Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hotbarrels

Thread: whats a good sharpener

whats a good sharpener

whats a good sharpener to use on my wilthsire stainless kitchen knives i use to use the sharpener thats built into the knife block but i think its worn out stainless is a prick to sharpen

I use a diamond steel for mine

Throw away the sharpener, with the knife in it!

Buy yourself something decent like a Wusthof Grand Prix II https://www.knifecenter.com/item/WU9...ce-Starter-Set
    Excellent knife for the money.
    Pointer likes this.

Oilstone then finish with a steel will work but you've got to keep sharpening those things so regularly giving them a steel is a start

the angle will be something horid by now....probably about 45 degrees....there are nifty bench mounted systems that work on same principle as the one inside the case....red about 2" across with notch in top from memory...
    the lansky rods in wooden holder work awesome on stainless.

SiB
    Slow and steady as you sharpen. It won’t come right with just a few flicks. Be patient and consistent in your technique and do use lube (water, oil, even detergent can do) of some sort appropriate to the stone you’re using.

I'm a big fan of the scary sharp system as it provides a constant angle and has my knives wickedly sharp.
    I did however get some smaller stones and use detergent and water solution for lubrication.

Your Wiltshier knives won't have great steel so won't hold an edge for very long. I'm not a fan of a steel instead prefer to strop over news paper however I am predominantly using Japanese knives so slightly different.

+1 for actually getting good quality knives, far easier to get and hold the edge.

Wustoff are great workhorses however you kneed to handle the knife to know what suits your hands and style. You also need to consider what are you using the knives for?
    I wouldn't dare use a Japanese knife on something like pumpkin or bones, it would chip- upshot is once it has an edge you could do surgery. I have a heavier, softer blade for the hard boney stuff.

If your passing Hamilton way give me a shout and bring your knives- will put an edge back on them.

Oh and bin the sharpening system when you put your knife in and pull out- it's just chipping the blade.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.