Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Where are the workers?

Ejected

Where are the workers?

Not in Central Otago, EVERYONE I talk to can't get people and they are all willing to pay good $$$
    Everyone is so far behind it's not funny, and that goes for rabbiters

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    It is certainly a growing problem Wirehunt and I am not sure that immigration alone will solve the problem. Other initiatives like having to do community work while collecting the dole would help but no one thing is the be all and end all solution.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

SiB
    How about this;

I've had fifteen kiwis they the door Enquiry H about casual work for the coming season. "Email me your CV" says me each time. Not one has come through

That's my take on kiwi so called job hunters.

We use travelers. Awesome workers. And drug free too!
    Pengy, Ryan_Songhurst and chindit like this.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to the Mainland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    It is certainly a growing problem Wirehunt and I am not sure that immigration alone will solve the problem. Other initiatives like having to do community work while collecting the dole would help but no one thing is the be all and end all solution.
    Great idea, Rushy, but with H&S these days, you need certification to be able to use a pair of scissors !
    Back in the day, they had the PEP schemes. ( Pathways to Employment Program )
    OSH would kill that extremely sensible idea these days.
    Wirehunt and veitnamcam like this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogfeatures View Post
    Great idea, Rushy, but with H&S these days, you need certification to be able to use a pair of scissors !
    Back in the day, they had the PEP schemes. ( Pathways to Employment Program )
    OSH would kill that extremely sensible idea these days.
    Frogfeatures, being the completely non politically correct individual that I am, I don't see the problem. Dude on dole does dumb deed and dies = one less dumb dude on dole for tax payers to support + job creation for undertaker. Win, win from where I stand.
    P38, GWH, Beaker and 10 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

res
    Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    How about this;

I've had fifteen kiwis they the door Enquiry H about casual work for the coming season. "Email me your CV" says me each time. Not one has come through
    But those fifteen had enough info to full in the form to prove they were looking for work with winz.
    Very sad, but when I was running retail stores it got to the point that someone who was out of work needed a very good story to be offered an interview as I lost track of those who showed up but seemed to be trying to not get the job. The formula seemed to be that they needed to apply at x number of places and interviews where gold stars.
    Really annoying as there are some very motivated people out of work but filtering them from the shit can be time consuming and if your short staffed you probably can't justify that time
    veitnamcam and timattalon like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Is the work quite seasonal? Ie, a person that lives in NZ isn't going to up sticks and move to CO for 6 months work, only to have to bugger off and find something else to do for 6 months when it's all dried up. For a working holiday type, it's be just the ticket though.

I know jack shit about that island of course, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
    veitnamcam and rossi.45 like this.

What do you call "good money" Wirehunt
    veitnamcam, Munsey, BRADS and 1 others like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

It's tough getting the right people at the moment.
    I have a vacancy and have it listed on Seek, it's amazing the number of CV's coming thru which are totally not the job they are looking for. They can't even read what we are after, it's as if the PC is just spitting out applications for the hell of it.
    Also about to look for a class 5 truck driver which will be interesting, a mate of mine only employees Indians and reckons they are the best workers and run rings around everyone else. Just don't quite know how to word the add without being taken to the Human Rights Commission. Maybe I should include the words like has to also teach the odd Indian cooking lesson.
    Carpe Diem likes this.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Not in Central Otago, EVERYONE I talk to can't get people and they are all willing to pay good $$$
    Everyone is so far behind it's not funny, and that goes for rabbiters
    What is involved in being a rabbiter?

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    What is involved in being a rabbiter?
    Sharp teeth and the ability to run extremely fast.
    P38, Wirehunt, veitnamcam and 10 others like this.

SiB
    I don't give any forms to fill out unless they make it past sending their CV and being invited to interview. I've done my dash of unemployed and their petty dramas
    JoshC and mikee like this.

I get heaps of seek applications with no cover letter or cv, basically so the can get the notification from seek to say they have applied and they can show winz that they are looking but there is no work.

Absolute bullshit, oh well, nothing will change so no point in getting worked up, fishing and hunting, fishing and drinking and hunting.....

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    It's tough getting the right people at the moment.
    I have a vacancy and have it listed on Seek, it's amazing the number of CV's coming thru which are totally not the job they are looking for. They can't even read what we are after, it's as if the PC is just spitting out applications for the hell of it.
    Also about to look for a class 5 truck driver which will be interesting, a mate of mine only employees Indians and reckons they are the best workers and run rings around everyone else. Just don't quite know how to word the add without being taken to the Human Rights Commission. Maybe I should include the words like has to also teach the odd Indian cooking lesson.
    Unfortunately a lot of what some people call "good pay" will not pay for an independent life in NZ, so i guess a lot of people just choose to stay on the doll. Or they went to Australia and haven't made enough money to come back.

This is how many of the new people do it:
    Auckland house prices not only the bane of buyers - renters suffer too | Stuff.co.nz

I doubt many forum members would accept this type of living long term but there you have it.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to the Mainland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Frogfeatures, being the completely non politically correct individual that I am, I don't see the problem. Dude on dole does dumb deed and dies = one less dumb dude on dole for tax payers to support + job creation for undertaker. Win, win from where I stand.
    That works for me, too.
    And I wouldn't have to listen about how they came from broken homes, and that they've been traumatised since mum took their teddy bear off them, when they were 6, and consequently cannot possibly work due to the deeply hidden trauma.
    OK, I'm going back to the rocking chair, on the porch.
    puku, mikee and blake like this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !