Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Who had kiwi near by?

Who has kiwi near by?

I'm sitting on my couch listening to a male kiwi continually calling for a mate from the paddock next to my house and wondered how many others have actually seen or heard them in the wild.
    Before moving to whangarei heads where they are so plentiful there are nearly more hit on the road than possums I had never heard or seen one before in my 30 odd years of existence.
    So how many of you have regular encounters?

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

R93
    I leave in the am to drive both too and from chch airport for work. Sometimes see them around Arthurs Pass crossing or side of the road.

Same with Okirito Rd and bush.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    smidey likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

They are odd creatures, well I think so.
    Is it possible to do a poll on this forum?

Sent from my workbench

Have heard them at night in the bush around lake sumner a few times, sound like they're murdering a small child, have also seen one west side of arthurs pass township scratching around in the leaf litter on the side of the road

Saw one when I was on an army exercise in the Kaimanawas. Looked like a giant drunk hedgehog walking past my hoochie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gadgetman and smidey like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Caretaker
    Seen them down Lotkow rd in the Kawekas on the warmest nights
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

On the family farm in Northland we did the first ever kiwi recovery program undertaken in NZ when we were developing 350 acres of land from scrub into pasture. We had seen the effect of wind rowing up the crushed scrub and then burning it. The heat would drive the kiwi out into the open which was foreign to them in the day light and they would run straight back into the fire. Sad to watch.

In conjunction with DOC and 50 volunteers we undertook several weekend 'hunts' recovering birds at night in the bush before it was crushed. Not an easy task and looking back on it now its amazing no one ever got seriously hurt. A full grown kiwi at full pace on flat open ground will out pace a 6' man at full sprint. If the kiwi is running down hill, flag it. Your only real chance is chasing them up hill and hope that they run into something they cannot jump over.

Kiwis are extremely fragile, as we were to discover. Their rib cage offers very little protection and they are so incredible strong in the back legs that just trying to subdue them and get hold of the back legs can result in them being crushed and dying. Holding them by their back legs is a must, that's why you see them doing it that way on TV. There were several injuries sustained by being raked by the birds spurs.
    I think from memory we recovered around 150 birds over a couple of years on our property and the neighbors.

Now this is going back a lot of years. This early work actually a catalyst for the Kiwi House that was built at Otorohonga.
    We ended up selling a portion of the farm to DOC to form a kiwi reserve which is still there today. The block had the highest population density of kiwis anywhere in the world. On a survey night, using three parties stationed on ridge lines taking compass bearings to triangulate locations we recorded 52 individual birds call in 60 minutes!
    Unfortunately kiwi populations are declining, a direct result of cat and dog predation, and possums disrupting male birds during egg incubation. Protect your local kiwis - don't have cats, and keep your dogs under control, shoot the possums. There are cases of Kiwi reserves up north have been wiped out in a matter of months due to single roaming dogs. By the time you realize its happening its too late.
    gadgetman and smidey like this.

Yep quite a few around Te Puke. Have only seen two but its almost a guarantee to hear them if you are in the bush early or late enough.

we had 200 acres in carterton against the tararuas which had kiwi, the kids would lie awake at night listening to them, but after a 1080 drop it was all quiet. Funny that the drop was done to create a kakako corridor. arne't councils great
    EeeBees likes this.

Ejected
    I almost shot one thinking it was a possum on the ground.
    Would have eaten it if I did
    Savage1, BRADS and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

It must be amazing to have Kiwi near you or to see them while hunting - we do however have some Kiwi call imposters - amazing similarities to a Kiwi call
    A few years back I was spending a bit of time living at the farm - some bush close to the accommodation - I got a bit excited about Kiwi calling during the night - so put a post on another forum - a very knowledgeable bird man responded to me and said he hoped I was right but thought it was unlikely that there would be Kiwi in the BOP, Katikati area - he thought that it would be a Morepork and sent me a CD with the birds that sound like Kiwi
    Within a few weeks I had a Kiwi calling outside the front window - sneaked out and had a look at a lovely Morepork sitting on the fence - he showed up frequently - he had a call routine of about ten Kiwi calls at a time
    I am happy to hear any bird calls - natives, game birds and especially Blackbird, Thrush and Tui around home
    Just checked on Google and found this - https://www.kiwisforkiwi.org/about-k...cs/kiwi-calls/
    kiwijames likes this.

this is the website for our local organization that does all the work to help our kiwi, lots of good info there
    Backyard Kiwi
    I talked to the guy, Todd about having kiwi in the paddock next to our house as I am concerned about my border collie getting it. I was keen to do the dog training to "kiwi proof" him but he said it's a waste of time. the last three birds killed by dogs were killed by dogs that had done the training. He said the kiwi smell like a puppy which makes the dogs interested in them. He said other than dogs, an adult bird has no predators. They will tear up a cat no worries so if they can get a bird to survive its first year it will usually live a long life. Rats, stoats etc are the biggest threat as they get the eggs and chicks but they have killed so many pests on our area and continue to do a lot of pest eradication work kiwi numbers are high here. Todd said up to 800 now, they have released something like 30 birds but the wild population has really taken off. The work that has gone in here has had other benefits as well, they released a bunch of robin in the area recently to.
    kiwijames likes this.

Dam near shat myself the first time I heard one..right beside my ear. Was down on Stewart Island in a tent. Once I worked out what it was, went for a bit of a wander with a torch and saw heaps. Awesome wee critter to observe

@Smiley I have had 3 dogs go through avoidance training, it's worked for mine. If a kiwis on the walking track the dogs will go bush to get round it won't go near the bugger. Sent one dog into the undergrowth thinking possum, kiwi pops out and dog looks at me 'saying' that's not a possums!

On the island we are a bit spoilt with kiwi

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    @Smiley I have had 3 dogs go through avoidance training, it's worked for mine. If a kiwis on the walking track the dogs will go bush to get round it won't go near the bugger. Sent one dog into the undergrowth thinking possum, kiwi pops out and dog looks at me 'saying' that's not a possums!

On the island we are a bit spoilt with kiwi
    that's awesome. the bloke that runs backyard kiwi told me it was a waste of time so dunno.

Oh, there was one other thing he said. If the dog does kill a kiwi just let him know. Don't just bury it or whatever and especially take off the transmitter if it has one before you bury it unlike someone near me did. he tracked it to it's grave in their back yard apparently.