Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: who is making Gin ?

Gin.. Isn't that something like Waikato draft only slightly less murky but just a bad tasting?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Just like Mimms the First
    OP, check this: https://www.alembics.co.nz/how-to-guides/#gin

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    I split every distill down the middle regardless, have you tried splitting yours into two and compairing
    first half is always better i find
    thats what i use for my light spirits on a normal brew but that may be a easy way to make your brew even better
    My pot is 6lt brimful, I discard everything up to 84degrees (thermo in pot lid) then take cuts every 100ml or so, and shut it down when the cut can't be lit with a ciggy lighter.

Then I taste the first and last (bracket cuts) and decide whether they'll contribute anything and work my way into the middle, mixing everything that passes muster.
    rossi.45 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Gin.. Isn't that something like Waikato draft only slightly less murky but just a bad tasting?
    Heathen!
    rossi.45 and gonetropo like this.

a good gin is awesome, unfortunately most people opinion of gin is an rtd so full of sugar if could put you in a diabetic coma.
    many years ago while i used to repair tv's ( televisions not freaky sex guys) i had a dutch customer and having repaired her video while supposed to be just repairing her tv offered me a "square gin"
    holeeee hell. the rest of the day was blurry but not so much as he polish guy who gave me "polish water" and at the time the pope was polish and his house was decorated with crosses etc ( awesome guy that had made it thru ww2 prison camps inc the wrist tattoo) . so there was i thinking blessed water etc and it was polish vodka. at the ripe ate of 18 it just about laid me out. the tech who i was working with was laughing his head off on both occasions
    rossi.45 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    a good gin is awesome, unfortunately most people opinion of gin is an rtd so full of sugar if could put you in a diabetic coma.
    many years ago while i used to repair tv's ( televisions not freaky sex guys) i had a dutch customer and having repaired her video while supposed to be just repairing her tv offered me a "square gin"
    holeeee hell. the rest of the day was blurry but not so much as he polish guy who gave me "polish water" and at the time the pope was polish and his house was decorated with crosses etc ( awesome guy that had made it thru ww2 prison camps inc the wrist tattoo) . so there was i thinking blessed water etc and it was polish vodka. at the ripe ate of 18 it just about laid me out. the tech who i was working with was laughing his head off on both occasions
    grappa and slivovitz are worth a tot, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    thanks for the link @mimms2

i have mentioned to my old brewing mate that a 5 - 10ltr still would be the go

at this stage i am thinking the Pot Still will be ok to start but later a Reflux tower if i feel the need for a cleaner spirit for the first run . . of course i expect plans to change as i go along

this is a long term project - if it takes 6 weeks or 6 months, 6 years to get the best Gin its all good, i'm in for the long run
    Last edited by rossi.45; 05-12-2019 at 06:35 PM.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Name:  Screenshot_2019-12-05-19-16-44-1.png
Views: 170
Size:  155.8 KB

what a great lookn 10ltr Column Still on alembics website
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    Attachment 125361

what a great lookn 10ltr Column Still on alembics website
    They are very, very styley.

I haven't forked out for one yet, but it's on the list.

They will tarnish with use. I'm not planning on polishing mine when I get it. But I do belive in the "vibes" of copper. Plus it's anti-microbial. It shouldn't impart any flavour to the spirit.
    rossi.45 likes this.

Remember when i was flatting in chch and we had a party .late flatmate invited a mate of his who turned up with 3 russian sailors who had 4bottles of ????RUSSIAN VODKA.???colourless nuclear fuel
    We had a bar in the flat and i was on bar duty -fuck that stuff literally climbed out of the bottle and the vapour nearly ripped my head off.after the second bottle these guys were fucking legless -even to point where i covertly served them water shots and the downed em too.
    As bottle 3 was emptied i watched 4 grown men crawl down our passage and try to get down the front steps! Vince apparently discreetly removed bottle 4 and returned it to john suggesting russian racing fuel wasnt to the KIWI taste.
    fucking epic!!
    we had a hell of a lot of good parties in that flat -our landlord thought the bar was 101%shithot ,likewise our decorating =wallpapering whilst drinking DB @0400hrs one night IIRC after working afternoon shift is a bloody interesting experience ,unlike wallpaper paste on ya toast -served vincey right for nagging me!
    me illstick to me homebrew in the meantime.that gin reject sounds like good barrel defouler of solution for cleaning greasy car parts.

We bought a few different bottles at the Sika Show. Very good product. Going to buy some more next year.

For those of you that think all gin is shit, I suggest you try Bombay Sapphire in the distinctive blue bottle. It's super smooth and will change your mind on what gin can be. Apparently the smoothness comes from adding the flavours/ botanicals/.. -after- the distillation.
    rossi.45 likes this.

any garage sells it under the label of 91 unleaded.

Name:  20191207_192341-1-1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  2.17 MB

Copper dome for the Still arrived today 220mm high X 310mm wide

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    For those of you that think all gin is shit, I suggest you try Bombay Sapphire in the distinctive blue bottle. It's super smooth and will change your mind on what gin can be. Apparently the smoothness comes from adding the flavours/ botanicals/.. -after- the distillation.
    thats the Brand choice of my partner . . found this online

Bombay Sapphire Gin uses a Carterhead Still which contains a botanicals basket through which the vapour passes, a technique which gives a lighter flavour.
    Last edited by rossi.45; 07-12-2019 at 08:16 PM.

Donít make it, but as you may have guessed, I drink it.
    Marty Henry and rossi.45 like this.
    More meplat, more better.