Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Who's had the snip? Asking for a friend

Who's had the snip? Asking for a friend

I've got kids aged 2,3 and 5, and have managed to avoid having another, mainly by staying chaste.

My wife is very keen on me getting the snip, and I was happy to go along with this, up until I started doing some reading.

The amount of online horror stories are worrying, and range from temporary to ongoing pain, impotence, lack of sensation, loss of libido etc etc. This has me worried, but I'm not sure how representative these are. All the Dr's say that these things don't happen.

If you've had one, would you share any lasting effects you've had?

Cheers.
    More meplat, more better.

After number three, I too was adamant I didn’t want more.

Research showed strongly that it is way safer medically, emotionally and recovery wise for me to have the snip than for my wife to get her tubes tied.

Did some reseach and found poor options available in Manawatu so enbded up with A Dr in Wellington. I got it done on a Friday, followed doctors advice on recovery plan, took a week off work and light duties another week then built back into work. Fairly physical work at the time and no issues at all. Clear sample and haven’t looked back. It's great not using condoms, and the pill plays with my lady's emotions too much. None of that is a problem any more

That was back in 2008 and no lasting effects here. Had a few mates done it too with similar stories.

All the best. Only you can make that decision, but it should be a shared conversation of pros and cons.

Cheers, John
    Beaker and Blisters like this.

Best and easiest thing out. Few mates done it as a group. Done Friday back at work on Monday. No side effects. Easy simple and safe

Quote Originally Posted by Sako 243 View Post

Research showed strongly that it is way safer medically, emotionally and recovery wise for me to have the snip than for my wife to get her tubes tied.

Did some reseach and found poor options available in Manawatu so enbded up with A Dr in Wellington. I got it done on a Friday, followed doctors advice on recovery plan, took a week off work and light duties another week then built back into work. Fairly physical work at the time and no issues at all. Clear sample and haven’t looked back. It's great not using condoms, and the pill plays with my lady's emotions too much. None of that is a problem any more

That was back in 2008 and no lasting effects here. Had a few mates done it too with similar stories.

All the best. Only you can make that decision, but it should be a shared conversation of pros and cons.

Cheers, John
    Think I had the snip in 2001. Took the afternoon off. No issues. Funniest bit was the checks afterwards and the very concerned sounding young lady phoning from the lab with the news that there were no live swimmers.
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

easy, done in the morning 10km run in the afternoon and no ongoing side effects and it makes a real postive difference to your partners thinking that they dont have to worry anymore in your favour.......
    Xорошая охота была, Нормальная, вполне

No issues for me either.
    Had it done Friday afternoon and back at work Monday.
    You may need to take an extra day or two off if you have a job requiring heavy lifting.
    Pays to shave your nuts before you go.... unless you like someone else doing that for you.

had it done at 23-24 before any kids. best move i ever made.
    Dama dama likes this.

There’s a thread on here about 6 months ago about the same issue so search back and you’ll get all the answers.
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sako 243 View Post

Cheers, John
    Exactly and well said.

Had it done 40 years ago when I was 30 and it never affected my libido until just recently

The river stays the same, just no fish.
    Beaker, Gibo, Mathias and 1 others like this.

That last line B
    kiwijames likes this.

Had it done over 40 years ago, back then the two pieces of tube they cut out were sent to what was known then as DSIR for verification that doctor had cut out the right pieces...I could tell you I had it done without anesthetic, run a marathon that afternoon and bonked the missus that night but it would all be bullshit...the next day the balls were as black as a black labs nuts, done on a Friday and back at work Monday...being a forklift driver made that a bit easier...the only problem I had was when out fishing and standing up while travelling it felt like an eight ounce sinker in each side of the ball bag was being jumped up and down...and then after all that the bitch up and left me, only funny thing was she was so used to not being on the pill she got pregnant...twins to boot.
    Moa Hunter and 40mm like this.

Good lord, this brings back memories.

Yes, had it done in about 1980 after the third child turned out to be twins. Definitely didn't want child number five. Had it done on a Friday night and was back at work on Sunday. Read accounts of vasectomies giving rise to hardened arteries and all the rest of that crap. Maybe true, maybe not, but at the end of the day we all have to die of something.

Have always kept a healthy lifestyle. Was still running marathons at 55 years of age. After a rest of about 5 years I am back into running. I try to keep a fitness level where I can run 20 kms without notice. In other words, if a fellow runner rings up and asks if I want to do a 20 -25 run that evening, I can. I do minimum of 100 press-ups everyday as well as other weight training, as the fancy takes me. I walk at minimum of 20,000 steps on most days, fell trees and chop it by hand for firewood for ourselves and others, work in a job where I have to, at times, muscle up to some of NZ's best criminal class, recently started back into hunting, considering taking up new employment in pest capture and destruction (emphasis on pigs), collect my pension next year and look forward to keeping up my present lifestyle for at least another 40 years. Oh, and by the way, on marriage 3 1/2. Don't ask about the 1/2; you don't want to know.

Libido? Trust me, it's still there. That said, good nights of uninterrupted sleep have become more meaningful to me,
    1/. as I get older and
    2/. still being a shift worker,
    however, a younger wife doesn't give one a lot of peace at times....but damned if I would change anything.

At the end of the day I think a vasectomy is a wise and considerate choice. Us men seem to survive it a lot better than some of the procedures that women have to go through. It also gives you and your spouse complete peace of mind of not having to worry about another unexpected surprise. Trust me I know. My first wife and I had only five days warning that we were going to be getting twins rather than just the one we were expecting.

It's all about your frame of mind. If you can get over all the bullshit, macho nonsense about loss of virility, yada, yada, yada, and you have a positive attitude, your life goes on as normal, but without the frightening prospect of an unexpected child.

My 2 cents worth.

Just remember though, what my Grandmother always used to tell me. "Free advice, at times, is worth only what you pay for it."

Cheers
    Phil
    Moa Hunter, Blisters and DemocKot like this.

Stock up on frozen peas and you’ll be set
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Had it done in May. Piss of piss, doc gave me two valium and a whiskey neat. Bay Urology mate, best in the bizo
    Kiwi Greg, gadgetman and Mathias like this.

What are the frozen peas for? (Also asking for a friend).

I had a late-life Jewish intervention involving two inches and a request to make a pen holder for the wife, that experience makes me VERY circumspect about anyone going near my meat and two veg with a knife again. With stitches in, the first morning wood just about killed me through blood loss.

So as I said, very uninspired about taking this on as a life experience...
    Moa Hunter likes this.