Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What's the deal with renting?

What's the deal with renting?

I might have to move out of my grand dad's place which is where I have the security stuff right now. Mum thinks I'll have trouble with flat mates and land lords agreeing to having firearms stored in the flat and so is willing to get licensed so I can store the any rifles i end up getting at theirs. The problem is that they live in the middle of the Waikato. Which isn't very convenient.

Has anyone had any trouble with this or finding a flat or am I pretty much stuffed if some one doesn't like firearms?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    I might have to move out of my grand dad's place which is where I have the security stuff right now. Mum thinks I'll have trouble with flat mates and land lords agreeing to having firearms stored in the flat and so is willing to get licensed so I can store the any rifles i end up getting at theirs. The problem is that they live in the middle of the Waikato. Which isn't very convenient.

Has anyone had any trouble with this or finding a flat or am I pretty much stuffed if some one doesn't like firearms?

Thanks in advance
    I haven't had any issues with flatmates disliking firearms. My shit is locked up tight, vet the flatties hard. Where in NZ do you live?
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

What's the deal with renting?

Correct me if I am wrong here blokes, but if your mother doesn't have access to your safe and it's properly installed you can still keep them at her place if she is not licenced I believe?

Otherwise my wife would be in trouble every time I go away for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, mikee, screamO and 1 others like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I'm assuming that you're in the 'capital of the Waikato', and looking for something close by.
    Lots of GC's on the site - if they know where you are and how many/what sort they'd be looking at helping you with - temporary accommodations for your firearms could be right next door.

It is going to be pretty hard to find a gun friendly place.
    My suggestion is that you find a whole house that you start renting on your own , and then you find and manage the appropriate flat mates that will live with you. As you were there first with your gun safe they have nothing to say. I also suggest that you avoid having boy racers, drug addict and party animals as flat mate at your place but it is up to you to sort that out.
    That plan involves you having a bit of cash in advance to cover the initial costs.
    Tommy and bigbear like this.

I've been moving around with my firearms over the last 8 months or so without any hiccups (both in Urban and rural areas - in saying that, Southland is abound with firearms so they're generally seen as acceptable by most people.

I've got an easily maneuverable A cat safe with me which I just bolt down in a wardrobe or place flat on the floor and bolt it through the carpet. Easy. Whenever I have an AO come over for an inspection, I'll make it clear to them that I'm only at a specific flat temporarily (I've been moving around quite a bit) and so they've been pretty understanding.

If anything, owning an A cat cabinet while you're flatting is quite handy as a general secure area to store valuables.

If you've got E cat firearms, or if you do not want to store your guns at the flat you're staying at for whatever reason, try and find another gun owner in the area to look after them for you. I've had a chat with the Police about this -- it's completely fine.

As for finding an ideal flat - it just comes down to common sense. Firearms or no firearms, I try and avoid living with f*ckwits. Generally, if you come across as a tidy, responsible person, other such people will be more inclined to help you out.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Frodo; 05-06-2017 at 04:52 PM.
    kiwijames, Ryan and Tommy like this.

Never had any issues, don't make a big deal about it.

Out of sight out of mind

The only issue is securing your safe properly as you can't exactly screw into the landlords wall. Bolt safe to the floor is usually easiest depending on floor coverings, put the safe in the wardrobe out of sight

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I haven't had any issues with flatmates disliking firearms. My shit is locked up tight, vet the flatties hard. Where in NZ do you live?
    Dork land.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong here blokes, but if your mother doesn't have access to your safe and it's properly installed you can still keep them at her place if she is not licenced I believe?

Otherwise my wife would be in trouble every time I go away for work.

I asked the arms officer when I first applied as I was originally going to have the firearms at mum and dad's house and he said that one would need to be licensed regardless of whether or not they had access to it.

I have a couple of mates who have firearms so I could always ask them too store them at their house.

I will download the arms act but I don't need to tell my flat mates only the land lord right. I was hoping I could just drill into into a stud and then get a plasterer mate to fill it up when I leave.
    Spudattack likes this.

Well hey if you need a flatmate...
    "A party without cake is just a meeting" - Juila Child

Legally you must have the means to store firearms at the address in which you reside, regardless of if you intend to have arms there.

I had issues with flatmates in Wellington. I didn't end up buying a gun before moving away from those hippies anyway but still had a lock on a wardrobe which was suffice for the arms officer.

As said above, don't make a big deal of it. Cut an X in the carpet where you want to bolt down and most people won't even notice when you've gone.

Good luck, flatting sucks. As does Auckland. My ultimate advice; move away. Ha ha ha.

gadgetman, EeeBees, mikee and 2 others like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Legally you must have the means to store firearms at the address in which you reside, regardless of if you intend to have arms there.

I had issues with flatmates in Wellington. I didn't end up buying a gun before moving away from those hippies anyway but still had a lock on a wardrobe which was suffice for the arms officer.

As said above, don't make a big deal of it. Cut an X in the carpet where you want to bolt down and most people won't even notice when you've gone.

Good luck, flatting sucks. As does Auckland. My ultimate advice; move away. Ha ha ha.

Pretty much what she said. Have rented two properties one being a flat, the other being an apartment. Might I say, You should tell your landlord you have a gun safe! but if you're like me, plaster and a quick touch up of paint is your best friend and they don't ever realise there was any holes.

hand your guns in. they are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus_A View Post
    Well hey if you need a flatmate...
    We just filled our last room sorry. We will have a room free in September which is a bit of a way away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post

Was your next flat firearm friendly or did you manage to rent a place yourself?

I have 3 years of my apprenticeship left and the company may fund my diploma too so it looks like I'll be stuck here for 6 more years. Fun times.

Taupo is looking very attractive with all the doc land about though haha.

I'm less than an hour away if you wanted to store here.

Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I'm less than an hour away if you wanted to store here.

Thanks for the offer. I will definitely hit you up if I need a place to store any firearms I buy.