Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Why are PLBs so expensive?

Why are PLBs so expensive?

I see they found an injured tramper after a week. Authorities were quick to say they would have helped him sooner if he had had a PLB. No kidding . . . lol.
    There's no doubt that they are "worth their weight in gold". But why are beacons soooooooo expensive. Are the insides made of gold? Or are people cashing in on security needs?
    “For us hunting wasn’t a sport. It was a way to be intimate with nature, that intimacy providing us with wild unprocessed food free from pesticides and hormones and with the bonus of having been produced without the addition of great quantities of fossil fuel. . . . . . . . We lived close to the animals we ate. We knew their habits and that knowledge deepened our thanks to them and the land that made them.”
    ― Ted Kerasote, Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog

Given what we spend on huning, fishing, tramping or other outdoor sports I don't think 500 buck for a PLB is that out there.

Sure spending 500 bucks on something you might never need (hopefully) is a bit of a headf^&k but better that than the alturnitive
    BRADS likes this.

Having used one this roar I'd pay twice as much if needed
    But yes they are a few $ will follow thread with interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, they should be subsidised to some extent. Surely money saved in more efficient searches could be re channelled for this purpose.
    Mind you, they are cheaper than they used to be 5 years ago already. It's now cheaper for me to buy a new unit than have my Kannard XS3 re certified which is a pointless shame.

I didn't think the Price was too bad, Definitely more important then having an extra rifle in the safe and much cheaper too
    BRADS likes this.

Some are around 3 spot now so that's not bad. That's not even a decent jacket or a weekend on the piss
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    I agree, they should be subsidised to some extent. Surely money saved in more efficient searches could be re channelled for this purpose.
    Mind you, they are cheaper than they used to be 5 years ago already. It's now cheaper for me to buy a new unit than have my Kannard XS3 re certified which is a pointless shame.
    Subsidised by who?
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Subsidised by who?
    Good question, some one else hopefully.

There's a guy in Aus you can buy NZ coded KTI brand ones through. Landed in NZ for ~$350 I think. Good deal.

But I agree, they are too expensive.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    I don't think plb's are saving the tax payer money... Think how many more search and rescues are now conducted, I'm sure the chopper company's with the search and rescue contracts income will have increased a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    I don't think plb's are saving the tax payer money... Think how many more search and rescues are now conducted, I'm sure the chopper company's with the search and rescue contracts income will have increased a bit.
    I think that a chopper responding to a PLB alert and flying in for a recovery is a way better option for all concerned than a long and possibly expensive search, covering a large area.
    gadgetman and GravelBen like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Yes, the financial savings are in the efficiency of it.

Wasn't there some mob (NZDA?) that was hiring them out ? Thought I read that somewhere.
    That mob mentioned above has them for about $350- ish, that's not so bad considering what it may cost you if a medical problem worsens through lack of quick treatment.
    My missus is making noises now about me getting one, and with my track record of falling up, off and over things and breaking large bones it probably isn't a bad idea.
    What is the story though, as they become more regularly used, with rescue cost recovery?
    I can imagine some types would activate theirs for a broken shoelace, or when the solar powered latte machine stops working.
    Pengy likes this.

That's what I was getting at with my comments. Before a plb if you broke you're arm, rib or whatever you would likely just walk out now it would be onto the plb for a lot of people. I think there would be a large spike in search and rescue operations over the last few years. Would be interesting to see a graph

You can hire them for small $$. This is one of many that provide the service
    Rescue Beacon Hire / www.rescuebeaconhire.co.nz - Welcome Rescue Beacon Hire

I guess it depends on how often you think you may need to carry one as to whether you buy or not. Mine stays with me even when out driving.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1