Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Why We Ride

Caretaker

Why We Ride

Good summer fun

WHY WE RIDE: mid-life crisis philosophy & motorbike riding - YouTube

Who else is covering a bit of ground on two wheels this coming summer ?
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

res
    I'm planing a very long trip (exact length still to be determined) in Mongolia visiting fly fishing spots.
    Should be around five weeks
    7mmsaum, Shearer and 57jl like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Banned
    When I moved of farm 4 years ago I almost held onto my stockman and considerd shedding some weight of it..........but I didnt

Dam.
    Now I want another bike.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    7mmsaum and gadgetman like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Mind says hell yes.....body says hell no...dam trees
    7mmsaum likes this.

P38
    +1 for getting around on two wheels

I got this beauty on my bucket list.

Postie Bike Challenge - home

Just waiting on the Bro In-law to get the time off.

Cheers
    Pete

NZ is big enough for me. I am never going to get to explore all of it on my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Good summer fun

WHY WE RIDE: mid-life crisis philosophy & motorbike riding - YouTube

Who else is covering a bit of ground on two wheels this coming summer ?
    Am a road racer of some years, with a trophy or two, and I like riding in the real world as well, weather it be the Akaroa GP type rides or two up long distance. My idea of a good day out on the bike is "round the block" ie: Christchurch through Arthurs, up to Westport, across to Springs and back down to Christchurch, once did Christchurch to Picton, across to Nelson, down to Westport, through Greymouth and back through Arthurs to home in a day with the wife on the back!

Why do I ride?, I tend to ride exploiting as much as I can from a bikes performance parameters (depending on the limiting factors of the real world) because I am part of the experience, in a way you can never be in a car, the wife has a fast and well sorted European car that is a fast and capable drive, but it is just not the same feel of total involvement.

When (on the track, not advised in the real world!) you approach a corner really hot, controlling the front, rear light and wanting to start backing in, then bang it in controlling the rate of brake release to match the rate of turn and lean used- on your knee into the apex, exactly where you want, then pick the bike up on the gas and drive it out hard, spinning a little to help finish the turn and relieve the rear spring, and you get it right, orgasmic! the feeling is not matched by pretty much anything else on the planet, perfection that cannot be matched, except by doing the same thing but faster and faster, until you overstep the limits of your ability or the bike, and crash. Your entire universe narrows down to one small dot in time. But that is me, other people ride for different reasons to me and get their enjoyment in other ways.

One of my utter pet hates is: midlife crisis man, who because he now has money and time, and once rode a bike when he was young, goes out and buys a pair of wheels and goes out riding looking for somewhere to go have a crash, because, midlife crisis man cannot ride for shit to start with, and bikes have moved on so far in the last 25 years that he ( his brain/focus/awareness/skills/reaction speeds) is always several seconds behind the world he is riding through. Go check the ACC stats for who is doing all the avoidable crashing and getting killed and injured. Save you some time: midlife crisis man.

The world has changed, the cars are faster and being driven by more fuckwits than ever before, the truck drivers/campervan/boat towers/Harley riders are more obstructive and careless than ever before, the bikes are faster and sharper, but there is no requirement to prove your ability to survive an environment that looks to get the unwary. ACC funds courses to help current)and aspiring) riders understand both the environment and their bike and how to enjoy both and live. Combination of classroom, track and real world. I have a mate who is a professional instructor and I have on occasion helped out on the track days skills and control training (when work allows), some of what you see is scary, and needs addressed. Find your local trainer, ask about the ACC funded courses, get on one, and you will have some fun and do some good learning at the same time.

Betcha weren't looking for that mouthfull
    Scouser, Shearer, res and 1 others like this.

haha anyone seen that Harley riders are fags episode of south park?
    P38 and Shearer like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    haha anyone seen that Harley riders are fags episode of south park?
    And they can't be arsed waving either.

Check out this for a ride.

