 1 Post By Daithi

Thread: What a shocker... Guess life is cheap!

What a shocker... Guess life is cheap!

https://www.sunlive.co.nz/news/21363...-too-slow.html

Yet, at least we have approx. $2 billion to flog on robbing guns from shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    https://www.sunlive.co.nz/news/21363...-too-slow.html

Yet, at least we have approx. $2 billion to flog on robbing guns from shooters.
    But it's not 2 billion. They'll shaft us instead

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk

They have more urgent matters to attend like gun control
    sightpicture likes this.

I don't think motorcyclists are so enthusiastic about those cheese cutter median barriers.
    I suppose we can ban them(motorcycles) too
    bully and xtightg like this.

As a motorcycle rider I'd still rather funds went to cancer treatment before median or other-style barriers. The lack of modern oncology treatments nationally available to a standard that does not equate to post-code lottery-style luck is simply a fucking disgrace; people are having to raise their own money to stay alive. A plague on all political parties' houses.
    tetawa, rugerman, erniec and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sightpicture View Post
    As a motorcycle rider I'd still rather funds went to cancer treatment before median or other-style barriers. The lack of modern oncology treatments nationally available to a standard that does not equate to post-code lottery-style luck is simply a fucking disgrace; people are having to raise their own money to stay alive. A plague on all political parties' houses.
    Having dealt with the results of a head-on truck vs MPV (people mover) my vote is with the barriers (very effective and cheap way to save a massive amount of trauma that is sucking up health resources that could go to cancer treatment), and motorcyclists can slow the fu*k down and ride defensively to give themselves a chance. After all, it might just stop an errant cage from crossing the center line or u-turning in front of them and taking them out.
    chainsaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Having dealt with the results of a head-on truck vs MPV (people mover) my vote is with the barriers (very effective and cheap way to save a massive amount of trauma that is sucking up health resources that could go to cancer treatment), and motorcyclists can slow the fu*k down and ride defensively to give themselves a chance. After all, it might just stop an errant cage from crossing the center line or u-turning in front of them and taking them out.
    I'm with you on the benefits of median barriers, But in terms of priority, I'd still put cancer treatment first.

Of course, if the logic-deficient Beehive-infesting pond-dregs spending the taxpayers' monies on idiot pet projects while simultaneously ruining forex opportunities by sabotaging everything from the oil and gas industry to revenue from farming, would just put the country's interests ahead of their kindergarten-level ambitions, we could afford both (and more than both) - but yeah, nah, that won't happen.
    Mauser308 likes this.

Issue with median barriers is most of our roads are only single lane, there are bugger all dual carriage ways outside of the main centres. That and half our roads hardly have a verge as it is, so taking up space in the middle would not work too well.
    Median barriers will mean a huge amount of money being spent too widen roads and force the creation of more passing lanes and dual carriage ways, which I personally believe is unnecessary. Sure our roads are generally pretty crappy, but I don't believe they are the route cause of our crashes.

I don't think you can dumb it down to one issue either, it's not speeding or slow drivers or impatience or ignorance or bad roads, it's like our driving culture needs a full reset as the average road user is a just flat out a shocking driver.
    I drive a fair bit and have driven overseas in multiple different countries and feel like the average NZ driver just doesn't have an overall appreciation of what they are doing and what is required of them, it's almost like the think they are the only driver on the road and drive accordingly.

The issues I see frequently are:
    -Not knowing the road rules
    -Drifting over the centre line (usually slow drivers)
    -Driving too slowly
    -Driving in the wrong lane (oblivious to all the cars passing on the inside)
    -Slow vehicles speeding up as they don't want to be over taken
    -Slow vehicles not thinking ahead and allow other road users to pass
    -Not keeping left unless passing
    -On the motorway, two cars driving next too each other for minutes (like 5-10 minutes)
    -Not being able to maintain a constant speed
    -Not planning lane changes in advance
    -Not indicating or making your intended route obvious
    -Not knowing how to use a roundabout
    -General distractions
    -Following distances
    -Dangerous overtaking
    -Not over taking
    -Not over taking and not allowing room in front for vehicles behind who do want to overtake
    -Taking too long at intersections
    -Driving too slow allow people to not be able to plan their maneuvers at intersections
    -Not indicating until the last second at an intersection (when indicating 5-10 seconds early would've allowed other vehicles a chance to go)

And probably many more.

It's like we need to have a huge culture shift and folk to wake up (hate that saying) to what they are doing, and need to stop driving like we are on a tiny island of only 2000 people.
    I've driven a lot in the UK, and if Kiwis drove like the do here in there, they'd probably have a mental breakdown as their roads require you too have a level of forward planning and general attentiveness that 99% of Kiwi drivers just do not have.

They've spent months and who bloody knows how many dollars putting these stupid cheese grater things along the EDGE of the road on the STRAIGHTS leading into Waihi(from Katikati side). Fuck knows why. If someones going to run off the road and kill themselves, leave them be, far better to have a barrier down middle of road to avoid them running into oncoming traffic. Straight road for fucks sake. Money would be better spent engaging bulldozers to sort out the road between Katikati and Tauranga, just bloody straighten it out and widen it.
    Beetroot likes this.

Dunno about the benefits of wire barriers on the left hand side of the road - that just turns you sideways and chucks your drivers side into oncoming traffic...

its a total waste of our tax $$ .... you all should be riding bicycles and the $ spent on more cycle lanes. hahaha NOT !!!
    But you bet your bottom $ that the Greenie's (watermelons) will be pushing shit like that