Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: What's life like in Invercargill?

What's life like in Invercargill?

There might be a job for the Mrs way down south what she really want's. I never been down there ,don't know anything about the region.
    So what are the better areas (rural, wouldn't live in town again), job opportunities in farming ?
    More important what's the hunting like?

Thanks BF
    mrs dundee likes this.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

SiB
    I came down six years ago. Love it. Fiordland, queenstown, Stewart island they're all on your back step

Folks are friendly

Longwood nearest public hunting forest can be good. They're in there! Spotlighting an issue but police are proactive. Lycra clad mountain bikers starting to infest the lower roads though.

Housing is affordable, and the weather? Depends on what you do where, but I prefer this to humid heat of latte country

PM me if you want specific details re area. What's your line of work?

Arguably the best hunting in NZ.

The weather puts most people off.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

As above. Weather isn't too bad. Just drizzly. Not to bad, just wear more fleese. Great hunting

Hunting = great. Weather = crud. Rural property pretty pricey if you want land. Due to how fast the grass grows and cows eating it.
    Plenty of farm jobs..

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
    mrs dundee likes this.

I moved back late October 2015 after 30+ years in the US and have been enjoying life so far. The people are friendly, weather as you would expect for a coastal area at this latitude, and plenty of hunting areas close to Invercargill.

SiB - my mate's Dad is one of those Lycra clad mountain bikers you will see around Bald Hill - amazing how many deer he has reported seeing !
    In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when conserved by the sportsman. The excellent people who protest against all hunting, and consider sportsmen as enemies of wildlife are wholly ignorant of the fact that in reality the genuine sportsman is by all odds the most important factor in keeping wild creatures from total extinction.
    Theodore Roosevelt

The biggest adjustment for a North Islander will be the weather some years they only get three seasons Autumn, Winter & Spring.
    If you like endless frost's it the place to be.
    Costly air travel
    That's all the negatives.
    Our family spent 7yrs in CH-CH the weather become the catalyst for a move back North can't beat a BOP summer
    Maca49 likes this.

I have a mate down there. He has been there for a few years now. He is a pig hunter. Asked him what he noticed most. Well he said there are really attractive women who go around in mini skirts and it is effing freezing and he is rugged up in thermals.
    gadgetman likes this.

Is there a descent shooting range down there to sight in your guns?

I lived there 10 years ago for about a month and a half at a similar period as now. The nights were cold , lucky I had a hot local lass in my bed to keep me warm!

Invervegas itself is a dump, heaps of empty shops in the middle of town but..... Fiorland, catlins hokonuis an hour away, qtown and dunners a bit over 2.

Pm if your wanting more details or if u jump the ditch, I can put you onto some good white tail spots

Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully she can secure the job I am more and more interested about the south. Thanks again.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

I lived there when I was in my 20's for 6 yrs, loved the place, fiordland & Stewart Island on your door step, friendly folk, cheap living back then.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Life - Invercargill, bit of and oxymoron there isn't it? I've stayed there a few times and love the place. I'd move in a heartbeat if the rest of the crew would let me.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Is there a descent shooting range down there to sight in your guns?

I lived there 10 years ago for about a month and a half at a similar period as now. The nights were cold , lucky I had a hot local lass in my bed to keep me warm!
    And the local girls are desperate! That's gotta be a plus!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

This thread is great for those of us who have never been there
    ll I know is that it has really wide streets
    Last edited by 308; 06-04-2016 at 07:48 AM. Reason: sp