Bloke I know is currently riding from Townsville to Sydney......... Heading for the start of the Black Dog.
    Name:  Black dog ride.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  65.4 KB

Could be one for the bucket list too.

Cheers
    Pete
    7mmsaum likes this.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Am a road racer of some years, with a trophy or two, and I like riding in the real world as well, weather it be the Akaroa GP type rides or two up long distance. My idea of a good day out on the bike is "round the block" ie: Christchurch through Arthurs, up to Westport, across to Springs and back down to Christchurch, once did Christchurch to Picton, across to Nelson, down to Westport, through Greymouth and back through Arthurs to home in a day with the wife on the back!

Why do I ride?, I tend to ride exploiting as much as I can from a bikes performance parameters (depending on the limiting factors of the real world) because I am part of the experience, in a way you can never be in a car, the wife has a fast and well sorted European car that is a fast and capable drive, but it is just not the same feel of total involvement.

When (on the track, not advised in the real world!) you approach a corner really hot, controlling the front, rear light and wanting to start backing in, then bang it in controlling the rate of brake release to match the rate of turn and lean used- on your knee into the apex, exactly where you want, then pick the bike up on the gas and drive it out hard, spinning a little to help finish the turn and relieve the rear spring, and you get it right, orgasmic! the feeling is not matched by pretty much anything else on the planet, perfection that cannot be matched, except by doing the same thing but faster and faster, until you overstep the limits of your ability or the bike, and crash. Your entire universe narrows down to one small dot in time. But that is me, other people ride for different reasons to me and get their enjoyment in other ways.

One of my utter pet hates is: midlife crisis man, who because he now has money and time, and once rode a bike when he was young, goes out and buys a pair of wheels and goes out riding looking for somewhere to go have a crash, because, midlife crisis man cannot ride for shit to start with, and bikes have moved on so far in the last 25 years that he ( his brain/focus/awareness/skills/reaction speeds) is always several seconds behind the world he is riding through. Go check the ACC stats for who is doing all the avoidable crashing and getting killed and injured. Save you some time: midlife crisis man.

The world has changed, the cars are faster and being driven by more fuckwits than ever before, the truck drivers/campervan/boat towers/Harley riders are more obstructive and careless than ever before, the bikes are faster and sharper, but there is no requirement to prove your ability to survive an environment that looks to get the unwary. ACC funds courses to help current)and aspiring) riders understand both the environment and their bike and how to enjoy both and live. Combination of classroom, track and real world. I have a mate who is a professional instructor and I have on occasion helped out on the track days skills and control training (when work allows), some of what you see is scary, and needs addressed. Find your local trainer, ask about the ACC funded courses, get on one, and you will have some fun and do some good learning at the same time.

Betcha weren't looking for that mouthfull
    Weren't expecting that, that's for sure.

However your not wrong.

I've picked up a fair few of said midlife crisis riders tits up in the ditch.

Some of which haven't survived their fall or the chopper ride into hospital.

Some of those who have survived have realised what has happened and changed their behaviour, sadly the majority who survive seem to blame everything else for their error in judgement other than themselves.

Take a ride with any Uselesseys branch and you will see plenty of what 257weatherby has just described.

Cheers
    pete

And you guys keep paying the fees to fund their accidents! 61cc scooter 400 odd bucks to register, I think that's what one of my guys told me the other day
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    And you guys keep paying the fees to fund their accidents! 61cc scooter 400 odd bucks to register, I think that's what one of my guys told me the other day
    Yep

800cc Fat Boy Bike $592/yr

However I feel sorry for the over 2.6L diesel owners $604/yr

Vehicle registration and licensing fees | NZ Transport Agency

WTF's with that!

Cheers
    Pete

That's me!!! Tax tax tax tax tax RUC went up the other day as well!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Fulla
    iv had a few bikes. I found it cheaper to pay the no rego fine if your pulled up. which hardly ever happens on long trips unless your looking fast. three no rego tickets and your breaking even on rego costs. well for my 1000 cc bike.
    P38 likes this.